F1 2020

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Viva Russell! Woot...woot! Sainz is solid as is Perez. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Fifty

Reaction
At the end of the day, this race really pours fuel on the “is it the car or is it Hamilton”.

toto doesn’t want another Nico Lewis, and Ferrari was too stupid to realize it. They had a perfect primary driver and team mate who didn’t care and was happy to be a team mate. They built the car around vettel and they were winning...

ferrari decided on a Nico Lewis team mate strategy in trade for special favors from the FiA (leclercs manager is Jean Todts son). Now the team has fallen apart and the car is built for leclerc and it will be two years into an engine freeze before they will get wins on the constant. Carlos won’t play second fiddle and they will crash into each other and it will be Infighting.

back to mercedes, Toto knows bottas is not as good as Hamilton and the car is built for Hamilton and Hamilton always gets first strategy. And toto knows bottas will get pissed, mutter and then do what he is told.

merc had the chance to sign max this last year and chose not to and signed bottas again. Max would have gone over too.

anyways I personally think Lewis should retire. 7 is enough. He will either retire or sign a $55m contract during the winter break when he hopes no one is watching.

whoever takes his seat if he leaves will win the WDC next year. I hope it’s Russell.

as for Perez, I think he is a better driver attack wise than stroll. Perez gets priority parts and priority strategy over stroll. This helps his points haul.
todays win I don’t think is a testemant as to how good he is, it’s a testament to how his early pit and the top 4 cars out of the race.

I find it odd when people want to consider vehicle management in the quality of one driver but not the other. Or accident cause dnf. That happens a lot when it comes to “favorites” and then with the unpopular it becomes a forgotten topic or “if they were a better driver they wouldn’t have been near a crash”

I am surprised a smaller team isn’t taking checo as he comes with $12m-20m depending... or did he loose his phone sponsor????
:mad:

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Great race! Kudo's to Checo for his first win. Sainz was a beast and George did amazingly well in an unfamiliar car that he literally doesn't fit into. If RB keeps Albon over Perez they will regret it....IMO.

JerryB

Reaction
Always wondered how "identical" the cars really are/were between team mates, today answered that question, not much. Now I will admit I am not and never really have been much of a Hamilton fan, but always respected his driving talent, or so I thought. After today, I think it's pretty clear it's his car. Russel put the boots to Bottas from the git-go. Russel on a couple of occasions over the radio, even told the team he could go a few tenths faster if needed, based on Bottas' pace.

For Russel to hop into Lewis's car and gap Bottas, who has been with the team for what 3 seasons now, to me clearly shows Lewis's car is by far leaps and bounds above what they're providing Bottas. There has always been a hierarchy in F1 between teams, but I really wish the drivers (of the same team) were supplied cars on an even playing field. Long story short, I have a little less respect for Lewis's driving talent now, I respect his car instead.

Fifty

Reaction
Vandoorne gave an interview after he was let go from mclaren confirming the rumors about Alonso’s contract stating that he always gets strategy preference and parts preference. The rumors started when he was at Ferrari and it continued after. Apparently he got that after his first wdc at Renault and kept demanding.

the bigger thing to focus on is that the teams build the cars around a single
Driver. For instance vettel likes a car that has push. The first few years of the Ferrari had tons of rear grip. Kimi didnt cate and knew he was there as a blocker wingman.
Leclerc steered sauber to a nose tight, tail loose car and Ferrari brought that into their redesigned back half when they changed their rear arms.
Vettel started spinning. Leclerc started winning.

but yea, they build both cars focused on their lead driver.
It’s too expensive to engineer two different aero packages associated with different car characteristics.
Heck, they are saying the brake ducts account for effecting 20% of the downforce and aero slip vs drag....

JerryB

Reaction
Vandoorne gave an interview after he was let go from mclaren confirming the rumors about Alonso’s contract stating that he always gets strategy preference and parts preference. The rumors started when he was at Ferrari and it continued after. Apparently he got that after his first wdc at Renault and kept demanding.

the bigger thing to focus on is that the teams build the cars around a single
Driver. For instance vettel likes a car that has push. The first few years of the Ferrari had tons of rear grip. Kimi didnt cate and knew he was there as a blocker wingman.
Leclerc steered sauber to a nose tight, tail loose car and Ferrari brought that into their redesigned back half when they changed their rear arms.
Vettel started spinning. Leclerc started winning.

but yea, they build both cars focused on their lead driver.
It’s too expensive to engineer two different aero packages associated with different car characteristics.
Heck, they are saying the brake ducts account for effecting 20% of the downforce and aero slip vs drag....
I do recall reading some of that regarding Vettle's performance, or lack thereof after going to Ferrari. Adrian designed the redbull around his driving style, and I think the rear diffuser back then was to his style also. I get the teams building a car around a "preferred" or lead driver, but I'll never agree with it. And for certain his (Russel) performance in the car gives me a whole new outlook on Hamilton's driving prowess, he is a great driver, but his car is ridiculously fast and sticks like no other. No other car on the grid can keep pace with his car right now, barring the occasional day where the track happens to suit a redbull, racing point or renault.

