Fire Suppression Nozel Installation

idealer

Reaction
I have Safecraft 10LB bottle installed in the truck and am in the process of routing the spray nozzles. I was considering spraying down the headers and over the trans, any other suggestions its in a mason truck with the exhaust going down the tunnel along side the trans. We have 2 2.5lb bottles under the dash for occupant protection. It only came with one nozzel...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
First shot should go to passenger compartment to let YOU get out. Period. These things are NOT designed to put out vehicle fires, they are designed to buy you some extra seconds to get out without getting burns. Literally extra seconds. Headers and trans would be a total waste, IMO. If anywhere else other than passnger compartment- in order, next, around fuel tank/flammable liquids tanks, then top of motor where fuel goes in/injection area. Couple issues is, most systems will flow 2 nozzles effectively, after that, back pressure reduction will diminish flow pattern out of nozzle and farthest nozzle from source will be really diminished as far as capability. Placement of yoru handheld extinguishers should be away from where your fire most likely will be so you don't cook your hands trying to get them out.

idealer

Reaction
We already have passengers covered. The tunnel is the only place we don't have immediate access to... & each passenger has a hand bottle, and 2 on the outside of the truck.

CraigMT

Reaction
I've thankfully only had two (minor) race vehicle fires and both were caused by ATF getting blown out of the dipstick and hitting red-hot headers.

If you have a second system for the vehicle it couldn't hurt... I'm putting an extra system/nozzle in mine that also hits the trans tunnel.