Feinstein and the Sierra Club

martininsocal

Reaction
Apparently the truth is out, Senator Feinstein and another Democratic Senator decided they had had enough of the partisan politics over the Forest Survival Bill put together by Bush and wrote what they felt was a valid compromise bill that had support from members on both sides of the aisle. Well guess what? The Sierra club, who have always back Feinstein in all her elections and considered her one of their best resources have issued a statement condemning her! They said what she has done is unconscionable. They said she has sold out to the timber industry. They said she has become the enemy to the environment. And now she is pissed! The board of directors of the Sierra Club took just 15 minutes in a meeting about this issue to write the condemning statement and voted 14-0 with one abstention to flame her publically.
According to Feinsteins spokeperson, she is dismayed at how they have turned on her and feels they are wrong to discount all the work she has done for the environment. She says that the alternative she wrote was a real compromise that allowed some take of small and medium trees in areas where there was a large Urban Interface area that would need some thinning to create protection from fire. Many of the republicans feel the plan doesn't go far enough because it doesn't allow any mechanical thinning in areas not urbanized. They feel the plan will not produce enough revenue to cover the costs associated with mechanical thinning to make it worthwhile for private companies to do the work. The Sierra Club decided that making the attack on Feinstein might make other Democrats who were thinking about voting for the bill think twice or face the wrath of their voting block. Even Senator Tom Daschle attacked Feinstein saying she had converted and been won over by big business in her plan. What is really funny is Daschle exempted the area around Sturgis, his home town, from the requirements on the books to slow or stop logging everywhere else. He did this earlier this year with a rider to a bill that has already been passed. I guess other senators can do as he says, not as he does.
What Feinsteins bill does is remove some of the beauracratic paperwork and EIR studies currently required before any kind of take can occur. It also limits Court Injunctions to no more than 60 days before a decission has to be made. In the past, environmental groups would file continuous injunctions to lock up any timber harvest plan that had been approved. This way the harvest wouldn't occur while no decission was made. If a decission was made, another injunction would be filed to stop it, basically stopping any progress. Even the USFS had issues with the continuing injunctions because they were unable to do even simple taril maintenance on forests because any plan that would mention even the possibility of tree removal would be filed on.
I guess this just shows...the only thing they want is no tree being cut down. To borrow words from one of theri leaders, " when man is removed from 50% of the environment, our job will be done."

If your gonna go, go BIG

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Martin-
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Do you have a copy of the article? I would love to read it. Thanks!

P.S. I never thought I would hear you praise a democrat for their environmental decisions! :) I guess maybe you truly are an environmentalist even though you don't always sound like one! J/K!!!

See ya in the dirt!

martininsocal

Reaction
jr- the article was in teh Press-Enterprise, Riverside Edition. I think Wednesday, but maybe Tuesday. I will look for it.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG