• Forum membership has its advantages....

Final thoughts and thanks DAKAR 2017

Once again, the US TV show relies far too heavily on repetition of footage and facts.

I'd rather see that time used for more coverage of racers and locales.

I feel like we're lucky to see ten minutes of fresh video each day.

Last edited:

Baja Fool

Great reads here....I have been watching/following Dakar since early 2000's so my thoughts:

• Certainly love having Americans racing but not a prerequisite to my following. Please come back RG.
  • Domination in the car class is consistent with cycling through of car manufacturers; i.e. VW, Mitsubishi et al.
  • I miss the Speed/Speedvision hour long version of the coverage with Toby Moody announcing. Gave it such an international feeling. Props to Leigh Diffey on his broadcast.
  • Annoyed at the ratcheting up of the higher elevations that clearly favor the diesels/Pugs.
  • Absolutely love the the Truck class. These guys take on this race with these behemoths and all their challenges that come with them in such a fantastic way.
  • I really miss the battles between the likes of Matsuoka and Schlesser et al. They tried to make it work with Peterhansel and Loeb but just didn't work. BTW, Loeb is unreal.
  • The cinematography was spectacular. They brought the landscape into my living room.
  • The bikes and quads were truly competitive within their classes. Many different stage winners/podiums finishes. Good to see Honda make a strong showing as well as Husqvarna & Sherco.
  • And the guy who was struck by lightning!! And he finished that stage!! WOW!
Well that all I got for now. Can't wait for 2018 Dakar. Cheers!!

SteveRacer

I thought overall it was a good Dakar minus some of the weather cancellations. Not saying they shouldn't have cancelled, just disappointing.

The best car and the best driver won, not really surprising. I wish Mini and Toyota could have got their act together to mount a challenge. Loeb and Peterhansel both had a pretty flawless Dakar, either would have been tough to beat. All the other drivers had at least one bad day where big time was lost.
I do believe Loeb is fast but I dont think Peterhansel gets the credit he deserves. When needed, he can pick up the pace and run with anyone. I think the difference is that Loeb knows he will makes some mistakes and needs to run 100% to build a gap for his mistakes. Peterhansel on the other hand runs a conservative race until he needs to push. And when he does push he is hard to beat.

I also know everyone here loves to hate Nasser but that dude isn't nearly as bad as Sainz. That dude is a crash-master.

On the bikes, Honda threw away a great opportunity to finally win it all.

The highlights of the Dakar for me was watching the Coronel Brothers and Lyndon Poskitt on youtube. The Dakar "Heros" videos were great to watch as well.

Chris Tobin

One observation that I haven't heard anyone talk about was bike changing engines... Seems to me in years past every lead bike took a relatively minor time penalty and changed the engine midway or so. Did they change a rule and disallow that this year, or did they just not cover it on the NBCSports coverage???

I had many articles on deadline as well as preparations to ship the new issue of Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine so I was not able to be here as much as in year's past. I actually just watched the final episode this afternoon...

I'd love to see RG back with a 2.8L baby Duramax powered race turbo diesel engine in a smaller and lighter version of the Humbuggy with a Chevy Colorado body!!! I think with RG behind the wheel it would be able to give the pugs a run for the cubic yards of $$$$!!!

Short Bus

I think something like 4 died in the flooding actually.:(
In the back of my head I kind of loosely keep track of fatalities surrounding the Dakar Rally. This is the first race in a number of years that I don't recall hearing about any deaths related to the rally. Unfortunately, as large as it is, someone gets killed in some kind of accident. Either a racer or a spectator are killed in a race accident or someone (racer or support team) gets in a road accident. I hate to hear about it when it happens both on a human level and because it provides ammunition for those that want the race to go away. At least the flooding deaths won't be blamed on the race.

mattj112

One observation that I haven't heard anyone talk about was bike changing engines... Seems to me in years past every lead bike took a relatively minor time penalty and changed the engine midway or so. Did they change a rule and disallow that this year, or did they just not cover it on the NBCSports coverage???

I had many articles on deadline as well as preparations to ship the new issue of Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine so I was not able to be here as much as in year's past. I actually just watched the final episode this afternoon...

I'd love to see RG back with a 2.8L baby Duramax powered race turbo diesel engine in a smaller and lighter version of the Humbuggy with a Chevy Colorado body!!! I think with RG behind the wheel it would be able to give the pugs a run for the cubic yards of $$$$!!!
just check the regs on allow engines changes they are has followed:

ASO elite riders

Standard engine case will mark by scrutineer all loss of this marking will result in disqualification. engines are free but main engine casing must been standard. Repairing the top end engine is free but if change into Main engine case will been considered and engine change. Once removed and replaced by second engine, then refitting of engine first engine into the Machine will be considered as a change of engine. like changing number three engine.
The change of engine will incur a penalty:
 the first change : 15 minutes,
 the second change : 45 minutes
 all following changes : 2 hours for each change.

The change of engine between Riders is allowed during Marathon Stages. The penalties will be applied to both riders involved. The same rules applied to the super production class of bike category.

Marathon class

the engine must be standard of type homologated. they must not change any main engine parts. they only allowed to change serviceable items on bike.
If the rider change a engine the rider will removed definitively from the Marathon Classification, but will not prevent the Rider from featuring in the
Overall Classification for the Super Production Group.

you know has well has I do teams don't really want to change engine in top category if possible has they could face a large time penalty every time they do it. I think bike category engines have got lot more reliable year in year out because of use of standard Main engine components rather than using pure race engine which have to been rebuild a lot more times than standard engine.

