Fire and Chaos at San Felipe Marina?

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
Just saw this on a South Campos Facebook page:

"Do not, repeat, [do] not go to town today unless it is a dire emergency. My neighbor was told to leave!! Fire at the Marina and shots being fired. He saw bodies being removed from some buildings."

Comments make it seem like it's related to Vaquita/Totoaba issues, saying someone torched a panga, broke car windows, set cars on fire, etc. But no one on the thread seemed to know anything solid.

Any locals or anyone down there pre-running have any solid info? I know a lot of racers stay at the marina hotel. I'm heading down this weekend with kids and don't want to wander into anything crazy.

Last edited:

Baja Native

Reaction
A military vehicle pursuit ended in a shooting that left some dead. The town is in an uprise against the military! The word used was revolution... More to come as I receive info.

partspimp

Reaction
Just saw this on a South Campos Facebook page:

"Do not, repeat, [do] not go to town today unless it is a dire emergency. My neighbor was told to leave!! Fire at the Marina and shots being fired. He saw bodies being removed from some buildings."

Comments make it seem like it's related to Vaquita/Totoaba issues, saying someone torched a panga, broke car windows, set cars on fire, etc. But no one on the thread seemed to know anything solid.

Anyone down there pre-running have any solid info? I know a lot of racers stay at the marina hotel. I'm heading down this weekend with kids and don't want to wander into anything crazy.

partspimp

Reaction
It is playing out live on San Felipe chatter on Facebook. Looks like a fisherman was shot and possibly more.. this protest is definatly about fishing . Look for a presidential (mex)order for this soon.

btshannon

Reaction

jon coleman

Reaction
dont do , and havent done baja since McMillin crew incident, sad.grew up driving down there on uncles ranch east of jacumba,'.so sad.all this crap is a perfect example of " illegal to own fire arms" oh well, lets pray......also heard ORW kearny mesa burnt down, yuck...

PeteRock

Reaction
Its a sad state, where the people become so desperate, and are pushed to such dire actions to survive. My heart goes out to those involved, both military and civilian. This particular incident could have gone a lot worse, as many Mexican military vs civilian conflicts have in the past.

drtrider145

Reaction

BajaFand

Reaction
A good friend lives in SF during the winter months and is pretty much a local there. She says the word around town is to stay north of the arches for the next few days. Stray bullets from gunfire are landing all around town. A friend of hers who lives in the neighborhood across from the arches (by the soccer fields) was hit in the leg by a stray bullet. Everyone in town is worried this will scare the racers and fans from coming to town but they are hopeful the Marines will gain control of the situation in the next few days.

AZ7000'

Reaction
The video is good information. As JC said above supply > demand > money, the issue is big money = bad guys.