• Forum membership has its advantages....

facebook vs. RDC

Klaus

Administrator
The other day I was in a conversation and heard this: “race-dezert.com used to be the biggest website in offroad but now its social media”

In the moment I was surprised by that remark. It was early in the morning pre-coffee and breakfast so my answer was to just shrug it off as juvenile. More a projection of the commenter than reality.

Apparently i didn’t fully shrug it off since i write about it now. Instead of living on in my head lets journal it right here and get some colorful feedback.

I have long thought it trough by now and will share my alternative reply on what it will be next time later.

I value your help. Todays thought exercise for fun is How would you reply?

Last edited:

AZ7000'

I have never done Facebook but my wife and others let me know what’s going on there. I can get fishgistics on YouTube but off-road isn’t enough for me to sign up for the faceboook.

I am pretty sure a few others here don’t have facebook but my guess is a tiny percentage.

TRichards

Good thought Klaus. I don't know how to reply because I don't know on your end how it all works. I just think that Social media is easier to post to thru messenger and it gets the word out faster. Social media with its worldwide instant info is used by fans for coverage as well as the playmakers of our sport to get their info out there. Most of the time is good but sometimes its bad. As far as race coverage, people in the middle of nowhere can post thru messenger far faster and reach more people. Don't get me wrong I love the RDC and what this site provides but I follow on FB and IG too.

TheWarWagon

RDC and FB are two separate entities, by a huge margin. They share some similarities for sure, but FB is essentially a live feed. RDC is where you go before, or after a race. User interaction is less segregated on social media platforms, versus online forums. A lot of posters will stick to the threads that relate to the class they're racing. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of opinion. What you won't find on FB, that you do on RDC- is candid conversations from some racers. They know if they say something incendiary on FB, it may be taken out of context, their sponsors get pissed, etc. Whereas here on RDC, have a better idea of who's being a smart ass, and who is always overly serious.

desertspeed

I have been thinking about this a lot recently while trying to find some pictures from Silverstate- I am not a fan of social media in general and up until about a year ago refused to even have a FB page. However, I finally gave in and created a profile but I only use it to follow a couple of family members and our race team, plus Fishgistics. I have been on RDC for what seems like forever, and what I loved about it is that it is/was a single place I could go to get all the desert racing info I needed. The problem with FB/IG etc. is that the info is all spread out through hundreds/thousands of different locations, and unless you are following everyone or spend tons of time looking through the various pages it is very hard to see everything.

I get that it is easier/quicker to post a picture or info straight to social media in the moment, but I think that the change from a single, centralized location (RDC) to many separate locations (individual FB/IG pages) causes the content to lose some of its value/impact.

Just my personal opinion, obviously social media is not going away. But I wish it would...... :):)

J Prich

It's a difference in depth of discussion in my opinion. Social media is certainly "faster" so race day information seems to flow faster that way...seems fewer people are coming to RDC for updates during races these days, probably because they are able to access info more quickly via FB and IG. But for discussions, internet forums still provide for more depth than you get on social media. Social media discussions are typically shallow one liners. On topics that require some explanation and thoughtful dialogue, you still find that stuff here more than social media for the most part.

osborne

Facebook sux, Never had it. Dont get it. Now if it was all about desert racing or something like that, maybe I could get with it. Call it Dezert-Race or something like that.

MasTacos

There's a lot to be said for the various Facebook groups out there.

Tons of media available that you never see here esp from Mexican locals since that's how they share. There's not a lot of back-and-forth like you see on the forums but I think it's arguable how valuable that is on RDC given some of the topics.

There are also a lot more people up on FB and, since you can set up specific groups for specific interests and share content and discussion with your names in the clear, you have a much more ready-made community. I think there's no question that FB has surpassed RDC for content and is better for building a community but it's still a bit weak on creating a centralized place for discussion.

loufish

I have a FB page, but haven't posted or updated for months...Why?....because it sucks overall....I DON"T want to be any so-called Social Media....I get all sorts of notifications from others and almost all are some dumb ass hippy dippy **** like "I just love rainbows...don't you?".....F that....

I think it's like comparing fast food to a good sit down restaurant. Easily accessible but not entirely good, versus better quality and more thought out presentation...

9rocky

On Facebook, each individual page owner can control the content and the discussion. You do not have to deal with some of the personalities like here on RDC if you do not want to. They still have a dislike button, it is called the delete button.

cynicwanderer

I have been using FB for a while mostly because my children/family are on it. most of my children have since moved onto other social media sites, and some of them still check up on their dad on the old folks FB. I can use FB and most forum sites on either the phone or on my deskop/laptop computers (which I use for work and stuff). I refuse to use services that are ONLY available via phone apps, unless I absolutely have to. So I dislike twitter/instagram/whatsapp, etc... FB seems to be a good single place, for getting timely updates from organizations like BITD/SCORE/VORRA/SNORE/local district news, and various teams I follow. it's much easier to find out on FB whether a particular riding area I frequent is closed/open, following a fire or whatever, than actually trying to track down the website for the organization (BLM, USFS, etc...) and checking there. Bookmarks seem to only be effective for a short time, anymore, because many organization restructure they websites often, when the push new updates.

