• Forum membership has its advantages....

Ferrari Engine

chevydude7

Has anyone ever put a Ferrari/Maserati engine in a trophy truck or a class 1? I have seen a Porsche engine in some stuff and a lot of people have corvette engines but i've never seen a Ferrari engine.

Forty1Racing

My guess for not being seen more in the TT's would be the small engines (compared to a 408 or 427) and the very complex rotating assemblies and heads?

It'd sound pretty BA going by though..

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Lots of reasons...LOL!!

Lack of available spare parts, $$$, harder to build more power, $$$, harder to have someone with you that knows about those motors, $$$, specific tools needed, $$$, oh yeah, and did I say they are expensive????

But hey, if you wanna build one....;)

FABRICATOR

There was a nice looking Ferrari powered Class 1 many years ago. The design work was not so great, but the craftmanship was quite nice. :)

Co-Dog

I remember hearing something about the engine being sealed and a small fortune was necessary to get the oil changed.

Dezertpilot

What arent Porsche oil changes $300+ at dealerships? Awhile back I seen an off shore racing boat in a magazine that had dual built Lamborghini engines, something like 900+ HP for each engine, and I am almost positive they were N/A motors.

f1sleepy

Lots of reasons...LOL!!

Lack of available spare parts, $$$, harder to build more power, $$$, harder to have someone with you that knows about those motors, $$$, specific tools needed, $$$, oh yeah, and did I say they are expensive????

But hey, if you wanna build one....;)
If you have access to a good ferrari engine then you have access to all of those things. Well, I'm not sure what "specific tools" would be needed. If you can afford to build/race a Class 1 or TT you can afford an entire car not to mention an engine and gearbox.

I think the biggest issue would be keeping the engine alive. The engines are low displacement high revving motors that are meant to power a lightweight race car around a paved track. The funny thing is I have several friends who work for Ferrari in various positions, and we've kicked around the idea of throwing a Ferrari power train in a truck before over a few beers in the garage LOL...

Live Free or Die

What about Turbine engines from Pratt and Whitney?...if it works for tanks

chevydude7

My friend has a Maserati quattroporte and ferrari makes the engines for them and its $550 to get the oil changed at the dealer. f1sleepy you have a good point about the high revs never really thought about that. I'm sure that the engine wouldn't last too long and probably very very high maintenance. But it would be bada$$ if someone actually had a TT with a ferrari engine in it haha.

5racer

246 dino 10,000 grand for major tune up and thats a deal if you ask me the space shuttle is easy er to work on .

spork2367

I have a 5.0 liter Toyota V12 that I was thinking about putting in my T100 as a prerunner. It has a nice flat torque curve and almost 300 ft lbs of torque at 1000 rpm.

michael_loomis

Ferrari engines aren't designed for the torque needed to pull a 6k truck through the dirt. Sure, you could put one in a 3500lb class one, but why pay 5 times as much (or more) to risk turning a motor into a hand grenade?

Tech Tim

I have a 5.0 liter Toyota V12 that I was thinking about putting in my T100 as a prerunner. It has a nice flat torque curve and almost 300 ft lbs of torque at 1000 rpm.
You need to do something with that engine Spork!

Like2PlayInSand

I work on Ferrari's. The 430 engine is very stout. Would be great in a class 1 unlimited or sand buggy. No timing belts or valves to adjust. Already dry sump and well over 400HP that pulls like a freight train. These are built to be driven hard and hold up. The transmissions don't hold up so well. Would have to use a larger diameter flywheel and clutch though. The stock clutches will not hold up for a race. Yep going to be expensive to buy a used one. How much do you spend on a custom built race engine ?

Early '90's BMW V12 has huge HP potential with torque. All aluminum engine. You can buy the whole car for less than $1500 all over the place. These engines make over 550HP in McLaren tune.