• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fabrication Industry

sirhk100

I've grown up offroading whether it's dirt bikes, dune buggies, jeeps, quads, or friends wannabe prerunners. I've always wanted to get a job in the off-road industry. Now I find myself sitting here 24 Y/O with a college degree in Industrial Technology working as a facilities Engineer for a company that produces some high tech crap that I couldn't even tell you what it does. I spend my entire day researching ideas for how to do my suspension and searching for deals. I have some homegrown fab experience and fix most of my automotive problems my self. How did most of you get into the industry? It seems like you have to be able to live off minimum wage or volunteer your time for years until you can get in a position where you're making a decent living and can support yourself and your offroad addiction. So, what's the secret to breaking into the industry? I have to be able to survive but I'm not afraid of blood, sweat, and dirt!!!

Khris

Waldo

Safehouse
Kris, I had a friend that worked for McMullen Argus Publishing (Off-Road Magazine). They publish hundreds of magazines but their main interest is automotive. I grew up working for my parents who owned a motorcycle accessory store in HB. I lucked out because like you, I grew up racing and riding motorcycles and playing around in the dez and dunes. It just so happened that after college a spot was open at the magazine and I jumped at the opportunity. Needless to say I was hooked. The guy who got me the job used to work for my dad back in the day. However, I no longer work in that industry. I am a special education teacher (which kind of reminds me of all the crazy off-roaders in here LOL!) My suggestion is to get to know as many people as you can in this industry. The industry is all about people and performance. It sounds like you have a good mind for tech and business. Throw some resumes (and names) around (just not mine...it won't get you anywhere..Ha! Ha!)

BRAAAAAAAAP!

~Waldo~

BradM

A lot of long hours and low pay for a while. I do strictly for fun on the side and not just offroad stuff. There are times when I have spent more hours at the shop at night than I spend at my desk during the day. You have to love it and do it because you want to do it, not just to make a living. Eventually, if you're good enough, you can support yourself and hopefully your offroad habit.

Build 'em light, wind 'em tight

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I have to agree with Brad. I volunteer for a team which means zero pay and I also have an engineering internship and attend school full time. If you are not going to put in the sweat, then you are not going to get much out. I will graduate in spring with a mechanical engineering degree and I will continue to volunteer. I think volunteering is good because you get to meet people and then you have your foot in the door at a lot of places.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

sirhk100

That's exactly what I was expecting was to need to do A LOT of grunt work. I run with people that are into it for the fun of it, you know recreation, not racing. I want to get into racing!! My biggest problem right now is making the time. I'm hoping after about Feb. my weekends will free up and I can attend races and events, meet people and maybe start getting my hands dirty. I'M DEFINATELY NOT AFRAID OF THE WORK OR DEDICATION!!! I just need to get my time organized and some priorities taken care of so that I can make it a priority. I'm definately not in it to be rich!! I just think it would be cool to do as a job. How cool would it be to build off-road stuff and still be able to pay your bills and live a comfortable lifestyle or at least not paycheck to paycheck!!
Khris

Jimmy8

My advice is to start attending races and getting to know some people, and volunteer. The other thing is to put some of your ideas to work. Do some work to other peoples prerunners for cost of materials and such. Dont charge much, just get your name out there. If your ideas are really good, some people will start noticing them on the trucks you have done, and you may get more and more people coming to you. Then you may be able to get on with a fab shop or start your own.

poolman

Brad I agree with you if t-shirts and hats were dollar bills I would be very "wealthy" The way to get to the top is not always what you know,but who you know.Get out there and get to know everybody you can.Good Luck

poolman

Jimmy8

They sure look pretty awesome though.