Fight for ocotillo wells!!!

Let's go off roading

Reaction
Environmentalists have filed a lawsuit seeking a court order that would force the state’s parks department to stop letting off-road vehicle buffs from driving their desert toys “amok” throughout the Ocotillo Wells state Vehicular Recreation Area.

It seeks a court order limiting off-roading to designated trails and argues that the core park management polices are illegal and should be immediately changed.

The lawsuit was filed in Sacramento Superior Court last week on behalf of the Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and the Desert Protect"

MESSAGE FROM S&S Off Road Magazine.

The FIRST thing that off roaders need to do IMMEDIATELY is to contact your representatives and politely but firmly tell them they need to urge the Department of Parks and Recreation to defend themselves in this lawsuit and fight for the right to keep open off roading in Ocotillo Wells. Give them your history about using the park.

Gail Ramer from Assembly Brian Jones' office said there is strength in numbers and when hundreds of letters are pouring in to the offices of State assembly people someone has to listen.

Given the number of people who recreate at Ocotillo Wells it should be easy to get hundreds of letters and even thousands of letters. It has to happen quickly!

If State Parks chooses NOT to defend this lawsuit within the next 30 days and just accept the demands of the environmental groups, then we lose out and have no opportunity to state our case.

That is why YOUR letters are very important!

Find your state assembly person here http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

Be sure to write letters on paper and mail them in an envelope or call. These people get thousands of emails a day and if you email them it will likely not get noticed as quickly as an actual letter.

End your letter with this statement "I look forward to hearing your response about my concerns." That way you hold them accountable to get back to you so you'll know where they stand.

And if you feel like it, send us an email and let us know you did so we can keep a tally ourselves of the number of letters going out!

Let's go off roading

Reaction
Here is a sample letter that you can write and send to your State Senator.

Date

Assembly Member (Your Assembly Member’s first and last name)
Address
City, State and Zip

Dear Assembly Member (Your Assembly Member’s First Name):

I am writing to respectfully request you to strongly urge the California Department of Parks and Recreation to defend their department in the lawsuit pending in Superior Court regarding open off road use at Ocotillo Wells SVRA.

We have been going to Ocotillo Wells since (Fill in your personal history). We consider it a vital part of our family’s history, recreation and enjoyment of life.

(If you are involved in an off road business include something like this paragraph)
It is also a vital part of our livelihood as we make our living in the off road industry and a closure of open riding in that area could greatly impact the economy in the off road industry not just in San Diego County but throughout the entire state as visitors to the park travel from all over the state.

Thank you for prompt attention to this matter. I look forward to hearing from you regarding my concerns.

Sincerely,
Leave several blank lines so you have room to sign your name

Your name typed out
Your Address
Your City, State and Zip

Let's go off roading

Reaction
I look at this as a Cancer spreading in the desert and it can spread to a desert near you and we not stop it from spreading.

Look what has happened to protected land in Ocotillo, CA.

socalsavage

Reaction
We have been following this and yes we need more voices on this problem. I cant believe we live in the offroad capital and not as many people responding to this as i thought would on all webistes. Come on people I cant thinkk of what i would do if this gets through. Please spread the word and sign the petitions, write letters etc.

lf1952

Reaction
I have sent my letter today. If they win this issue they will eventually shut down all of road riding in California.

bighad

Reaction
the danger in this passing is that this is a CA green sticker supported area...a state park..if the greenie neo Nazis get their way..you can call it all gone in a short few years..so I call out to all the peeps in this 'familia" who take the time to call me all the names you have..step up...lets get 30 pages of "big had sucks" directed towards our elected official..they suck!! open your heart and let the hate out..in a positive way..fight for your deserts!!!!

ErikShallbetter

Reaction
I printed the letter out at work and will get it mailed in! I have a question/food for though. I'm from Minnesota, and I always do these. (Johnson Valley, Ocotillo, etc.) Being so far from the issues geographically, I some times worry my voice carries less weight? Am i still fighting the good fight?

dwasser

Reaction
Environmentalists have filed a lawsuit seeking a court order that would force the state’s parks department to stop letting off-road vehicle buffs from driving their desert toys “amok” throughout the Ocotillo Wells state Vehicular Recreation Area.

It seeks a court order limiting off-roading to designated trails and argues that the core park management polices are illegal and should be immediately changed.

The lawsuit was filed in Sacramento Superior Court last week on behalf of the Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and the Desert Protect"

MESSAGE FROM S&S Off Road Magazine.

The FIRST thing that off roaders need to do IMMEDIATELY is to contact your representatives and politely but firmly tell them they need to urge the Department of Parks and Recreation to defend themselves in this lawsuit and fight for the right to keep open off roading in Ocotillo Wells. Give them your history about using the park.

Gail Ramer from Assembly Brian Jones' office said there is strength in numbers and when hundreds of letters are pouring in to the offices of State assembly people someone has to listen.

Given the number of people who recreate at Ocotillo Wells it should be easy to get hundreds of letters and even thousands of letters. It has to happen quickly!

If State Parks chooses NOT to defend this lawsuit within the next 30 days and just accept the demands of the environmental groups, then we lose out and have no opportunity to state our case.

That is why YOUR letters are very important!

Find your state assembly person here http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

Be sure to write letters on paper and mail them in an envelope or call. These people get thousands of emails a day and if you email them it will likely not get noticed as quickly as an actual letter.

End your letter with this statement "I look forward to hearing your response about my concerns." That way you hold them accountable to get back to you so you'll know where they stand.

And if you feel like it, send us an email and let us know you did so we can keep a tally ourselves of the number of letters going out!

There is a meeting at the imperial valley expo this Saturday about this. Don't have any details so maybe someone that does can fill us in. I do know some people from out of town have planned to make the drive.

dhjeepgeek

Reaction
I emailed my rep. Das Williams. I dont think Hana beth Jackson is worth emailing. She is evil. Blinded by her agenda.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
ill pass this info fwd to other forums...

offroadracer516

Reaction
This is an update as of two weeks ago. I wish more of you would get involved. This should for sure be made into a sticky.

I'd like to update you all on the lawsuit. Last Thursday the judge issued a preliminary ruling that the case will continue (not be thrown out). Friday the judge decided to listen to the parties argue their cases. After this, the judge decided to put the case in submission (He's thinking about it). Late Friday the judge decided that the case can go forward. PEER had asked to add new evidence, but the judge said no, you can only use what you submitted in the earlier case. The judge also said that PEER's task to prove would be "formidable".
PEER is trying to prove that Ocotillo Wells has abused their discretion in managing the park. In the first suit, PEER tried to say that the park has not been protecting its resources (Plant and animals, soil erosion, the air and archaeological stuff) but the judge ruled that the park has a lot of discretion over how it manages its resources. This time Peer says that the park is abusing its discretion. This should be hard to prove and I think the judge is allowing the case to go forward to see what evidence they have of this abuse of discretion.

Join Corva,Tierra Del Sol 4x4, The fight for ocotillo wells facebook page or EcoLogic.
These are the groups fighting to keep your public lands open!

Last edited: