facebook vs. RDC

green787

Reaction
Yes, like if I start a thread in the Desert Section about racing electric vehicles, and it turns into a "gay", you NEVER race fest, I can delete those idiotic posts.....

jon coleman

Reaction
hey Green , '^thats -ok'
rDc works because you can state facts like 'Trump won big ' in purple& you dont get ' canceled, only draw back is the amount of whining some post's bring, especially from those who Rarely post...
post on 🍺🍔rDc!!

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I think the biggest thing is, time. RDC has been around for 20+ years now. RDC is not the latest fad/tic toc challenge/idiotic time waster. Klaus and Curtis and the gang have established their place and allow us to partake in their playground.
Those who are sincere, legitimate, and worthy read this site, whether they post all the time or not, it has become what Dusty Times was prior to the WWW taking over reading content for the masses. Thank you Klaus, thank you Curtis, thanks to all of you guys that pull the handles and push the buttons on this great machine. Even if you do kick some of us off sometimes!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I think the biggest thing is, time. RDC has been around for 20+ years now. RDC is not the latest fad/tic toc challenge/idiotic time waster. Klaus and Curtis and the gang have established their place and allow us to partake in their playground.
Those who are sincere, legitimate, and worthy read this site, whether they post all the time or not, it has become what Dusty Times was prior to the WWW taking over reading content for the masses. Thank you Klaus, thank you Curtis, thanks to all of you guys that pull the handles and push the buttons on this great machine. Even if you do kick some of us off sometimes!
The longer i am at it the less I kick people out. In hindsight I acted juvenile and insecure way too much around here.

jon coleman

Reaction
hey ,we all need babysitting once in awhile, yeah, thanx for the playground to vent,& read others thoughts, otherwise we would be those doods down by Crystal pier talking to ourselves😝just remembered this action sequence, ' tourist in the shore break'( it was actually quite brutal💀)

Attachments

• 20210401_120010-1.jpg
    20210401_120010-1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210401_120011-1-2.jpg
    20210401_120011-1-2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210401_120011-1-2-1.jpg
    20210401_120011-1-2-1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 61

Bro_Gill

Reaction
hey ,we all need babysitting once in awhile, yeah, thanx for the playground to vent,& read others thoughts, otherwise we would be those doods down by Crystal pier talking to ourselves😝just remembered this action sequence, ' tourist in the shore break'( it was actually quite brutal💀)
You call it shore break, I call it shore gore.

DailyPedal

Reaction
I think the appeal of facebook groups is ownership. You don't own the content, you own a piece of the moderations. You own the access.

The ability to own your own thread is an add-on feature I implemented a while back within purple as a test project. There a thread is owned by the thread starter. the thread started can limited moderate just like on facebook. He can edit subsequent posts (I think?), can delete posts, can exclude certain posters from participating (I think?). Its not private though. That feature can get coded easily where the thread starter can select who can even see it.

We are testing it among the purple crowd as they are the least complainers from all users. They generally handle their own online battles. Are thick skinned so it seemed appropriate to give them there are own responsibility of censoring themself. It works great.

If there is demand for it perhaps I enable it site wide. You start a thread...now you moderate your own piece of real estate within the framework of the general rules of conduct on RDC.
Would be an interesting approach. On one bike collector forum I belong to, I started a thread titled "fenderless friday." One moderator would delete any post left on any day other than friday. I asked the mod why and was told because I had set the "rule" for friday posts only. There are no rules posted governing this and I argued the content was more important than the specific day...I was told this was in response to complaints in other similar day specific posts and I was overruled and the day specific threads were "locked" and only unlocked on the applicable days...dumb...given the opportunity, I would have allowed the content but without a doubt, there would be some people bitching about "tuesday" posts left on wednesday or some such nonsense...can't win em all Klaus...

51rcr

Reaction
I try to use the search forums on here when I have a question building my truck brake lines / fuel line fittings and I can get instant response. I agree you need to chew the meat spit the fat with different guys. Hereif I asked someone for help not sure if I would get it? It is nice though these big name guys like Curtis guise actually responds on here though. It’s nice to get advice from the big league guys when I have questions building my prerunner
Thats the problem with separate areas. Most wont click over to building and shop areas as often. Some have there setting to show anynew post ect. I click on them sometimes but not lots going on in them. Some of the forums i have never went to. Back in the day when forums blew up it went from one with everything in it to the subs. Back then it was good because of the amount of participation and traffic. Now with less traffic most almost need to throw in some of the subs back into the main pages. I think it would bring more participation. Or The new posts in subs be inserted in when its created. i think that would help lots to bring people into a spot they dont click into and to help others out. The new member posts is nice to read sometimes and see there connection and what brings them. Plus responses makes them feel more of a part of all this.

MTPyle

Reaction
I agree the sub (shop) forums are never seen and super slow. I have posted a few things there and it’s crickets.

Mike

51rcr

Reaction
I agree the sub (shop) forums are never seen and super slow. I have posted a few things there and it’s crickets.

Mike
Same and i see it lots. thats also why i like 6100 thread you made. can put anything in it. (helped me get close on my sway bar) Lots of the ?s are simple to most, or specific but if there was a drop in the desert forum some of the wisdom would go oh and respond since they dont go there.

