F1 Exhaust Sound

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Does anybody know for sure, what makes F1 engines and exhaust sound the way it does? Is it the RPM? Or the HP? Or the length and configuration of the exhaust system?

Part of me wants to think it's the RPM. But with respect to HP, there are lots of forms of racing that have higher HP engines that don't sound as mean as an F1 car. And yet Scott Douglas' CORR Pro-4 truck sounds somewhat similar and I know he's not pushing 22,000+ RPM.

So which is it? Anyone know?

Bill Schmitt
#817 CORR Stock

Bill Schmitt

Brian Mapes

Reaction
You mean how it has a really high sort of whine. I think it is because they are reving at such a high rpm's.

You gots to pay da cost to be da boss. - Snoop

Bryan_D

Reaction
Doesnt it also depend on the size of the cylinders as well as the amount of vaulves per cylinder? If I remember correctly it does. But who knows.

Jeep this Oval Boys

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think that it has to do with the valves per cylinder and the type of exhaust system. That is why the Duralast Truck, with its 32 valve, 8-1 exhaust sounds similar.

See ya in the dirt!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Most of the engines are v-10, 4 valves per, naturally aspirated, close to 3000cc's or 3.0 liters. So if you do the math, that's about 300cc's per cylinder. Smaller cylinders combined w/ the increase in valves, hp, and higher rpm range, gives it the very distinct sound.

I rode an imported street bike years ago...Honda, in-line 4 @ 250cc's total! Each piston was about the size of a quarter. It redlined at about 18,500rpms. Screamed like a banshee but wasn't a 2-stroke. Pretty cool.

fathead1

Reaction
I thought the duralast truck sounded that way because of the header routing, I'm not sure what it is called. The header is designed so that each cylinders exhaust pulse leaves in a certain order, one right behind the other, if I'm not mistaken

evan_clanin

Reaction
i thought some one told me that the duralats truck sounded that way because it was set up 4 to 2 to 1 on each side, and then i think eventually it dumps together

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

Jimmy8

Reaction
The easy way to go about it is to 180 the headers. All the geiser stuff all pretty much has it done (herder, dirks and porter, raimonde). The enduro truck is an 8 into 1 (about a 5" exhaust), and also has 180 headers I believe. Maybe Dave G can confirm it. Greg Holman of Kingman is the mastermind behind all of the trick header setups, and can pretty much make a truck sound however you want it to.

Trophy Truck #15
www.JimmyBeaver.com

hoeker

Reaction
douglas told me that it is the headers on his CORR truck. windsors have an issue with #3 and #7 cylinders not firing properly for max hp. his truck crosses over the tubes from these cylinders to the other side of the engine. then the primary tubes merge, then both sides merge into a single 5" exhaust.

i really like the sound, some hate it

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Give me a 1431-blower and some ZOOMIES on an old 10-liter Arias and WOWEEEEEEEE!!!!! That's loud.

RacerX

Reaction
Here is a picture of the exhaust on the Dirks Porter TT that the geiser bros built. All the headers come over the top of the trans and come into one big collecter. You can see the collecter and the muffler in this pic and can bearly make out the headers coming over the motor. That is what is refered to 8 into 1 or 180 degree exhaust.

Attachments

evan_clanin

Reaction
ooopppss i was thinkin of the wrong thing

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

martininsocal

Reaction
That sound comes from 180 degree headers and high RPM's...Nothing more(unless you are also refering to pop off valves, turbo spooling, etc...)

If your gonna go, go BIG

michael_loomis

Reaction
DAVE G should have the correct answer , where is he !! i beleive the 8 into 1 on enduro is slightly different as it causes the exhaust gases to " swirl " when their collected effectively sucking the exhaust from the cylinders when the valves open .

OGCamber

Reaction
Turbocharger + short stroke = high RPM range powerband (like a 2-stroke or sport bike motor). Factor in the fact that the exhaust is routed through a turbo before it is dumped out through an 18-degree cone (the most efficient exhaust configuration for a turbo) and you have an exhaust note that could shatter glass (or your ear drums).

Courtney Halowell
Editor, StreetTrucks Magazine
www.streettrucksmag.com

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
F1 cars don't run turbo's. They are naturally aspirated and use 100 octane fuel.

#817 CORR Stock

Bill Schmitt

FABRICATOR

Reaction
FWIW, an 8 into 1 exhaust and 180 degree headers are two different things. 8 into 1 speaks for itself. A 180 degree header is one which couples each exhaust with another cylinder that is 180 degrees apart in the firing order. An example is number 1 cylinder on a small block Chevy being coupled with number 6, 2 with 3, 4 with 7, and 5 with 8. Each pair is joined in a small collector. Because the flow is separated by the greatest amount possible (180 degrees), it allows a significant reduction in collector size. These collectors are then fed into either a pair or a single larger collector. This provides the best possible scavenging available. This system also provides the biggest possible mess in its layout. Unless you can have tubes crossing over above engine or around underneath, it is not practical. True 180 degree headers are very rare except on specific types of race cars. A similar setup is what is known as the Tri-Y header. These match cylinders thap are the farthest apart in the firing order, but only on that side of the engine. They provide a broad torque curve and good flow but are not true 180's.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Turbos were banned around 1989. Up till then, displacement limit was 1.5L with a turbo and 3.0 without. Power output was up to around 1500 HP on some engines with a turbo, and a bit over half that without a turbo. Doing the math shows that the turbo was responsible for far more power than the engine itself. This is where a ton of research was going and turbos were taking over the job of making power. It was a sort of a slow evolution into a turbine engine pushing a piston type air motor. Officials did not like what they saw and banned them altogether. All N/A V-10s now.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

OGCamber

Reaction
My bad, for some reason even though I was reading F-1 Car I was thinking Champ Car. I guess my brain was on vacation that day -- LOL.

Courtney Halowell
Editor, StreetTrucks Magazine
www.streettrucksmag.com