Finally Legal

Jerry

Reaction
Finally went and got my Motorcycle license. I don't know how many times I have rolled the dice and ridden on the street illegally. There were two other guys there doing the same thing. One on a Harley and one on a new CBR.

Anyways the guy on the Harley was 60 something and was way nervous and had two start over twice. You only get three chances. Before his last attempt I gave him a pep talk and said to keep the momentum. Well he did it barely.

Now my turn... I wanted to do a burn out soooo bad but I kept control. At the end I asked the lady on a scale of 1 to 10 how did I do. She said I did well except I went a little fast. All I heard was macho, macho and more macho!

Anyways for all you illegal guys out there I passed both written and road test the first time. No more wondering where the police are, I am legit. I even insured My 650.

Oh by the way I am up for a long ride if anyone is going.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
Sounds dumb but consider the Honda School.. No DMV hassles and an easy road test versus my Harley at the DMV.. I rode dirt and street for years but still leaned about riding at the school on thier Honda 200s. All skill levels from falling over on the kick stand to daily riders. Beleive or not it was fun.

SPROCKET

Reaction
in san diego area theres a guy who rents scooters for the riding test. makes it really easy.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I passed the CA written test the first time and failed the riding test the first time (with no practice at all) but then came back after practicing and passed the riding test as well. Then when I moved to Tennessee, all I had to do was pay the fee and get my new licence both MC and car with no testing other than eye test.

I do think that the CA riding test is DUMB!!! In what scenario will a rider be safer by slowing to a crawl and riding in a tight circle two times then riding back out without putting his foot down??? There are no aspects of the test that have a practical value for street riders!!!!

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
I feel bad for the people that barely pass the test. Gotta think there out there with 5000 lb trucks on the freeway ready to take an unsuspecting rider out. Hell riding on the streets is like a mix of road rash and american gladiators. You gotta be a quick reactor

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I have had my CA license for about 14 months now , I took the test on my 2008 KTM 530exc-r. I passed the written the 2nd time lol, the nice person at the counter let me retake it and I was golden. So I had my permit, I rode for about a month or so before I attempted the riding test. I enrolled in a motorcycle safety course and that didnt go to well lol. So I then took the riding test and passed it first time, I would go on the weekends and practice the test so I had an idea of what I needed to do. I did the test in 2nd gear because my first gear was too low and jumpy, sorry for the novel lol.

Harpo

Reaction
I went to one of the riding schools, no matter how much I practiced, or how good of a rider I think I am, I just could not stay in the lines on my Big Bear Chopper!

Attachments

• 4b08_4.jpg
    4b08_4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 121

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I do think that the CA riding test is DUMB!!! In what scenario will a rider be safer by slowing to a crawl and riding in a tight circle two times then riding back out without putting his foot down??? There are no aspects of the test that have a practical value for street riders!!!!

Worse test ever! Not once when I had my R6 did I have to do that in any situation. I passed the written pretty easily, just read the dmv book while I waited and most of the questions came straight from it. I did not pass my driving test, it was really hard on a crotch rocket.

I dont have a bike anymore and dont plan on ever having one again but I really wish I had gone to school for it when I did, I might consider one in the future (if my wife let me have one..jajaja)

baja4racing

Reaction
so , I want to get a motorcycle but dont have the MC license , but to get the license and do the test I need a motorcycle , can't rent one cause of the lincense so what to do ???? can't have one without the other !!!! help !!!

baja stu

Reaction
so , I want to get a motorcycle but dont have the MC license , but to get the license and do the test I need a motorcycle , can't rent one cause of the lincense so what to do ???? can't have one without the other !!!! help !!!

The dealer’s don’t care about a license. They will sell you anything you want without even asking you for your license. In fact you can even get insurance without one as well. Take my word for it. I’ve been rolling the dice now for two years.

Dezertpilot

Reaction

baja stu

Reaction
I had my permit twice now and I end up letting them expire each time. I just need to follow through.

DamnitJuice

Reaction

get your permit first. then take one of the courses that bypasses the dmv test and that will get you your license.

but yes you can get a bike and get it insured without your license. and restrictions for the permit are no riding at night, no passengers, and no freeway riding.

Chris Tobin

Reaction

Get the permit first... No bike needed! Then you should be able to test ride a bike at nearly any dealer that will allow test rides and you can find the bike that feels good to you on the street not just in the show room!

When I purchased my VFR800 Interceptor new back in 2004 they wouldn't let me test ride it because I didn't have the permit yet, but I was able to buy it, insure it and ride it home! Strange huh?!?!?!

As for taking the test on a sport bike, it is tough but not impossible. The best thing to do is go down to the DMV on a weekend when they are closed and ride the course for an hour or two to practice and you'll do fine!

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
As for taking the test on a sport bike, it is tough but not impossible. The best thing to do is go down to the DMV on a weekend when they are closed and ride the course for an hour or two to practice and you'll do fine!

We did that and I still couldn't do it, I was new to the bike scene so I didn't have alot of experience. I couldn't get my R6 around that thing to save my life. I rode with my permit only until I sold it a year later