Fiberglass is Strong

phorensic2k

Reaction
Yeah, so I went to this giant party on Saturday and as I was leaving I heard this big noise and then heard a scraping noise and then it felt like I ran something over. I looked in my rear view mirror and I see my fiberglass hood laying in the street. I guess somebody at the party thought it would be funny to steal my hood pins. When I came back the next day with 4 shiny TETHERED hood pins I looked at my scraped-to-hell hood and sure enough there was a tire mark right across the underside of it. How the hell did that thing not break into a million pieces when I ran over it? It's not cracked or anything. I thought for sure the thing would at least be cracked. Fiberglass is strong, I guess.

What amazes me more, however, is the fact that the hood blew off from my truck moving forward, yet managed to get pinned in FRONT of my truck, and then got run over. The damn thing defied phsyics TWICE!!!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
You msut have drank way too much to not notice your hood falling off!

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Damn Psychics!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
remember cowl induction hoods ?
There is a reason the scoop points towards the windshield.

phorensic2k

Reaction
Ha, I always wondered why the scoop pointed towards the windshield. Boy don't I feel like an idiot. Airflow on vehicles is weird. Damn physics is right!

martininsocal

Reaction
That area of the windshield creates a kind of negative pressure zone with the air passing above it, venturi effect. It is hard to get the ram affect with scoops facing foward because air is like water and will take the path of least resistance. They will go around the scoop if it is easier than going through it. Fortunately, engines are big air pumps and suck air in.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
years ago Paul and myself did some tests with small paper tape stripes taped to different areas of the hood right around the windshield area... and then drove it at various speeds.

It was amazing to see the tapes blow into unexpected directions.

I think we where trying to build some opening for an airintake.