• Forum membership has its advantages....

facebook vs. RDC

gwizz

eh far better of compartmentalizing this type of thing. think of it this way, face book is too public with a third party controlling it. censorship and getting your self flagged or shut down could result from something completely unrelated to this and vice versa.

"oh look at these off road assholes" "flags everything" "posts you up on their social media eco warrior account" "now they flag everything"
now you wake up to a message alerting you that content you posted violates community standards... and boom your done for a short to long set amount of time, but instead of this just being an offroad forum its your personal face book account. never mind something so "colorful" as the purple section.

the fact that face book attempts to leverage users on moral issues is reason alone to conscientiously use it less or ideally not at all.

realistically \ I failed high school / face book, its time people use forums more. that being said what makes or breaks a forum is how "nazi" the people running it are. the looser the better within reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

djdrew8

I live in the Midwest and don't get to come to actual races much. Only been to the 1000 once and I was hooked. So my view is probably a little different than most, having to get majority of my fix online. That being said, for me, being on the outside looking in....from a distance, I depend on and appreciate both forms of media, news/info for different reasons. Several already previously stated here. I definitely watch on social media/FB, to get quick updates. Thoroughly enjoy Fish's coverage. And then there are the individual drivers/teams FB pages, which you can get some more personal responses and detailed preruns and post race reports. The BIGGEST difference for me in social media and RDC, are the discussions, and the back and forth insight on all different kinds of stories/subjects. People actually type out a detailed response on RDC. And because we see many of the same names, for me, you "get to know" those names/avatars, and understand the sincerity(or sarcasm) behind the post. I really enjoy reading through ALL of the discussions, because of the many different views and the directions they go, but still able to follow all of them. It isn't all rainbows and unicorns, but the detail is what hooks me. Also, the forum sections, as well as threads, makes it easy to find what you want to read more of. The website is easy to navigate and covers all the bases. I think on FB it is just the opposite most of the time. Most people are on FB looking at multiple stories/news feed, and scrolling quickly when it's convenient, People post short answers, and mostly filled with little content, and discussions are all over the place, and don't follow rhyme or reason sometimes. People respond to something that may be way up the page. Difference here is, most will quote someone to respond directly, and people's attention/response is more concentrated, without the distraction of all the "static overload" on FB. MUCH easier to follow different conversations. Also, unless I go looking for it, coverage gets lost in FB news-feed of other useless crap. So....if I didn't ramble on, short answer would be, we need BOTH! I've only been on here since 2007, and if I had one wish for RDC, it would be to bring back better race day coverage. The race day discussion used to be great, with stories unfolding, views and analysis from keyboard warriors and armchair quarterbacks. Now, the audience has thinned, because there are multiple outlets people are tuning into. But, I also know that many different heads/egos/money/sponsors etc., wanted to go many different directions, and things never stay the same. I think all the forms of coverage are beneficial to growing the sport. If there was only one choice for me to view....RDC hands down would be my go to source, simply because of the content . Just my $.02.

51rcr

Apparently the attention span for podcasts is getting short. Mike Rowes sponsored ads popping up on social media plugging 10 min pod casts haha.

Klaus

Administrator
Apparently the attention span for podcasts is getting short. Mike Rowes sponsored ads popping up on social media plugging 10 min pod casts haha.
Same with Joe Rogan. The Original format its 1-3hours of high grade content, but there are Short clips on youtube as well. I enjoy both.

green787

Nobody is getting it.... My FRIENDS can READ what I post on RDC's facebook page.... If I carried on this long about something so trivial, they would conclude that I had lost my mind, or was coming out gay.....