Jammminjay

Reaction
It's almost 2 years since this thread was started. Has anyones opinions about Facebook and other social platforms changed since then? Questionable censorship has been the big "news" for the last year because of many reasons (election, covid, etc.). And I know many have have written off social media because of it, or have been using it allot less.

And I must have missed @Radiobirdman32 post above. Thank you very much but it's not all me covering races. I've actually been going to less races recently and managing content we have coming in from multiple great photographers/journalists. The last videos I did were from KOH and that was a couple months ago now... We have @havahockey covering SCORE, BITD and some Ultra4 and short course races, and some feature vehicles. @pappawheely has written some of the recent SCORE race coverage stories for us. @5n5i5c5k5 has covered recent SNORE and CODE races. Mauricio Ruelas shoots some CODE races. @Jammminjay has been covering some races like MORE and VORRA and has done a ton of feature vehicles for us the last year with more in the works. @ace_photo has shot allot of race coverage and a ton of feature vehicles over the years as well. Alejandro Soltero (Fotosol) and Gabriel Garcia cover the RECORD races for us. @MiguelB posts all of the PR's and posts Dakar content for two weeks straight the last couple years. WESTx1000 (Justin and Kyra) cover allot of rally raid style content for us. @Kartman has done race coverage and features for us in the past and I'm sure I'm missing someone but those are all contributors for the last couple years or so. Some have been with us since almost the beginning... There was a time when we would only have coverage of major races mostly (like SCORE, BITD) but recently we have been in the position where we are able to cover much more.
It has been incredible covering these races for Race Dezert and sharing incredible vehicle builds with you all!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
This is probably asking for bad answers, but why do more teams not post on here?
That is the 100million dollar question I ask myself.

Thank you. I love critical feedback. I love failing even...its the only way forward. For me its not to run a perfect website... it is about facing daily challenges that seem impossible in the morning and then at night I love the feeling of have given it hell all day. "Why" questions are the best.

Usability / Easy Access - For a while they said its just easier to use ig/fb... so thats when I spend an enormous effort to make sure this site technically is eye to eye with big-box-store-social media when accessed from mobile devices. Very time costly. Still crickets from the very same people...so it must be something else. Big-Box have a monopoly of integration directly into the operation system of your phone. For example you click on a photo in your photo library and inside your OS it prompts you to upload to fb or whoever...not RDC... so it takes extra neurons to fire for a person to make it come here. Most people do whats easy.

Instant gratification - Big Box SM reward its user with instant fast food like gratification. You get your validation faster and more in your face than you get it here. It works...just like fast food chains work.

Burned Bridges - Perhaps we have pissed people off over time and envious people have spread rumors. There is some truth to that and I am not sure how to repair a tarnished reputation other than by simply ignoring it. Proving those rumors wrong via action and let those that dwell on negativity drown in their own madness.

Scale and magnitude - Scale Big-Box wins by many metrics. Instead we concentrate on magnitude. Whatever we do we make sure its done completely. With scale you have more reach, more users, more eyeballs. With magnitude you have higher quality and a deeper influence for those that visit this site.

Speed - Its a constant challenge to run this site fast and within budget. Speed of newsworthy information comes with the scale of the Big-Box community or with us allocating more resources to have it happen here. We are pulling some bells and whistles out now out of the site. Less is better for speed. KISS

Viewability - I myself used to be loud at every race. Then I stopped going to races in person that much and that pattern continues. I now have completely different life patterns and schedules that I need to change to make more of a presence. Therefor RDC appears less relevant. The mask/lockdown global policy is not helping, however that is just a cop-out as it applies to all people the same.

green787

Reaction
This is probably asking for bad answers, but why do more teams not post on here?
It's my opinion after watching RDC for 17 some odd years that the great drivers aren't the best debaters.....(most can't spell or type their way out of a paper bag)... I've seen them get frustrated and "go away" many times..... They like to control what their media is all about.... Same reason I got kicked off the CSN&Y website for pointing out that Stephen Stills had gotten false teeth....(we were worried he had a mini stroke and couldn't talk like he used to).... The rich and famous just can't take this level of criticism or scrutiny..... They get all "bent out of shape"....

Big Whitey

Reaction
It's my opinion after watching RDC for 17 some odd years that the great drivers aren't the best debaters.....(most can't spell or type their way out of a paper bag)... I've seen them get frustrated and "go away" many times..... They like to control what their media is all about.... Same reason I got kicked off the CSN&Y website for pointing out that Stephen Stills had gotten false teeth....(we were worried he had a mini stroke and couldn't talk like he used to).... The rich and famous just can't take this level of criticism or scrutiny..... They get all "bent out of shape"....
Hmmm. I think you just helped me figure out why I’m not a great driver

jon coleman

Reaction
that sucks^, i love the posts& videos from guys like team McMillin& Justin Lofton, great storys too in the story time segment from guys like Hoovey , Stewart, ect, its cool to get a response somtimes from a post or question from your hero's, hopefully there are More' inside baseball' type vids& storys like Lofton's San Felipe practice with his new awd,im glad this site isnt " fast food", sometimes its good to sit and read the whole menu

E.Hagle

Reaction
I come here because it’s plain and simple in your face off-road racing. Facebook and Instagram is just a bunch of fluff and you know it’s manipulative. Raw is making its way back around. Just like it’s cool to not have tattoos now. Don’t sweat it too much