facebook vs. RDC

jon coleman

Reaction
the Only reason rDc works is purple, without it we haters would be a hating allover the place....like fakebook, thax Klaus✌

Attachments

• 16180863830961253325806.jpg
    16180863830961253325806.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 113

Waitin4dv

Reaction
Face book (prerunner projects group) is just way more helpful and quicker when you need help with your projects. I can ask some one about help on my prerunner and I get instant responses. Here not so much. Race dezert has the best classifieds. Just my opinion that’s where I go for help because of the ease of posting pics and response time. I think you should make a social media group page.

crafty

Reaction
I use IG as a tool to one day gain sponsors. Feed back on posts are far more positive then you’ll get on RDC. I can get questions answered faster with less B.S. on IG. I like to read and learn so I spend all my spare time on RDC. Can’t get enough of Pyles stories. The classifieds are the best hands down. Don’t have FB and never will

51rcr

Reaction
forums are like the old guy coffee groups. always there and full of knowledge and good convo. The roots and base of a tree. The others are like teenagers running around trying to get attention ant tell you what they know. There is so much content the algorithms are good but still miss bringing up or sharing to us some things we would really want to know. Forum also has some issues since people dont jump around to all the parts. But if you really want to know info and you search it forums come up. Not IG,FB ect. Which as said before is why they have been sold for good $$ just because of the info in them. The info and search for forums are nice since we all dont want to belong to 80 different forums unless you want to get deeper into something.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Face book (prerunner projects group) is just way more helpful and quicker when you need help with your projects. I can ask some one about help on my prerunner and I get instant responses. Here not so much. Race dezert has the best classifieds. Just my opinion that’s where I go for help because of the ease of posting pics and response time. I think you should make a social media group page.
I agree that FB groups can be great. I am in multiple off-road and mountain bike groups. But there are also positives and negatives to groups there. Huge ones run into the same problem I've brought up before about social in general where things you might want to see are buried deep in the timeline. Sometimes searches work, sometimes not... The smaller groups are easier to navigate and you get to know some people better in those. I've thought about starting groups for both Dezert People and Race-dezert at some point but the more I think about it we have a great community right here that we should be focusing on. We have social accounts with tons of followers/friends and I post on them multiple times per week and that's time consuming as it is. Most posts are highlights of content that we publish here on RDC and people can click over to see more if they want to. I also like to share race promoters posts as much as possible so more people can see important info about upcoming races, etc.

Another big negative for me is that you have to pay to get more views/likes on social posts. Yes they have a right to run their business that way and good content can go viral without paying. But I personally just think it sucks. What if we enabled a similar algorithm where all of our forum users posts are throttled back and we charged you guys for more people to see them. That would suck right? But that might not be such a bad idea in some cases. 🤣

If people don't mind Mr. Zuck owning them and their content thats fine. Just don't be surprised when/if they fail eventually. Remember Myspace?

MTPyle

Reaction
Good idea Curtis

create a auction to pay for users to take a week off. I bet you could make a lot of money from people that want me to shut up. Hehe

it’s like the piano bar where you pay more to make them not play the song that was just requested. Good business model. Haha.

I do like how on FB you know who is commenting. I hate that people can be anonymous on forums.

Mike

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Good idea Curtis

create a auction to pay for users to take a week off. I bet you could make a lot of money from people that want me to shut up. Hehe

it’s like the piano bar where you pay more to make them not play the song that was just requested. Good business model. Haha.

I do like how on FB you know who is commenting. I hate that people can be anonymous on forums.

Mike

Don't believe everything you see on social either. It's not that hard to make a fake profile. Plenty of people hiding there also.

Waitin4dv

Reaction
Don't believe everything you see on social either. It's not that hard to make a fake profile. Plenty of people hiding there also.
I try to use the search forums on here when I have a question building my truck brake lines / fuel line fittings and I can get instant response. I agree you need to chew the meat spit the fat with different guys. Hereif I asked someone for help not sure if I would get it? It is nice though these big name guys like Curtis guise actually responds on here though. It’s nice to get advice from the big league guys when I have questions building my prerunner

JBuggy21

Reaction
race dez has a legitimacy that you won’t get on social media. If you are here, desert racing is more then Robby gordon going fast in a video clip and bj Baldwin jumping girls in Mexico...
Not that those are bad, but your probably more invested in it then the guy who trolls social media. Idk makes sense in my head...

