F150/Bronco TTB

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I have never been able to get a straight answer on this. Can I swap a Dana 44 TTB from a Bronco or F150 into my Explorer? I'm planning an engine swap, and I'd like some stronger drivetrain components, I was even thinking about a Dana 44HD TTB or a Dana 50 TTB. Can the fullsize TTB's be swapped in and how much work is it? I'd like to swap in a fullsize TTB, then cut-and-turn for 4" of lift and run 35's under fiberglass.

David - No one of consequence.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
I know Jerry Penhall from Penhall Fabrication did it, Im sure it was alot of work but I would call him, I think on his he just switched beams only not the transfer case. 949-650-3035

If you must burn our flag...
please wrap yourself in it first

rdc

Reaction
I don't want the transfercase - just the TTB axle assembly.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
The diff. is much larger on the f-150/Bronco. It will hit the crossmember when you bottom out. If you are going to build beams wider just use the Dana 35 Beams. I have seen Jerry Penhall's Ranger he did put fullsize beams on it, call him and ask him what had to be done to do this. 949-650-3035

rdc

Reaction
That's the thing though - I don't want just the extra width, I also want the stronger diffy. I'm going to run this behind a built 4.9L I6, so strength is an issue, and I'm a little uneasy about how well the d35 will handle it. I had heard that Currie used to offer a narrowed D44 TTB for use under a Ranger, I don't see why I couldn't do something simliar without narrowing it.

DMSRACE

Reaction
I have a 4x4 ranger with the Dana 35. I have been pre-running races for 4 years in that thing. NO problems what so ever, and I have stuffed the sh!@ out of it a few times. I do no not think you need the bigger one, to much $ for what you are really getting.

Kevin

Racer

jeff

Reaction
I have to ask why you want to build up the I6? Just wanna be different? I'm trying to think of a benefit to replacing whatever you've got with an I6... but I can't. I'm not dogging your intentions, I'm just curious what is driving you to swap an I6 instead of using a built V6 or V8.

Aloha

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Depends if you also use low range to crawl around thru big rocks.
The D44 is stronger and I had one in my Ranger. Kurt at Race Design
did it. It cleared the frame and crossmember. We took a full size D44
and narrowed it a few inches so it was only 4" over width. 33x12.5
tires fit great inside Autofab glass. Call Kurt for construction details.
Here be a picture.

Attachments

• 6-11558-ranger_in_baja.jpg
    6-11558-ranger_in_baja.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 649

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Here's another pic of a built D44 but in a full size.
This one has 18" front travel and is a bulletproof
suspension. The drive axles can still break at
the u-joints but I'm having billet parts made to fix that.

Attachments

• 6-11559-baja06b.jpg
    6-11559-baja06b.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,771

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
One last pic.

Attachments

• 6-11560-baja01.jpg
    6-11560-baja01.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 514

heavy8

Reaction
John,
Not sure if chris had his font end built at Race Design but, I would give them a call. They have alot of experience, experience, experience with beam font ends, and there prices are resonable. They also build great bullet proof crossover steering. They are located in El cajon but well worth the drive.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Curt LeDuc on the 8 truck, Kurt Schottenmelm (Race Design) on the Ranger.
Spirit build up a bad arse TTB 4WD also.

Attachments

• 6-11563-p0000017.jpg
    6-11563-p0000017.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 505

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Ditto on Race Design. Kurt really knows is stuff on these. They work great in the dirt,
I don't know why more prerunners don't use a TTB 4wd setup. It's fun to drive fast and
it's nice to be able to go anywhere and stop anywhere and not be stuck.

jarreptolson

Reaction
Just my opinion but i would call up camburg and get some of their extended beams(1600) and then get currie to set up some custom axles, rather than getting them cut and extended. A lot easier than going threw the trouble of setting up a dana44 to clear your truck. I dont know how much your I6 is pushing but the dana 35 is a strong unit if you upgrade to some aftermarket hubs and whatnot. Dont try and reinvent the wheel here the dana 35 is a proven piece of machinery so i would stick with it, it doesnt sound like you would be spinning much more HP's than a beefed up 4.0L. So KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), just my 2cents.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Who is Spirit? Are you new? Steve Spirkoff. Been around forever, done lots of
factory deals, RoughRiders, etc. Remember the Spirit tractor trailer that served as
one of the BFG pits for years? Mostly he builds and digs old Chevy hot rods now.
But he still does plenty of desert truck stuff. He still does the LASD Ranger.
He has a great race prep record. He does a lot of TTB 4wd conversions on vans.
He built the latest fleet of CART safety trucks. And his kid Jeremy knows a thing or two
about designing/building/racing trucks too. Jeremy is tied for first place in the BITD
stock full in a truck of his own creation. The pictures of the trucks that have been
thru Steve's hands reads like a who's who of offroad racing.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Just did not know if it was the same place.. I read the article on Jeremy on Off-Road.com. He is really fast in that truck..

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Jason is going to put a V8 in his Explorer. He is going to keep the Dana 35 beams, they will work fine. They are also way lighter. As for the Axles we are not having Currie build them, their axles are nice but not even close to what we are doing. The axle we are having built are $1200 and are a complete new design. We have a larger slip joint, Jason's Explorer get over 20" of travel. I think he limits it to 18-20. I will have more pics of it on the Camburg site soon.

Here is a pic I posted a few weeks ago.

Dana 35 I-beam 4" wider.

rdc

Reaction
Why the I6? Mostly to be different, and the nice flat torque curve for slow going on the rocks. I don't just rockcrawl, and after carefully considering my needs, a built TTB is what I need.

Jerry - Those beams are hellacious. I don't doubt the strength of the D35 in high-range 4x4, but what about when I'm takin' it slow on the rocks? I intend to do that sometimes too. Do you think the D35 can handle a built 300 (4.9L) even in low range? I'm thinking of using the Dana 20 t-case, since I don't need the extreme low of an Atlas II.