F1 2021

Fifty

Reaction
Hamilton could help foot that bill....

Fifty

Reaction
F1 or the race promoter? My point is that he is quick to call for a refund yet he will be happily accepting his points bonus.
Someone from merc let slip his 2020 salary. $87m from salary and points alone. $4.x million a race... his preaching rear should kick down too...

Now while I agree there should be something done for the fans in attendance... it’s hypocritical of him to demand things on TV before he is aware of the discussions.
Monday race... another event on one of the cancelled dates... a full refund... a partial (depending on how many support classes ran that day and their weight in the advertising of the event etc)

I wonder if Hamilton would be happy if FOM took 1/20th of the 2021 payments and gave them spread out to the fans?

after all... that’s what would be fair...

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I’m not a merc fan or a hammy fan so any race that cuts into their lead is fine with me. Spa for sure needs to offer free tickets to those in attendance for next years race

Fifty

Reaction
So bottas to Alfa and russel to merc... albon to williams... and then the De Vries question.
The rumors of Toto trying to stop williams from being able to confirm the albon intake and releasing Russell to give toto the excuse to keep bottas and make Hamilton happy we’re true.
But looks like williams management want albon and RB insider tech to match up with their merc tech.

drama drama drama... F1 circus version of “the days of our lives”

on a real note, this track looks awesome. I hope the midfield comes up in it. It’s either going to be impossible to pass or littered with driver mistakes and over driving fun!

coolerking

Reaction
I thought they should have run a time attack type of thing to give the fans a show, one car at a time, no issue with visibility, see who is fast in the super wet conditions.

Bricoop

Reaction
What a race. Hopefully the 2022 car fixes the quali issues, too dangerous in it's current format. Also, get rid of the sausage curbs. Drivers need safe run-off areas, not to be thrown into the air, ESPECIALLY in an open wheel car.

I think what was missed by people is if Max's foot was on the gas when rolling over Lewis, Lewis likely would be dead. Lewis is quite lucky the car stopped where it did. Max tried to take off. If that wheel was parked on his head or behind him, it likely would be fatal.

Last edited:

bajaherbie

Reaction
The back of the Halo needs to be raised up a few inches. Seems like the Indy car Halo is higher in the back.

I wonder what R Grojean thinks of the Indy car vs. F1 halo device?

Fifty

Reaction
Oof… halo Definitly saved Hamilton’s life for sure.

I am suprised Verstappen got a penalty. Race incident. It was as much the sausage curb as Hamilton running him wide when he earned a cars length as it was max could have dived out.

bugs me a little that once the stewards made their decision Hamilton came out with all the holy roller stuff.
I guess no one will point out what Hamilton was yelling at max when he got out of the Rb. Hamilton has stopped the “he didn’t even check on me” line.

(I’m not a max fan but Hamilton is making me want max to win… and russel to smoke him next year)

anyone else notice vettel keeps requesting the Fia to not punish mick every time he is supposed to get a penalty? He hit vettel this weekend… no penalty when they are handing 5 sec ones to everyone.

no penalty for impeding last race either…

Bricoop

Reaction
Yea, the broadcast did a poor job of that. Other videos have shown Max didn't ignore Lewis. I haven't seen any videos of Lewis yelling at max. If youre opponent is trying to reverse out, you can assume they are ok.

I am admittedly not a Max fan. I respect his talent, but his ego gets to me. I don't dislike max, I just don't root for him. I'd prefer to root for Norris, Sainz, or Russell type of attitude. I think Max is going through the growing pains of becoming a champion. If he wants space, he needs to give space. Patience is almost as valuable as speed. Max has always raced super aggressively and its been controversial. Part of this is what makes him so much fun to watch.

It's unfortunate it happened next to that sausage curb. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for the FIA. Drivers do a pretty good job of giving an advantage back after leaving the track (except Perez), no need to have something like that on the track. Maybe putting them on the exit makes sense, but drivers need run off. Max had the opportunity to go over those curbs, but chose not to.

Fifty

Reaction
If you find the 360° footage from max nose, if they don’t cut it short, after he gets out and starts walking back toward Hamilton you hear hami yelling at him. It’s hard to hear what it is on my iPhone with my two kids screaming.

one of my big gripes with Fia and the stewards is no consistency in rules or punishments.
The rule has always been if your (max) front tire is in front of his (Lewis )rear tire, then Lewis has to give a cars width through the corner.
And in worst case then max needed to have his front tire mid way or better to Lewis car.

the very fact that they bumped before the sausage curb while max right side (from drivers perspective) tires were on the white line meant Lewis was not… and then the push even more toward the suasage line meant Lewis broke that rule even more.

I would call it a racing incident because it was the curb that caused both card to dnf, but I’d say Hamilton violated the leaving s car width rule.

for those saying max should have not gone for the pass… it’s racing… and in cookie cutter spec racing which F1 has really become, you can only pass in drs or late Brake chicken or turn in chicken..,

and that’s what this is…

I want to say it became a penalty because Hamilton said his neck hurt.

Bricoop

Reaction
To me it sounds like a track worker yelling "Basta" Aka "stop" as max was heading onto the track. Max was fine to walk away at that point as Lewis was trying to pull the car away.

I agree it should have been a racing incident. I'm not sure what the rule is supposed to be, but it sure seems judgemental. Max was off the racing line at the point of contact and maybe that's why they ruled as they did. Really it just seems like a maturity thing to me. I took some screenshots below. The incidents are very similar. If Max wants to race people like this, he needs to be prepared for the same.

Check out this video from earlier.

Turn in-they are dead even.

1631740997908.png

Notice the Mclaren line

1631741034607.png

Max's line

1631741100849.png

Max off the racing line

1631741174801.png

and no room after

1631741201961.png

Meanwhile the accident looks like this.

Max gainging but still way back of Lewis.

1631742895600.png

Lewis had a clear advantage on turn in.

1631741669260.png

Max continued to squeeze up to Lewis. But the next turn was ruined and Lewis is still leading through the corner. Max should have backed off.

1631742167972.png

Lewis doesn't leave enough space here. Probably needed to give another 2 feet.

1631742270899.png

Just before the contact. Max turns in, hits curb and bounces into Lewis.
1631742446744.png

Attachments

• 1631741581178.png
    1631741581178.png
    425.1 KB · Views: 0

Fifty

Reaction
My biggest argument against comparing the lap 1 turn 4 incident and the lap what ever turn 2 crash… is the stewards and the drivers agreed that lap one battles would be overlooked.
so they all drive like idiots at some point and drive each other off the road or will take exits because they know the rules are lax… also the turn is opposite, and the curbs are different, so is the exit run etc.

If they wanted to compare other turn one battles then sure… but turn 4 from lap 1 is too different.