Bricoop

Reaction
I don’t buy the performance delta being car related. George is clearly one of the most talented drivers in the field. Once Russ got a better jump there’s nothing that can be done with these heavy aero packages. Notice Max had a better start than Bottas.

When Russ passed Bottas later in the race he was in fresher tires and took a much better line (Mick Schumacher used that line multiple times in the Saturday F2 race, which is definitely worth the watch). I believe Bottas’ deficiencies are hidden by the Merc.

Even in FP1 and FP2 Bottas looked poor. Constantly locking up his tire. “get it together Valterie”-the announcers

In regards to is it Hamilton or is it the car? I truely believe it is both. I was not a fan of Lewis during his first few championships. I found him to be arrogant and Merc clearly had a car that was better than the field. So much so I believe they detuned it. What I’ve noticed recently is how easy Hamilton is on the car and the tires. My opinion of Hamilton changed after seeing him set a fastest lap on old old tires right at the end of a race-I think it was the ‘19 Mexican GP.

PS-George has removed all Williams from his social media and Bottas has removed all Mercedes!

Fifty

Reaction
Sadly with F1 today more than ever, drivers are driving 8/10’s the entire race.
how many races did Williams set the fastest lap while coming in last?

that is sad.

But it’s a product of tire limitations and power unit limits. Bring back the cheap n/a or turbo motors and 20 units per car per year and you will have them sprinting the whole time.

I think hankiton is a better driver than bottas, but I think there are 6-7 drivers on the grid that would give Hamilton a run for his money.
So yea it’s the car. But that’s also part of F1. It’s not supposed to be solely a drivers championship like nascar or Indy which is even more cookie cutter than f1.

Newey said it best: give the teams 120 kilos of fuel per race. But let each team decide what type of engine they want. V8, v10, turbo 4 etc.

get rid of front wings and rear wings, or make them much smaller and then open the center of the car and the floor to unlimited.

Fifty

Reaction
Last thing. I haven’t read the news today. I bet Hamilton is scrambking to get back into his seat. He has more to loose than bottas. Everyone things bottas is going to loose his seat.

bottas is signed already and is signed to be the wingman.

hamilton isn’t signed and is very expensive not just in base salary but in points bonus and wdc bonus. At a minimum of $50k a point and more likely $100k a point it adds up.
I think Renault contract would give ricciardo a million for a race win on top of points.

anyways, if Russell can prove to pip bottas two races in a row hamilton will not be signed for next year. Toto will tell him to retire and he will on a “7 championships should be the limit, I’m bowing out to give the younger guys a chance” and Mercedes will put someone else in the Williams and promote a diversity drive to f2 and f3 in honor of Lewis.

lewis does not want russel in that car next weekend

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
If he feels no love from Merc with negotiations could LH go to RB and get some championships with them? It would make me lol
to see him go somewhere new and still win..

Fifty

Reaction
I don’t think he will win a championship with RB. They have no need to change the build of the car toward him from max.
Plus even with a hard charger, an attacker, I don’t think he can beat a hard charging attacker in a merc.
Hamilton, if he gets the hang of the RB, would still be fighting for 2nds and only grab firsts on days merc screwed up...

pretty much how max finishes now.
I’d be curious if you had 10 races, with max and Hamilton in the merc for 5 and then both in the RB for 5.
Who would do better?
I think Hamilton is smoother but gets flustered if things aren’t perfect. I think max is hungrier and even though Hamilton can attack through better than bottas, I think max can attack and defend better than Hamilton.
And I don’t like either. Although max has grown on me a little this year.

JerryB

Reaction
Sadly with F1 today more than ever, drivers are driving 8/10’s the entire race.
how many races did Williams set the fastest lap while coming in last?

that is sad.

But it’s a product of tire limitations and power unit limits. Bring back the cheap n/a or turbo motors and 20 units per car per year and you will have them sprinting the whole time.

I think hankiton is a better driver than bottas, but I think there are 6-7 drivers on the grid that would give Hamilton a run for his money.
So yea it’s the car. But that’s also part of F1. It’s not supposed to be solely a drivers championship like nascar or Indy which is even more cookie cutter than f1.

