Fab shops in Nor Cal

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Does anybody know if their is any fab shops that are in northern california, like around the bay area or close by? my buddy lives in santa cruz and needs one to build a set of bumpers for him.

JCA

Reaction
I don't know of any but with the experience these guys get in So. Cal have, I would say it is worth the trip to have these guys do the work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(and money in the long run)

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

scott

Reaction
Try to get a hold of Rick Ellison (Class 10) I believe he's from Selma, Ca. Thats close to Fresno, maybe he could steer you in the right direction..

Jack

Reaction
I've seen some work on the net from a company called fat city, not sure were they are but nice stuff for the rock buggies, look fully capable of doing the work, but may not have up to date state of the art race designs.

sirhk100

Reaction
Try talking to the guys on this webpage forum. www.pirate4x4.com

Some of those guys are cruising the craziest rock crawlers in the state and most of them are up North. they could probably recomend some shops to build anything you need. Heck, a lot of those guys build the stuff themselves and if all you need is some bumpers they may do it for him cheap.

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

billymanfroy

Reaction
Matt,

I live in San Jose and we are looking into shop space in the Morgan Hill area. We did all the fab work on my truck and some others (see the attachment), but we don't have a good place to do any real work right now. There is a really good fab shop called Magnum Force in Campbell, but they usually have a long waiting list. They mostly do drag race/show cars, but they built a really nice cage in a Ranger for a friend of mine not too long ago. Ask for Ron, and tell them I sent you. Who knows? Maybe we'll find a place soon and will be able to help you out.

http://www.magnumforce.com/
(408) 559-6633

Also, I know a very good private guy who builds a lot of buggies and trucks out of his garage in San Jose. He's done way more off-road stuff than probably anyone around here. Email me (or have your buddy email me) and I will hook you up. Good luck.

Billy

Attachments

ntsqd

Reaction
Fat City's here in Ventura. That's exactly 493 miles south of Chico by the shortest route (I had 4.5 years to find it), not sure about the bay area. Been in their shop a couple times. Their work is nice, I don't know about their design skills. I asked about how they designed rear suspension geometry and the reply I got was a pointer to the chalk layout on the floor and "It's not rocket science."

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

rdc

Reaction
Hey thanks guys, im the guy matttric posted this for. Billy could you do the bumpers for me? I would also need a tire carrier and bed hoops. I probaly wouldnt get it now maybe in january. Also how much woudl that cambell shop charge? That isnt to far away, I got to San Jose State University, hey billy is thier any places good to offroad around here? For prerunnin, or am I goan have to drive to pismo everytime I wana. Thanks guy big help.

1997 Ford Ranger
Camburg Extreme Suspension[week b4 xmas! yay]

billymanfroy

Reaction
I'd love to help, but like I said, we don't have a good work area right now. We have the benders, welders, chop saw, etc. spread out over 3 different garages. We are within a day or two of maybe leasing a 3000 sq ft shop, and then it's on. Bumpers, suspension, tire mount, whatever. If we don't get it, we're screwed, because everyone I know is fed up with fabbing stuff in their garage.

As far as the price for Magnum Force, it's probably not cheap, but I think the hardest part is getting on their list anytime soon. Call Ron and ask him. They are right off 17 at Camden on White Oaks. You drive by it every day twice going to school and back.

There are lots of places to wheel around here, but it's hard to find a place wide open enough to really get flappin'. We race at Prairie City, which is about 2.5 hrs, and you can also go to any of the OHV areas like Carnegie, Hollister, Frank Raines, etc. but they are mostly hills and tight trails. The last 2 weekends I went to Clear Creek, and that's a huge place, but you still have tight roads and two-way cycle traffic to worry about. A buddy of mine says that Gorman would probably be one of the better places to really go all-out testing. It's about 3-4 hours away down Hwy 5, and he says there's sand, silt, desert, whatever you want. AND your motorcycle/quad buddies can go too. I'm sure there are tons of people on this board who have been there. Maybe some people have some other ideas for areas to prerun up here????

Billy

rdc

Reaction
Alright thanks man you have been a big help. I would rather have you do it then the Campbell shop. I hope you guys find some space, I wont need the bumpers/tire mount till like January or Febuary anyways. So keep me up to date, thanks for the long response with some places to wheel.

1997 Ford Ranger
Camburg Extreme Suspension[week b4 xmas! yay]