Last edited:

EMS702

Rescue 1
Reaction
race dez has a legitimacy that you won’t get on social media. If you are here, desert racing is more then Robby gordon going fast in a video clip and bj Baldwin jumping girls in Mexico...
Not that those are bad, but your probably mort invested in it then the guy who trolls social media. Idk makes sense in my head...
Whole lot of truth right there. I know of at least one whole race team was born on RDC. Maybe even more than that.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I try to use the search forums on here when I have a question building my truck brake lines / fuel line fittings and I can get instant response. I agree you need to chew the meat spit the fat with different guys. Hereif I asked someone for help not sure if I would get it? It is nice though these big name guys like Curtis guise actually responds on here though. It’s nice to get advice from the big league guys when I have questions building my prerunner

I'm not sure I agree with being a "big name guy" lol, but regardless thank you for the comment.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Big Box Store Social Media has its advantages as well you simply pay a different cost. A cost many don't realize they are paying.

BBS-SM is great to follow a person or brand as those entities update all their positive highlight frequently. You get to see what others are projecting and want you to see. You see the masks.

The cost aside the obvious harm of envy, anxiety, content and all its cousins of emotions is you are giving a corporation your personal data and finite time. On RDC and many other forums you get safety, security and authenticity (from the operators and those we trust with moderater powers). A greater level of freedom of speech as well. You still trade time for pixels on a screen. Choose wisely.

For following content that is about solutions, experiences, instructions generally forums by small independent operators are a better choice. Analogy is food. BBS-SM is MacDonalds that served billions of meals while we see ourself like that Taco stand down in Valley de Trinidad right dead square centered where people actually offroad.

We don't hate BBS-SM as that would imply we have hate in us. Instead we integrate and leverage it in what RDC stands for. BBS-SM helps us as a tool to do so.

RDC intentions is:
Providing a platform to connect offroad enthusiasts.

DailyPedal

Reaction
Like others, I will always be a RDC fan but the fb groups have caught much of my attention. Mainly for two reasons, smaller very specific groups that don't allow for the political BS when off topic and actual name use (in most cases lol)...and much more direct interaction with high profile off road people via fb and ig than here, which is a shame really for them and the community as a whole but most left long ago to escape the drama and never returned...

mrlentle

Reaction
I'm not sure I agree with being a "big name guy" lol, but regardless thank you for the comment.
Speaking generally, the comment is 100% right though - when I've travelled up to see events (the Mint and KOH) and posted looking for advice on whatever, some big names have chimed in. As a nobody from nowhere, it's pretty awesome and not something you really see on mainstream social media. RDC is my go to for info and definately for the classifieds - just need that lottery win!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Like others, I will always be a RDC fan but the fb groups have caught much of my attention. Mainly for two reasons, smaller very specific groups that don't allow for the political BS when off topic and actual name use (in most cases lol)...and much more direct interaction with high profile off road people via fb and ig than here, which is a shame really for them and the community as a whole but most left long ago to escape the drama and never returned...
I think the appeal of facebook groups is ownership. You don't own the content, you own a piece of the moderations. You own the access.

The ability to own your own thread is an add-on feature I implemented a while back within purple as a test project. There a thread is owned by the thread starter. the thread started can limited moderate just like on facebook. He can edit subsequent posts (I think?), can delete posts, can exclude certain posters from participating (I think?). Its not private though. That feature can get coded easily where the thread starter can select who can even see it.

We are testing it among the purple crowd as they are the least complainers from all users. They generally handle their own online battles. Are thick skinned so it seemed appropriate to give them there are own responsibility of censoring themself. It works great.

If there is demand for it perhaps I enable it site wide. You start a thread...now you moderate your own piece of real estate within the framework of the general rules of conduct on RDC.