Fire Guys Racing's transformation from 7s to 7200/Class 6 w/ Camburg Suspension

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Cool shot of our truck in the newest LC Engineering ad!

Jason

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1469246489.821323.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1469246507.126852.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile... Here is what we have been doing over the last year or so. We continued to have driveline issues with our truck. We would go back and forth between loosing the ring and pinion to loosing 3rd gear in the transmission. Here are a few pictures of our last ring and pinion from the Mint this year...
pinion.JPG
pinion2.JPG
ring.JPG
ring and pinion.JPG

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
As for the transmission...

Fire Guys Racing and Marlin Crawler

Paul and I (Jason) want to begin by saying Marlin Crawler and its people (more like family) are incredible! We have been working with Marlin Crawler and their transmissions for more than 10 years, have won 3 Championships with Marlin Crawler’s product, and have put many miles on our transmission through some of the roughest terrain around in the deserts of Nevada, Arizona, and Baja!

Here is a little history of our truck. We were running a W Series Toyota transmission, with our 22r Toyota 4cyl, and 33” tires. At this point the Toyota rear end would not hold up to the beating we were putting on the truck and had to switch to a Ford 9” rear end. The transmission held strong and we never had an issue with the transmission. We would just send it in after running a full year of racing to have Marlin Crawler look through it! In 2006 we did an engine swap to the 3rz which has an abundance of torque compared to the 22r! When we made this switch we worked with Marlin Crawler on what we could do to be sure the transmission wouldn’t have any issues with more power. The answer was a new bell-housing cast by Marlin Crawler to mate the R150 Toyota transmission offered behind the Toyota V6’s! Not only did they do this, they began to make the billet shift forks and many other modifications to keep it strong! The new engine and transmission combo allowed our truck to break the 100mph barrier and the truck would smash 2-3ft whoops at up to 70mph with no issues! We would pull the transmission after a whole season of racing and have Marlin Crawler take a look without ever having an issue!

Some time in 2011 we decided to re-work our truck again and change over to a 7200/Class 7! In this process we massaged the current Toyota 3rz which had mild cams and 10:1 compression into a 300hp fire breathing 12:1 compression, ported and polished everything, custom ground cams, custom rods, and custom pistons! We also went from 10”s of travel up front, 17”s of travel in the rear, to 15.5”s of travel up front, and 25”s of travel in the rear! This was a huge difference (just ask Marlin, Christine, and Big Mike)! They all three got to go for a ride in the truck at King of the Hammers last year! We also went to 35” tires to try and roll through the bumps a little better. Well, all this worked and our truck is hitting up to 80mph through 4ft+ whoops and is skipping right over the top of it! At this point we have progressed in our racing to a point the stock Toyota gears cannot keep up. We also have a need to change our gear ratio in our rear-end as we have not been able to keep the 6.0:1 gear ratio alive. The Toyota gears actually last longer than the 120-125 miles we are getting out of our 9” gear sets by twice the distance!

Through the growing pains, Marlin Crawler has been working with us and trying to come up with a solution! There is possibly a solution in the future with Marlin Crawler and their products. This solution is not in the works to be done in the near future as Marlin Crawler is a business and has many other things to do than solely work on our truck! Fire Guys Racing completely understands this and has made a very difficult decision to purchase a full race transmission for our truck. Everything Marlin Crawler has built for us has never failed! It’s the stock Toyota parts that are failing at this point. We will continue to work with Marlin Crawler for all our Toyota Pre Runners and the business we bring to them from the Aspen Motorsports Park where both Paul and I work. Marlin Crawler is a top-notch business making a great product and we would love to work with them again if they pursue a go-fast transmission in the future!

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
We researched transmissions and talked to many people including Rory who put me in contact with Jeff Field at Transaxle Engineering! We talked about putting together the same gearbox Rory will be running in the 001 Chassis PPI Toyota of Ivan "Ironman" Stewart. This was starting to sound like a great idea and of course the cool factor! We would have a manual transmission, gear reduction, and be able to come off the 6.0:1 R&P! Jeff also told me about G-Force Transmissions and they would be able to put together something that would hold up to the abuse, we could choose all our gear ratios, and that would let us come down off the 6.0:1 R&P as well. After looking into it this seemed like the correct answer for us! If we were to break anything the parts are a phone call away and would not possibly have to be custom made like our fist choice! We also looked into a few other very high dollar options that would be cool... But, overkill for our truck and way north of our budget! This is what showed up in 3 short weeks after working with Bubba at G-Force! This is their GF5R 5 speed transmission adapted to our 3rz Toyota 4cyl! This transmission is built for 1300hp, it has straight cut gears, it has a hand cuff device that won't allow the main shaft to deflect away from the counter shaft, and 1:1 is in the 5th gear location giving us another under drive gear!
IMG_6488.jpg
IMG_6489.jpg
IMG_6490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
You need to install a torque converter or an automatic.

Well... If this doesn't work. A torque converter will probably be in our future. Running with a 4cyl we have been trying to limit anything that robs power from us. Obviously the power we have means nothing if we keep DNF'ing!

EOR1488

Reaction
Well... If this doesn't work. A torque converter will probably be in our future. Running with a 4cyl we have been trying to limit anything that robs power from us. Obviously the power we have means nothing if we keep DNF'ing!

Jason we have hundreds of race and test miles on our Richmond 5 speed. It's held up way better then everyone said. It's in Ford Ranger 1450 truck 400hp v8 4200lb truck. Running a 5:43 ring and pinion. So much fun with it so far.
IMG_2630.jpg

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
That's awesome! We are excited! We will be starting out with a 5.37:1 R&P we have less power and weigh less as well so we are hoping to be all good with this setup!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Here is a cool sequence from the Mint 400 earlier this year! Obviously before the end of that R&P pictured above!

Jason
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
She’s in there! We will need to make a custom shifter to move the shifter away from our right leg. Other than that a little tin work to cover things back up and already was on the phone with Clutch Masters who sent us a Toyota dual friction clutch disk with a Chevy hub on it and a new hydraulic throw out bearing!

Jason

IMG_6547.jpg
IMG_6556.jpg
IMG_6557.jpg
IMG_6555.jpg
IMG_6553.jpg

JasonHutter

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Currie Enterprises came through this week!!! Looks like Christmas came early for Fire Guys Racing! Yep, that’s a 10” ring and pinion with a Trophy Truck pinion support! Never thought I would see that on one of our receipts! The bearings are crazy big! #overkill

Jason

IMG_6737.jpg

EOR1488

Reaction
Looks great yeah we had some problem with shift but it’s been a non issue so far super similar mod for us. Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert