• Forum membership has its advantages....

'Fastest Woman On Four Wheels' Jessi Combs Killed In Jet-Car Crash

bomber

Very sorry to learn of her passing. She lived life to the fullest while she was here.

cjohnson

Dang. I originally didn't care for her but she grew on me after learning she wasn't just a pretty face for TV. Very talented young woman. RIP.

jon coleman

big fan of extreme 4x4 since day one, loved there pre runner ranger build, i would yell and throw things at the tv when they would get boxes, boxes of free sponsor goodies to throw at there projects, ' i want that job,wtf are they doing??, thats no way to do a ranger!!!,AAAArrggg!!, those two grew on me and they turned out great, rip JC

Baja Bryan

I first met Jessie back in 2015 and the Baja 1000 When her and Paige Sohren got swallowed up in a big hole. I helped them get the truck out of the hole they fixed it and I think got second in class . The first picture she was down in the hole under the truck strapping the arm so we could try to pull the truck out. I kept telling her its to dangerous to get out of there. No doubt she was fearless. Jessie was going for the 512 mph record set in the 70s to be the fastest woman in history. She did 483mph in a shakedown run last year but car had problems and never got a chance to run it again. She died doing what she loved and will be in the history books forever. "Race in Peace" Jessie

Attachments

Last edited:

sb4pro

Sad news for sure . She was one bad ass chic that’s for sure , Heaven better be ready for those pearly gates to be knocked down . Rest In Peace Jessi

51rcr

One of my friends from our small area that made it and lived the dream. Always doing something cool and moving forward. Always had lots of neat stuff going on. Will miss all the new ya see or hear what Jessi is doing or did. She is a good example of what you can become and do.

ACME

Godspeed and our prayers go out to her friends and family who are suffering. She was a great personality and ambassador for women and the motorsports community and will be greatly missed...

mig29

I was in touch with her about my Motorsports 2.0 project -- Offroad, Indycar, IMSA (sportscar), Rally, F1. Sent her a similar email to Pete Sohren (back late 2018)

Technology Partnership model

[ vs the same-old same-old Marketing Sponsorship model ]

towards Funding.

She lives in Long Beach, I invited her to Long Beach Grand Prix (Indycar & IMSA) shortly after San Felipe 250

[ where I went in tribute to Pete ]

-- I had spare Turn 1 reserved seats & Paddock pass. She couldn't make it:

Thank you, but I am in Moab for Easter Jeep Safari.

vroo00O00oomm... Jessi
My background is Aerospace/Defense & Academia (R1 Univs -= Tier 1 Research), have many DEEP powerful contacts thru my peers:

DARPA Program Managers, Vice President (Georgia-Tech & GTRI/Georgia-Tech Research Institute), Director of Research & Vice President Applications Development (Intel), Google Vice President Google Car, Tesla Motors co-founder, General Motorsports "czar" (NASCAR, Indycar, IMSA), Qualcomm (1 of founding Technology partners for Formula-E..all electric open-wheel)

Pulled a TON of interesting engineering contacts -- McLaren Technologies, Xtrac

[ who I already have contact with, their Vice President Andrew Heard (based in Indianapolis, Xtrac is exclusive gearbox supplier for Indycar) has interest in Offroad..met him at 2006 BIT Parker 400) ]

Cosworth (owned by gazillionaire Kevin Kalhoven, former co-owner Champcar (successor to CART), owner GPALB (Grand Prix Assn of Long Beach), who I've done projects with)

Attachments

MTPyle

I was surprised looking at the pics of the accident vehicle that it had zero roll cage. (Edit- There seems to be a small movable roll bar that goes behind the seat) It was basically just the jet canopy and seat which would help very little in a roll over. I guess they figured if it rolls over your screwed anyway?

Jet canopy's are not very strong at all. Might as well been in a TJ Jeep with no roll cage and only the windshield and seat back to protect you. I realize the seat gave some protection but not much and pretty far back. Was there neck restraints( in pics the helmet it s open faced helmet with no neck restraints)? the helmet I saw was a jet fighter helmet, didn't look like a helmet designed for roll over. Hopefully someone looks at these safety items and see if they can be improved.

Chasing speed records is a very dangerous game. Seems like these people don't stop chasing the new record until they die trying. its got the be the highest percentage of death of any motorsport. Look at all the records set and I bet you are looking at a list of dead people.

Mike

Last edited:

MTPyle

Here is a good pic of the cockpit and helmet. This vehicle and gear would not pass safety inspection of any off-road race. But maybe it would not matter? I would still want to do the best I could to make the cockpit and safety gear the best it can be.

Jessi-Combs-Dead.jpg

cjohnson

It's hard to say if more roll bars would have helped but top fuel drivers walk away from serious crashes at 300 MPH because they have a very strong enclosed cockpit. This car looks like it has close to zero protection for the driver. The reality is it's not a car. It's an airplane that's not supposed to take off.

MTPyle

Good point about Top fuel guys.

Is there a difference between 300mph crash and 500mph? I would think on a dry lake bed the only difference is how long the crash takes. I doubt the impact forces of a crash go up with speed. At 200mph you are gong to pretty much skip along the ground anyway. At 500mph you just skip longer. Wonder if an auto parachute deployed when it rolls would help stablize the roll and slow it down?

Again I hope someone learns from this and make some improvements.

Mike

bullnerd

Hmmm, I thought I posted in this thread but don't see it?

If you watch the Hoonigan interview, she mentions and I think they show a close call in this car already.