Video Falling off Black Bear Pass

blue dog

Reaction
That won't Buff out

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
That pass has changed ALOT in 40 years it looks like a 6 lane freeway now compaired to the last time i was on it.
But you can't change gravity I'll bet that jeep was rolling downhill 40mph. The video doesent come close to showing how steep that really is. The switchbacks are/were a a real sphincter tightener especially when most if them were completely covered in 2' if loose shale rock & if you spent to much time navigating them you would eventually be introduced to the edge by God himself.

jon coleman

Reaction
i couldnt read the begining, did they survive?, wow, camera car was 10 seconds early, to meeting His maker

y2kbaja

Reaction
Remind me not to ever do that pass. Or drive in a Jeep.
Yes, camera car almost met his maker.
No, red Jeep had no passengers at time of video. Driver got out to spot another veh and veh started moving. Passenger was for a ride and was ejected. Serious condition.

y2kbaja

Reaction
1603377641743.png

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Now the insurance company has to pay big bucks to clean all the toxic chemicals off the side of a cliff ie: gasoline, transfluid, battery acid, gear oil, antifreeze, beer, bong water, Copenhagen.....You Get the idea.

johndjmix

Reaction
Since we are based in Colorado we often ride trails just like this. Just about everywhere we ride/drive off road has deadly cliffs.

It gets real interesting once there's snow on the trails. I remember one night Christian (my co-driver in the race truck) and my group were heading up to boulder to do some wheeling and campfire. They all left before me since i was busy at the office.

When i got up to the area i didn't see them, so i called on the radio and realized there was confusion and they were on the other side of the area - the moutian next to the one i was on. It was either drive on the road 40 miles, or go through the canyon and back up the other mtn on the shelf road, 4 miles. I took the shelf. At the start it was fine....no snow or ice, but as i climbed it got bad. There is one section that leans off towards the edge. I get to it and its solid ice. That kind of ice that you will stop, then start sliding with wheels locked.

Of course i forgot my tire chains at home (a sin in Colorado) I cant back up since then you have zero control. I went 4 low in the raptor, fully locked up...i literally creaped through it barely moving. Every time the tires lost traction i pictured sliding...wheels locked, off that edge.

When i got to my friends I asked if they had a change of clothes and underwear. Scarcest thing ive ever done.

--John