I like the forums, like this, because there are still many people that don't really use FB and forums are where they hang out and the information is more focused. also, forums are easier to search for information on specific things since many of them are indexed by google. forums are a holdover from the AOL/Compuserve days and it's kind of interesting to me that they still survive these days. I used to use Usenet/News back in the day, when many people used forums on AOL.

Last edited:

Klaus

Administrator
So far every single post delivers and its early in the day still. Many of the arguments for or against SM there is an answer with reasoning behind it.

dan200

#BSF200
I stumble upon race info on FB because a majority of my fb friends are people I know from racing but when I am looking for race info specifically, I come to RDC.

FB is great for networking and as a parts guy that has been helpful business wise. Part of my job is to coordinate with our social media director so that the companies presence at an event is posted and that certain products are highlighted. It is branding and marketing and its how things work now a days.

On the rare occasion I am not actually at the race I go to FB for Fishgistics. His hourly updates during the race are pretty cool. He is actually killing it with his coverage. I am regularly impressed with his ability to do what he does.

swiftracing5

I have grown away from facebook but more towards instagram. I think a big reason is attention span. Instagram and some facebook videos are quick and stimuating, even if the video was dumb, I only wasted 30 seconds of my life. RDC is more refined, the content is there but you have to seek it out and READ it. If I read a thread about UTVs vs _____ then I need 30 mins to potentially waste my life on.

I have been getting involved with business postings and when you run the analytics on a 30 second video, you would be shocked at who actually watches the whole thing. It was less than 20%. People in general don't have time or don't want to spend time seeking out info, they lose interest.

Dave Cole 4454

I have never had a FB account but we certainly use it as a business tool.

Objectively, I would assume your shear traffic numbers have declined because of shifts in user population. I do see a rebound happening as people desire a more stable 'community' feel again.

Secondarily, and I apologize in advance Klaus, the person who thought RDC was the largest 'offroad' forum hadnt heard of Pirate ;) sorry bubba

Ironically, I have not been there in years.

51rcr

social media gets to be jumbled and depends on what they think you want to see when sometimes gets to be a mess. Iike said before its quick and easy to post share ect. Sometimes i have to search around since i want to see what there not showing me. thats when its nice like fishgistics and all have the highlights ect.
Now forums wont go away. Iam curious in how usage and numbers are. I think there all coming back up.
This is why, you want to know something or info about something. Odds are it will still take you to a forum for what ever info your looking for. If not you usally finally wind up at one for the info your looking for or to the link of what your looking for.
Sure lots of popular people stay off forums now since they make money off of social media platforms and can block the hecklers and all. Now for the ones that still participate in forums people will see there more real people and connect and in offroad its still a small tight world really. But then agian as you can see since this is and older forum with classic screen names and all sometimes it takes awhile to learn whos who. i also like to type in lower case and not so normal structure to keep things classic. I dont miss the cascading old thread styles though. haha
Now if i want to know something desert or talk desert and me and most anyone else thats normal people we have to post here. It is kind of a bummer some times cause the sub forums get over looked and ya almost want to break protocol like they guy looking for a impact mount that posted in 3 spots. I think that only got action on the main desert page. Hope everyone comes back more and more again. Especially drivers. Nice to have there interactions.

51rcr

I have never had a FB account but we certainly use it as a business tool.

Objectively, I would assume your shear traffic numbers have declined because of shifts in user population. I do see a rebound happening as people desire a more stable 'community' feel again.

Secondarily, and I apologize in advance Klaus, the person who thought RDC was the largest 'offroad' forum hadnt heard of Pirate ;) sorry bubba

Ironically, I have not been there in years.

I forgot my pirate stuff, but still wind up there when searching for info.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
If I See an update video on FB of a race,,,,, I jump on RDC to read the details.... Does my point help any?? LOL

Klaus

Administrator
Coming back to my original point on what to say in that situation:
Next time I will shrug it off just like before. However i’ll add a smile to my face. Maybe even laugh.

Explanation: Zuckerberg doesn’t offroad hence its not an offroad website.

Social media is just the Milwaukee hanging on the tool belt for us and counting reach/influence/friends/likes/statuses etc is like nerding out inside the home depot aisle where they sell drill bits. The job site is on the other end of town.

Of course we here at rdc love shiny tools, we just dont get it confused with our work.