sb4pro

I live in the Midwest and don't get to come to actual races much. Only been to the 1000 once and I was hooked. So my view is probably a little different than most, having to get majority of my fix online. That being said, for me, being on the outside looking in....from a distance, I depend on and appreciate both forms of media, news/info for different reasons. Several already previously stated here. I definitely watch on social media/FB, to get quick updates. Thoroughly enjoy Fish's coverage. And then there are the individual drivers/teams FB pages, which you can get some more personal responses and detailed preruns and post race reports. The BIGGEST difference for me in social media and RDC, are the discussions, and the back and forth insight on all different kinds of stories/subjects. People actually type out a detailed response on RDC. And because we see many of the same names, for me, you "get to know" those names/avatars, and understand the sincerity(or sarcasm) behind the post. I really enjoy reading through ALL of the discussions, because of the many different views and the directions they go, but still able to follow all of them. It isn't all rainbows and unicorns, but the detail is what hooks me. Also, the forum sections, as well as threads, makes it easy to find what you want to read more of. The website is easy to navigate and covers all the bases. I think on FB it is just the opposite most of the time. Most people are on FB looking at multiple stories/news feed, and scrolling quickly when it's convenient, People post short answers, and mostly filled with little content, and discussions are all over the place, and don't follow rhyme or reason sometimes. People respond to something that may be way up the page. Difference here is, most will quote someone to respond directly, and people's attention/response is more concentrated, without the distraction of all the "static overload" on FB. MUCH easier to follow different conversations. Also, unless I go looking for it, coverage gets lost in FB news-feed of other useless crap. So....if I didn't ramble on, short answer would be, we need BOTH! I've only been on here since 2007, and if I had one wish for RDC, it would be to bring back better race day coverage. The race day discussion used to be great, with stories unfolding, views and analysis from keyboard warriors and armchair quarterbacks. Now, the audience has thinned, because there are multiple outlets people are tuning into. But, I also know that many different heads/egos/money/sponsors etc., wanted to go many different directions, and things never stay the same. I think all the forms of coverage are beneficial to growing the sport. If there was only one choice for me to view....RDC hands down would be my go to source, simply because of the content . Just my $.02.
Totally agree with you drew about getting familiar with screen names and avatars in fact if anything I find racers on here THEN see if they have an Instagram account . Going to Crandon as much as I do I it’s funny cause if I tell a racer my real name they don’t know me but as soon as I mention my screen names. ( sb4pro here or mj speed on Instagram ) they’re like oh ok now I know you . I’ve met lots of the racers and industry people and some have even become personal friends

I’ve met lots of the racers and industry people and some have even become personal friends
whenever I meet someone I know from RDC I almost always say to them

“I thought you would be taller”

Exception to that-
I was bench racing at my trailer with this skinny kid one time. Talked for quite a while. He never said his name. Then at the end of our conversation I asked him his name and he told me it was Robby. I immediately knew who he was to me “Offroad racer 516” from RDC. (A guy who I have had plenty of arguments with here on this forum).

I then say “oh! I know you. Your that guy on the race-dezert who is always wrong”.
And he says “yea, and you’re Pat Daileys butt buddy”

We’ve been friends ever since

Klaus

Administrator
whenever I meet someone I know from RDC I almost always say to them

“I thought you would be taller”

Exception to that-
I was bench racing at my trailer with this skinny kid one time. Talked for quite a while. He never said his name. Then at the end of our conversation I asked him his name and he told me it was Robby. I immediately knew who he was to me “Offroad racer 516” from RDC. (A guy who I have had plenty of arguments with here on this forum).

I then say “oh! I know you. Your that guy on the race-dezert who is always wrong”.
And he says “yea, and you’re Pat Daileys butt buddy”

We’ve been friends ever since
My first morning RDC read story delivered. Thank you Dan.

I have heard similar stories from some of the purple regulars. In purple the discussions get heated at times. Emotions out of control, kind of discussions. But after rounds of verbal abuse some of them actually make up and that happens track side.

Awesome.

My first morning RDC read story delivered. Thank you Dan.

I have heard similar stories from some of the purple regulars. In purple the discussions get heated at times. Emotions out of control, kind of discussions. But after rounds of verbal abuse some of them actually make up and that happens track side.

Awesome.
Some old crusty dude comes up to my trailer at KOH this year and starts blabbing about “unions are great”and crap about how he is the greatest wiring guy in the world and I’m a bit confused until he says he is ”green 787”. I called him some names and he did the same to me and that’s how we became friends.

IMG_0467.jpg

isdtbower

Got an autonomous vehicle, semi self-driving, something-star, navigation, Google, or any other devise that is attached to a server or the cloud? They are collecting and selling your information. That is their business model. Now that the FB fiasco is out in the open, some of the OEM's are starting to question privacy before they get caught up in the same negativity. (You know that fine print section that most check to get the offered convenience)

green787

Some old crusty dude comes up to my trailer at KOH this year and starts blabbing about “unions are great”and crap about how he is the greatest wiring guy in the world and I’m a bit confused until he says he is ”green 787”. I called him some names and he did the same to me and that’s how we became friends.

View attachment 201858
That's right,...but I think we are both missing something.... :D:)o_O:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

Last edited: