• Forum membership has its advantages....

Fee Demo Vote

Paige

AT APPROXIMATELY 4:00 P.M. TODAY (PACIFIC TIME), CONGRESSMAN DUNCAN HUNTER PROPOSED TO CONGRESS AN AMENDMENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR APPROPRIATIONS BILL STATING THAT FEE DEMO MONEY (CAMPING FEES) SHALL NOT BE USED IN THE FUTURE FOR BIOLOGICAL STUDIES TO DETERMINE THE STATUS OF ENDANGERED SPECIES IN THE IMPERIAL SAND DUNES RECREATION AREA (ISDRA). HE WAS FOLLOWED BY CONGRESSMAN RICHARD POMBO WHO PROJECTED A PICTURE OF THE SAND CAR THAT WAS PURCHASED WITH FEE DEMO MONEY TO BE USED FOR THE MONITORING EFFORT. BOTH CONGRESSMEN TESTIFIED THAT IT WAS NEVER THE INTENT OF THE FEE DEMO PROGRAM TO USE FEES PAID BY USERS TO FUND SUCH STUDIES – DEMO FEES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTENDED TO SUPPORT IMPROVEMENTS AND OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE AT THE ISDRA.

THE MINORITY PARTY LEADER IN CONGRESS THEN QUESTIONED CONGRESSMAN HUNTER ON THE ALMOST 1 MILLION DOLLAR STUDY THAT WAS DONE USING CAMPING FEES AT THE ISDRA. HE PROCEEDED TO COMMENT THAT HE PARTICIPATED WITH CONGRESSMAN REGULA IN DRAFTING THE ORIGINAL FEE DEMO BILL – AND AGREED THAT IT WAS NEVER THE INTENT OF THE BILL TO USE FEE DEMO MONEY FOR ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES! HE WAS IN TOTAL SUPPORT OF CONGRESSMAN HUNTER’S PROPOSED AMENDMENT.

NO OTHER CONGRESSMEN TESTIFIED. THE VOTE WAS TAKEN AND CONGRESSMAN HUNTER’S PROPOSED AMENDMENT WAS APPROVED WITH AN OVERWHELMING MAJORITY!!!

THIS BILL STILL HAS TO BE APPROVED BY THE SENATE. WE MUST CONTINUE TO CALL OUR REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS AND CALL OR WRITE TO SENATOR FEINSTEIN, FROM CALIFORNIA, WHO IS ON THE SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE. THIS WILL BE A MAJOR WIN – NOT ONLY FOR THE OHV COMMUNITY IN CALIFORNIA – BUT FOR ALL FORMS OF RECREATION NATIONWIDE. THIS IS A PRECEDENT-SETTING ACTION!

JCA

This has been a great week. I hope this "trend" continues!!

picone

Let's get this straight. The environmentalists buy a sandrail to go out and study how much other sandrails are tearing up sand and weeds and come back with hardly anything to justify their salary? Campground entry fee money was spent on that? Great! That's great they are realizing that the environmentalists pis$ most of the federal and state money they get away.

So do they drop the camping fees down or reallocate the $$? They aren't going to drop the rates so I know what my vote is (if it was a voting matter). Reallocate to improvements. How about more than ONE brick crap house for the entire 200,000 acre area. Maybe a shower? Those are pretty decent things to spend campground entry fee money on. How about hiring a service to service the one stinky shat house that is out there (or at least a bigger holding tank...come on those things are full to the brim everytime I've tried to use them). And I mean more than once a week on a 500,000 person weekend.

<font color="red"> "DEMO FEES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTENDED TO SUPPORT IMPROVEMENTS AND OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE AT THE ISDRA" </font>

what improvements have ever been done? What maintenance?

Great posts paige.

Paige

Remember the green sticker funds are for the State lands - the fees down at Glamis are federal. So the state funds are ruled over by the stakeholders in the OHVMR; who don't let anything go unargued on either side - the fee demos are tougher to get straight cause you are working with bureaucrats. The Funco buggy is owned by the BLM - As far as I can tell - Neil, the ranger that did the buggy deal is a good guy and not an enviro freak. But we have to keep on top of this stuff - you bring up great points and valid uses for the camping fees! I think they are talking about reallocating the fees for their intended purposes. We need to support these congressman for stepping up and also get ahold of our senators prior to this going to the senate - as I get more info - I'll keep posting.

empire231

And that's why I opposed those fees the minute everyone started talking about them! I knew they wouldn't use the money to benefit us! I haven't seen one improvement in glamis or anyother desert in the last couple of years...but we were paying fees...the only thing I did notice was the crazy amount of enforcement placed at glamis, and the shutting down of comp hill after dark! well atleast they (congress) is starting to see what's going on. and wow , they said they spent 1 mil. on that research
, that could pop up atleast 20-50 porta poties w/ the service for someone to acctually clean them and stock them w/ toilet paper! and still have lots of $$$ left over to go about regular business. we don't really ask for much...I mean we go to the desert to get away from regular city life and enforcement. I'll stop

Paige

well you weren't alone - the fee demo out of the Barstow office was put on hold cause basically CORVA said no way without some provisions for enforcement on where the money was going to go. To many questions were on the table.

The basis for the fees is the amount of money coming from BLM budgets for the lawsuits, they are supposed to use the fees to do improvements, provide rangers, etc, since their budgets were tight - that was the song and dance. We really need to give props to Roy Denner from ORBA for seeing this through, flying to washington and keeping up wtih these congressman, not to forget everyone from CORVA, ASA, AMA and SDORC. They've been fighting for all of us.

picone

That's awesome we have people like Roy taking the initiative and standing up for all of us that like to use the desert. Honestly I don't know how to get a hold of any of them to say thanks. If you know them, maybe you can invite them to the RDC board? I'm sure if they come on here they can ask for help and commended for the awesome work they do. It would also be great campaigning for whatever organization they represent.

picone

And thanks to you too, Paige. You do a great job finding all these news releases and keeping us up to date. Reading your posts is 90% of my info on land/dez issues.