JDDurfey

I wish the NBCSN coverage would at least try to pronounce the names of the cities correctly. The first time I heard Lee Diffey say "Asuncion" I had to rewind and listen again to figure out what he just said. He butchers it as well as the lady that does the announcing for the Dakar Youtube videos.

As far as the bikes go, Honda would have had the win if they had not gotten the penalty if my numbers are correct. It was cool to see several manufacturers up front. Maybe next year Honda can do it and Ricky Brabec can run up front more.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
There are two photographers who cover all the events - Marian Chytka (Czech) and Marcin Kin (Polish) - everyone appreciates the images but don't really know how hard they work! Here is a FaceBook post from Marian:

Here we are with the full album from the Dakar Rally 2017. I wish I could would say it was nice and I enjoyed it, unfortunately not that case this time. It was definitely the worst one I have ever done, too many kilometers on a liaison we did for nothing, stupid speed limits in Bolivia 80km/h that cost us too much time every day (apparently we were almost the only ones following the speed as we were overtaken by many organizers cars - have some videos of that as well - as they always say it is impossible), plus many other things that I will write on my blog. It was probably the toughest one, pity it was because of the number of kilometers we spent driving on the roads (not stages), because of the rain and high altitude. It all made me thinking about if it is worth it to come there again (still few months to think about it) ... Anyway, enjoy the photos. We tried to do our best
:) .... Huge thanks to my brother Viktor Chytka for helping me out and to Jakub Frühauf who was covering the bivouac.

MCH photography

JDDurfey

I knew going into this year's Dakar that there would have to be long liaison sections up in the mountains of Bolivia. There just are not many roads, so to get from point A to point B the racers and the support must travel on the same roads and that just doesn't work.

There are many parts of Bolivia that would be awesome to race through, but this is the issue in the mountains everywhere that I can think of holding this kind of race.

The race really needs to get back to Chile and Peru to have a real resemblance of the original Dakar Rally.

Chris Tobin

The race really needs to get back to Chile and Peru to have a real resemblance of the original Dakar Rally.
The race really needs to get back to Europe and North Africa to resemble the original Paris to Dakar Rally!!!

I heard of an knew about the Paris to Dakar before I knew where Dakar was on the continent of Africa!!! I was young and knew that it was the toughest most grueling off road race in the WORLD... That is a far cry from what we see today!!!

Even the segment on the NBCSport coverage highlighting the terrible sandstorm that riders and drivers race through, got lost in and some just hunkered down and waited out shows truly how far away from the original intent of the Paris to Dakar Rally the "Dakar" has gotten. If the organizers didn't shorten or cancel that stage for the massive sandstorm, do you think they would have cancelled or shortened the stages that have been cancelled or shortened in the past few years???

I am not saying that the "Dakar" in its current form is by any means an easy race, but it is a shell of its former self for sure...

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
There are two photographers who cover all the events - Marian Chytka (Czech) and Marcin Kin (Polish) - everyone appreciates the images but don't really know how hard they work! Here is a FaceBook post from Marian:

Here we are with the full album from the Dakar Rally 2017. I wish I could would say it was nice and I enjoyed it, unfortunately not that case this time. It was definitely the worst one I have ever done, too many kilometers on a liaison we did for nothing, stupid speed limits in Bolivia 80km/h that cost us too much time every day (apparently we were almost the only ones following the speed as we were overtaken by many organizers cars - have some videos of that as well - as they always say it is impossible), plus many other things that I will write on my blog. It was probably the toughest one, pity it was because of the number of kilometers we spent driving on the roads (not stages), because of the rain and high altitude. It all made me thinking about if it is worth it to come there again (still few months to think about it) ... Anyway, enjoy the photos. We tried to do our best
:) .... Huge thanks to my brother Viktor Chytka for helping me out and to Jakub Frühauf who was covering the bivouac.

MCH photography
MCH always does an awesome job!

Brutal year on the support crews for sure, cold and dry are one thing but cold and water logged are another and then there is the altitude.

:(

mrlentle

Interesting. Perhaps if competitors started voting with their entries things might change? I'm sure the Africa Eco Race would welcome high profile characters like Mr Stacey to the event. In reality I guess everything has become more about the mighty dollar and how much of it we have. I do have to wonder what Thierry Sabine would think of the current set up compared to his original vision.
As an avid TV/web spectator from the other side of the world, I still enjoyed this years event - I was disappointed when stages were canned but understand the reasoning behind it. I was disappointed too with the lack of chatter on RDC compared to years gone by. Hopefully you North American folk can get someone on 4 wheels back in the race for next time about to get the place buzzing again.

Chris Tobin

That's nuts doing donuts in something that big!!! Good find!!!

TecateRay

The people that didn't watch because Gordon wasn't there aren't Dakar fans as much as they are Gordon fans. Nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't gauge it as a metric of popularity of the Dakar.
Gordon is a distraction, not an addition to Dakar IMHO. I like when Americans are competitive and actual team members in a strong effort, but there is still plenty of excitement regardless. Gordon is a lot like Nasser - exciting, fast, out for himself and likely to break his ride. To finish first, first you much finish.

I was excited for Brabec and I'm sure he'll do well next time. Honda should fire the knucklehead that cost them that hour penalty.

GEO_DXB

He was complaining more about the organization than anything.
when someone so popular in Netherlands (and the Dutch love Dakar) says this is organized worse than a smaller event this is pretty much it. For sure he played this card only to get smth out of the organizers, but he was if anything harsh. As far as route, terrain - they have to race whats given to them. The MANs seem to be well suited to this year's tracks. And the MAN team said they will work on a new truck too.

Dont think they will go to Africa now - not enough coverage and even if they call it real Dakar it wont get you much respect... Just a game every big team plays with the organizers.