Newey said it best: give the teams 120 kilos of fuel per race. But let each team decide what type of engine they want. V8, v10, turbo 4 etc.

get rid of front wings and rear wings, or make them much smaller and then open the center of the car and the floor to unlimited.
Agreed and that was my part of my point, there are many talented drivers on the grid, you are no slouch if you've made it to F1 (normally) and I think just about any one of the current drivers would kill it too if they hopped into LH car. Which proves my point, well maybe not prove but you get where I'm going. LH ain't all that and a slice of bread but Mercedes has given him a wicked fast car.

Fifty

Reaction
Agreed.
I find it hilarious when someone says another driver sucks when he completed the same 3+ mile lap and was point 3 seconds slower..... or less... Not a single bad driver on the grid. Just ones with money and ones with out, and ones that are team players and ones that are not. I think the big thing today is if you can develop a car. Haas always said tha Grosjean was kept because he can develop a car, and always points the car in the correct direction engineering wise. And on his good days he is as fast as anyone else if not faster. And this last year, KMag was given a chance to prove he could be a team leaser and develpment driver. The car failed worse than ever. Thats the real reason they both got canned. And Mazipin's dad is likely to buy Haas after he settles his lawsuit against force india, racing point, the administrators and mercedes. Unfortunately for him, I believe the judge said Mercedes and Mr Stroll have no place in the suit so the big dollars are gone. So that leaves Mr India, and more so the administrators. He will never get ownership of racing point, so its purely money.

But as for Hami, I agree. He is more hungry than bottas, and the car is designed for him specific. But if the rumors are true about his instgram forshadowing him leaving merc at the end of the season, Russell and hami are going to eat each other.

Bottas FB stil shows Merc stuff and russels fb shows williams. But those may be contractual.

If russel and hami are in the car together, its Max's turn to win the WDC. Those two will be fighting after their first race together and Hamilton disobeys strategy orders for quali

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Soooo....I think most peeps want to see Perez at Red Bull next year. Albon didn't absolutely chit the bed, but the sheets still don't smell too good. RB needs a GOOD/GREAT wingman for Max so they can contend for the constructors championship. The Honda PU is damn good and Honda will want to exit on a high note. With Perez next to Max they have a chance...with Albon...no chance. But...and a big 'but', if Merc sniffs that RB is a threat for the constructors championship (very lucrative) then I think they will ditch Bottas, and Russell will be in there for Merc. Russell is likely to be told to play second fiddle to Sir Lewis, but when the dog (Russell) sees the meat (gap) he will go for it. This would be mega entertaining ala Lewis/Nico. Love the circus that is F1.

Fifty

Reaction
I’m not entirely sure albon has the same car power wise as max. The main things to notice with albon ks strategy strategy startegy.
Albon always gets sub prime and a different tire than max during q2 and q3 (if he makes it). And his trap speeds are always down compared to max.
This is the weird part. Because his corner speeds are slower and his straight line is slower.

look at Williams, their straight line is faster because they generate less drag. But their corner speed is down and braking is earlier because they generate less down force.
It is no secret that the Thai 51% want to stay in F1. But DM wants out. Which is why he changed Toto Rosso to a fake clothing brand.
He is waiting to see if merc pulls.Renault is doing the same. Hence their name change.

merc rb heck even fiat Chrysler said they would pull Ferrari of merc and rb left.
Merc said if rb left they would. Rb said if merc or Ferrari or Renault left they would.

Honda left. Williams left. Mclaren is trying to leave. Haas is hoping Mazipin will buy him out.

Aston Martin is looking to pull a Toyota a la wrc... be the only real factory team in the sport. Win everything to re create the badge because nobody will know the sport sucks anyways.
And then after 4-5 years, sell to vw who will do the same, and then they will sell to....

Anyways, the Thai family won’t let DM sell the f1 team. So if they poison the driver then they won’t want to stay in. And then he can sell.

Fifty

Reaction
If you look at albon last season in his first half season in the RB, he was laying the beat down to max.

JerryB

Reaction
If you look at albon last season in his first half season in the RB, he was laying the beat down to max.
Max has always been his own worst enemy. He has gotten better, but give him another year or 2 before we'll see his real potential....provided he still has a competitive ride. Albon is more consistent, level headed if you will. Problem is he's consistently slower.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
If you’re old like me from back when go kart tracks were round and the karts were slow you remember the pure joy of getting the kart with the new tires and how you could pretty much lap all your friends. That’s George Russell right now in F1. He’s pretty much proving Hammy is good but so are all the other guys and his greatness has more to do with his team than anything else.