Fab costs?????

singlehanded

Reaction
I am starting to get some people who have asked me to build bumpers and cages for them, but I dont really have an idea what to charge. I am going to build an front bumper for a 94 chevy fullsize, he is going to buy all the material. I will be just bending nocthing and welding. I have little experience, but built a pretty nice bumper for my own ranger. Should I figure by hour or by the job. If by hour how much an hour? or how much for a bumper cage ect. Any thought would be great.THANKS......

local

motoxscott

Reaction
You need to factor in material costs, labor and consumables. If you do your work fairly slow or very fast you might over or under charge your labor. Look at what other fab shops charge and compare their work to yours. It depends on what materials you're using and how you're building it. Is it DOM, MIG welded, is it bolt on where you have to make custom mounts or it is just welded to the frame?

You need to look at all the options and come up with something that hopefully works for you and your customers.

or roll some dice and throw out a number.............

Just remember, working on your own truck or friends is one thing, but working on a complete strangers who's paying is another. One word LIABILITY, just dont jump in over your head when you're not ready to.

Tim

Reaction
If I were you I would start out a notch below what I see most bumpers going for. It will give people an incentive to have a new fabricator build their bumper instead of a tested and well known one. I have noticed some smaller less quality bumpers going for as little as 250 and some nicer more usuable bumpers going for around 400 to 650$. Since your NOT paying for materials I would find out how much they generally cost and factor it out. The first few you might over or under shoot your price so you can decide if it is worth your time etc. and change price accordingly. good luck, Tim

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
$60/hour is a decent hourly rate but that is for a shop with employees, rent, electricity, machinery, insurance, etc... I would say charge $20/hour and get some satisfied customers and move up from there.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

punkassslacker

Reaction
I don't work at a "fab shop" but over at Eckhart Trailer Hitch's we get some people who want custom work done on their trailer. For the most part our rule of thumb is $1- $3 per minute that we work on the project, that should cover materials, consumables, and your labor. Depending on what you’re doing and how much of a pain it is, you just kind of go with you gut as far as raising or lowering your price. Like what they said above too, see what the going rate is and then just go under that.

If you want something bad enough, you'll do what ever it takes to get it.

cleartoy

Reaction
Being 2 months in the making as a fabricator, ive had the same thoughts about what to charge. I would personally do it by the job. Whether or not the customer will supply all the metal, tabs, hard ware ect.....

I would ask someone to also draw a pic of what they want. Bumpers are unlimited in design\shape\size.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Marshall

Reaction
Remember if your doing this at your home that welding can really up your utility bill. When I lived at home and was fabing for friends I had to though down 100 a month to cover the power. If your new at the fab game dont try to make a killing on your buddies charge enough to cover your consumables and maybe 15 bucks a hour. Your still learning and its not going to be shop quality stuff ( no offence). Stick to bumpers and shock hoops, you can loose your ass on building a cage and not to mention they could loose there life if its half ass. The reason shops charge what they do is because they have years of experience and realize it takes time to do it right and time=money.
Just my 2-cents, MW

singlehanded

Reaction
I know I am not trying to make a killing off stuff for people I know. It will give me more experience and if I at least cover my costs plus a little cash I will be happy. I definitely would say my bumper is not shop quality, but its the first one Ive made entirely by myself and it turned out pretty dam good. Ive seen some bumpers with bugger weld that looked a lot worse than mine. I also wont be trying to build a back cage or cab cage until I build mine and I will be getting help from a friend who knows his stuff and will teach me all about what to and not to do. So I am thinking maybe $ 150 for the chevy bumper if he is supplying all the tubing and skidplate? I think if I charge by hour right now it will end up being the crappiest $2000 bumper around.

local