F1 controversy

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Anyone keeping up on the F1 controversy with all their rule changes, and the battles between Max Mosely and the McClaren and Williams teams. <A target=" blank" HREF=http://www.planet-f1.com>www.planet-f1.com</A> has the full script of the letters that were sent to Max, and the letter that Max sent in reply, pretty good stuff. I must say I'm kind of with the McClaren and Williams teams on this one, F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing engineering and design. Like Frank told Max, "we wouldn't go out and build these cars if we didn't think we had a chance to beat them (Ferrari)".

Bill Schmitt

MNotary

Reaction
I don't know... I think Ron and Frank should concentrate on racing instead of the courts...

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Yeah, doesn't look like Max is gonna take any crap either.

Can you believe their budgets though? The top teams are spending as much as $400 Million per year, while the smaller teams are spending between $60-$70 Million. That's absoutely unbelievable.

Bill Schmitt

martininsocal

Reaction
Guys- F1 has looked west and seen the up and coming. Nascar has delivered the latest way to expose motorsports through close competition. While I think there should always be a Trophy Truck or unlimited class 1 or Formula car with no rules, the fan market has taken a liking to close competition with teh "anyone can win on any given day" format. I think that si what F1 is trying to strive for, right or wrong. Why would they be trying to "produce" more independent teams? The same reason our Trophy Trucks are run by independent teams now, the factories look at costs and say "we can spend less in another venue and get the same return" How much do you think RCR or DEI or Rousch is spending on their multi car programs? Not any where near what F1 spends ( the 2 teams that were outspending everyone and winning everything).
Ther havebeen some other problems with F1 that really don't get addressed the way they should. Driver safety, Car speeds, etc... While we all love to see a working Trophy Truck hooked up and doing 75+ through a rough section, how many of us woudl like to see it reach a speed where the driver would die if they lost control? We have been fairly lucky with the injury rate vs. Speed reached in teh desert. Nascar keeps car spepds artificially low through aero packages, fuel supply limits, N/A motors, etc... and yes, much of that is done to keep speeds in SAFE limits. How many remember Rooby G. going out and testing on a superspeedway without a restrictor plate? And the following fine from Nascar? Nascar understands that if you lose all your heroes to high speed crashes, you lose yoru race fans to those same crashes. F1 has seen some losses in the last few years, they have faced some harsh scrutiny from the countries they race in, the medias portrayal of F1 as uncaring for its drivers, and the Drivers saying they don't want to be guinee pigs for TV ratings.
Personally, I like the fact that there can be classes where anything goes, like unlimited offshore boats, but those boats are few and far between because of costs, F1 has gotten that way too. The promoters and Governing body don't want to lose they share of best racing in the world status, and belive me, Nascar will get some drivers that would normally head to the european circuits, but see the stardom and prestige of the big picture in Nascar. Sure Schoemaker may be one of the highest paid anythings in the world, but TV sells autos, and F1 faces the dilemma of Nascar becoming a worldwide affair...look at Japan, Germany, and England. Oval tracks built specifically for Nascar type racing. Just imagine a Mercedes 500 up against a Monte Carlo, and soon, A lexus!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
speaking of the nascar and the possiblitly of it becoming bigger then F1 i was watch fox sports tonight and saw a thing called SASCAR south Arican Stock car auto racing. chevys and ford that looked like winston cup cars but they were racing on a road course. Now back to F1 i like watching it but would like to watch it even more if the competition was close. it becomes very boring when shumacher wins by 50 + seconds and laps everyone but second place. F1 is the penicle (sp?) of on road racing. i think it takes more talent to race a street course then it does to drive in circles IMO but id rather watch nsrcar cause the close competition. I personally dont think nascar will ever be as popular as f1 is cause the cars in nascar are american cars and over in europe they dont even have the cars we have here i believe. and if say a mercedes or lexus will never race againt a chevy, ford, dodge, or pontiac in anything sactioned by nascar because they require the car thats gonna be raced be made in america.

Gregg

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Yeah, NASCAR did announce that Toyota will compete in 2004 with the Tundra in the Craftsman Truck Series. Apparently they are assembled (or a certain percentage of each one is assmbled) in the USA so that qualifies them for competition. Word on the street is, now Nissan wants to do the same thing possibly '05 or so.

But back to the original subject, I think F1 wants to try and get the American big 3 auto makers to compete in F1. But I don't ever see that happening regardless of the team budgets. There isn't as big of a world market for American cars as there is for European cars.

Bill Schmitt

evan_clanin

Reaction
i saw a toyta busch car like 2 years ago, and i know toyota is into funny cars now and have one a few events

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
It was probably in something like the Busch North series? I have never heard of one in the Busch Grand National series.

Bill Schmitt

evan_clanin

Reaction
no it was bush grands, it was on a toyota calender that was sent to our shop, they had ir running in a practice session at bristol i think is were it was, bu they were using the solara model

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

martininsocal

Reaction
I believe there are a few track and regioned series that are sanctioned by Nascar that run the Toyotas in a 4 cylinder busch style car. I have seen pics and series dates in Circle Track before. I believe Toyota is a sponsor of a series in Florida along these lines. And I think Toyotas are allowed in teh Goody's Dash series. A couple years ago, there was a NASCAR publication intro'ing the new years season and in it they did color portrayals of european and japanese Nascar roundy rounders as well as Dodge, etc... From 4cyl classes to full on Cup Cars. Just look at ISC...it is INTERNATIONAL Speedway Corp...International, not American or U.S....

If your gonna go, go BIG

btshannon

Reaction
Probably the Goody's Dash series.

My own taste for the hops is very powerful, and I had no intention of spending a beerless weekend...