F100 Motor advice

S00TLYFE

Reaction
Looking for advice from some of the guys who have built F100s in the past. Picking up a 79 this weekend to start building. Truck is equipped with a solid running stock 351M. I dont know a ton about these motors other than they make decent power once you throw a few grand at them. I currently have a fresh longblock 351W out of a bronco with a matching c6. Then there is the third option, 351M's have the big block ford bolt pattern, so I can also drop a 460 in the truck.

Just looking for people who have done it or are familiar with all 3 to weigh in with their experience and advice on what they would go with. I'm looking to make a compromise motor wise on power and reliability, just want something streetable and reliable that makes decent power. I'm thinking I can accomplish this and still make 400HP easily out of any power plant.

So who would do what and why?

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The M's are sturdy motors but heavy Like big block heavy. You can put a 400 crank in one buy swapping the pistons. Intake manifolds are a pain for them. Cleveland headers fit but are very short due to the deck height.

460, about the same weight, more power, easier to source parts.

351W, you've got it, run it.

S00TLYFE

Reaction
Thanks Barge, that’s kind of what I’m leaning towards as well. I’ll deal with the low power motor in it for now while I get the truck at least mildly built and possibly caged, then start stacking parts for the Windsor. Thinking an edelbrock performer with AFRs or E Street heads and the right cam should get me in the 400 (at the crank) level and still keep in reliable and streetable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bert is my name

Reaction
Throw a striker kit at the Windsor. That coupled with a decent top end will easily and reliably hit your power goals.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I recently built a 422 inch f.e. motor for my 67 f1. Edelbrock aluminum heads 10-1 compression. Elgin street / strip can. 300 degrees advertised duration about 230 actual. Engine weighs about what an iron headed Windsor weighs. Makes enough torque to smoke 33 inch tires at a 30 mph roll. 87 octane. Bottom end is a combination of factory parts and attention to detail. Greg @ total performance handled all of my machine work. I'm into this engine about 6500 bucks.