F1 - Monaco

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
Don't know how many out there follow F1 but it was good to see Montoya win at Monaco. He seems like a local boy to me coming from CART. Some of the in car camera shots from that race were pretty good. The speed on that tight and walled track is awesome from the in-car. Anybody hear about Montoya and Jeff Gordon doing a car swap for testing or something?

Bret

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Yeah they are calling it "trading paint" or something like that. I think it's going to be on SPEED Channel on like the 10 or 11th of June. Good to see Montoya win there, especially considering he's never finished a race there before. The in-car shots were pretty good too, that's a wild course. I'm glad to see Kimi leading the points still, about time somebody besides Michael Shumacker gets it. We'll see if he can hold on til the end.

michael_loomis

Reaction
i read that its the first win there for Williams BMW also .... congrats JP and Williams

Gabe Lara

Reaction
A very impressive win indeed for Montoya...
I especially like the sub 10 second pits stops the teams were pulling off.

-Gabe

Driftin

Reaction
Carlos Reutemann won there in 1980 and Keke Rosberg won in 83. Both in Williams F1 cars. In 1982 Riccardo Patrese won in a Brabham BMW.

michael_loomis

Reaction
lol .... i was just repeating what i read in the San Diego UT
but they have been known to be wrong before !

were those williams F1 beemer powered ?

Driftin

Reaction
Both were ford cosworth cars... 80 was the year of the big pileup in the first corner..I think Daly was the Cause of it as he drove over 3 other cars in the breaking zone...He now has a driving school..Imagine!! Turbos were just starting to come on strong but Renault was the only mfgr. By 83 half the field were turbos....

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
Hey thanks for the link. I think Gordon is getting the better deal. FW24 is last years car but still around 900 bhp if I'm not mistaken. And just a tad lighter than the roundy round car. That is good cross promotion. We need to get one of those guys in a TT. If I ever get round to building one I'll try for JPM. What are the chances that Williams would let him race the 1000? Yea right

Bret

dunerking

Reaction
Great race!I think what impressed me the most was the fact they were doing laps with the average speed over 100mph!Dang!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think you may be able to attribute the win to the new rules implemented by F1 to try and make the sport more competative. There are more changes coming so you may start to see a lot more of new faces winning other than the usual M.S.

Driftin

Reaction
Bernie and Max are going to eventualy cause a split similar to cart and irl. The engine mfgrs are going to say thats it, before long and you will see a new F1 series created by mfgrs. The rules they are trying to impliment reguarding engines are not going to fly for very long. Besides, how the heck did Bernie get to be the last word in F1. He kind of took it away from the fia even tho they still sanction the racing.

martininsocal

Reaction
Split? Engine rules? Why- things like that would never work! Why should there be rules to keep competition close? What do we want? The fans to stay awake and see racing? It will never work...just look at what things like that did for Nascar..

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
I think that CART/ Pook should pick up all of the tracks that Bernie can't put deals together with and make a more international series. There is a motorsports fan base there already. So they should be able to get people into the seats. At least better than IRL attendance.

Driftin

Reaction
I think CART was linked to Spa after Bernie screwed them. Actually it had to do with cigarette supporters in F1. The proposed regs would make it required that engines last for something like 6 races and all the cars use a spec wing and suspension peices. Not what F1 is all about. It is the pinicle of motor racing. Its not a spec taxi cab series like Nascar. World wide it draws a much larger audience than Nascar. Dont get me wrong I like Nascar but there is not alot they do that promotes advances in motor cars for the street. Things like on board telemetry and active suspension, tire tech and ground effects owe their origins to F1. .

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
You have to understand why they are doing this though. There just aren't enough teams to compete against the Red Army. Since they have been winning everything, viewing has dropped and so have some of the teams. They are trying to save the seriesby making it cheaper and thus more competitive. I like having no restrictions however I also like watching F1 so I'm torn on whats best.

martininsocal

Reaction
Follow the lead...in any form of motorsports...when an unlimited class truely becomes unlimited, it dies(whithers on the vine, succombs to its greatest enemy...cost!). The open FIA rally cars, Scores Trophy trucks, F1, etc... The problem is not that the technology isn't bitchen, the cars are truely fast and awesome, and teh drivers are on )and over) the edge to produce a win, it is the fact that Racing atthat level is not about the sport anymore, it is about the dollars produced in TV and Add campaigns and whether they are a wise investment for the dollar return in sales. Fans will be awed by any type of unlimited racing endeavor, but, ultimately, they return to something they can associate with. Nascar does this with its "taxi cabs" which, by the way, have nothing in common with production vehicles except that they have sillouette bodies. I think the current move with econo-box street racers is another example. The fan base and future racers can see the car THEY drive and make the connection. It stimulates growth in the fan base simply by being attainable at some level whether it is grass roots hobby racing or full blown professional team racing. When was the last time you saw an old F1 car racing in a hobby class at SCCA?

Driftin

Reaction
Ya know the fan base is what it is all about and that is why F1 draws more viewers than any form of motor sports. Ferrari has been a fixture since F1 started in 1950. Alfa, Mercedes, Lotus, Mclaren and Ferrari along with a few others have dominated at one time or the other. If you want very restricted formula cars watch IRL or CART. Or F3000 for that mater. Attendance figures and tv viewings should tell you what people want and F1 is doing great in that respect. All motor sports are strugling in that respect. I would hate to think that Williams, with BMW's money will not get its turn sooner or later as will Mclaren Mercedes again. Red has the car and most importantly the best driver in F1 till 2006. Then you will see a change if Williams and Mclaren do not catch Ferrari by then. Ferrari has 53 years experience in F1 and before they hired Schumacher they had struggled for many years (even with Prost). Formula 1 has been around as the top form for many years and it should remain so. And by the way Martin, F1 has not ben unlimited at any time in its history.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
TV ratings for F1 are down since Ferrari started winning everything. What figures do you have?

Driftin

Reaction
Actually figures in the US have shown twice the adv. viewing for Brazil this year. World wide its no contest. F1 by far and away. Sure viewing is down but that may be a sign of the times as a Ferrari win, worldwide, is quite popular. You may notice at every venue they race at there are more dego flag flyers than any other. There was some talk about this on Windtunnel a couple of weeks ago. Where do YOU get your figures? If you watch the races you will see there is not the advantage to Ferrari that there was last year or the year before for that matter. There is 3 points between Shu and second place. Races have been won by Mclaren, Ferrari, Williams and Jordan. Again I will say that whatever Schumacher drives will win as long as he has his group around him. The same people who designed cars at benneton are with him at Ferrari. Last weekend the fastest car on the track for the last part of the race was the Renault of Alonso by quite a bit. The new rules in F1 have gone along way toward leveling the field. Heres a good link for F1. http://www.f1racing.net/