Fire suppression system recommendations

Reaction
After the recent vehicle fire I am looking to install a fire system to my Penhall 4 seat pre-runner .
Any recommendations on a system that would cover passenger and engine areas .
Unfortunately it takes a incident like this to make you realize how important safety is .

Josh 8

Reaction
A big one. Point at the most likely source of fuel meeting an ignition source.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
One of the first things I would do is put a low oil pressure shut off on the power supply to your fuel pump. Helps keep any fire small.

PDANK Racing

Reaction
Safecraft has 3lb, 5lb and 10lb kits, with Automatic (AT, UT, or LM model) or manually (LT model) activated discharge. THey use 3M's Novec 1230 fire protection fluid.

Automatic have a thermal sensor in the hose, near the nozzle. Standard nozzle is blue with 286 deg activation, you can also get purple with 365deg activation.
The AT Model comes with a 6ft hose, lengths of 21", 36", 48", 60", 72", 85", or any custom length is available. Only available in 10 lb bottle. (Doesn't include brackets)
LM Model has a dual head with (2) discharge hoses, includes 21" and 85". Can also be setup with a secondary manual activation switch. Only available in 10 lb bottle. (Doesn't include brackets)
UT Model is designed specifically for UTV's, with 3, 5, 7lb bottles and is available in single (30" hose) or dual nozzle setups(30 & 36" hose). It also includes billet mounting brackets for roll bar.

LT Model is manually activated, and there's a few options. Activation can be done by pull cable, push knob, pneumatic, electric, or electric/ manual.
Pull cable is cheapest and one of the simplest options. There is also a dual pull cable head if your cockpit configuration doesn't allow easy reach for both people.
Pneumatic - I won't cover because I don't feel its correct for this application.
Electric is nice because you can setup with more than one switch, an extra for codriver, or externally mounted by master kill switch.
The Electric / Manual can have two methods of manual override in case the electrical system fails. If the bottle is mounted near occupants, there's a pull pin on the extinguisher head, or you can remotely mount a pull cable.
LT Kits includes extinguisher, aluminum flat mounting bracket, aircraft “T”-bar clamps, 10' of aluminum discharge line (more tubing can be sourced at a local hardware store), three spray nozzles with fittings, and installation hardware. 5lb kits start at $535, 10lb start at $750.

I have many kits in stock, please PM for more info.

Wendell #527

Reaction
I highly suggest testing any system you get. I bought my FlameOut system and installed it. On my next major prep, I grabbed a beer, pushed the activation knob and watched it. I videotaped it too. After watching it I changed the layout of the nozzles. I activated it again and I was MUCH happier with the coverage. A couple refills is cheap and makes for good entertainment too.

Reaction
One of the first things I would do is put a low oil pressure shut off on the power supply to your fuel pump. Helps keep any fire small.

A low fuel pressure sensor just upstream of the fuel rail, but downstream of the pump wouldn't be a bad idea either, since it could cut fuel pump power before too much fuel escapes in the case of a broken line or fuel rail.

Ask the USFS how much more fire suppression costs compared to fire prevention.

Josh 8

Reaction
The only problem with testing the system “live” is that it cost as much to fill a system as buy a system.

Check the pricing.

I learned this taking the seats out and I set the system off. It ran me out of a 30x40 shop with a 16 wide door. I could not breath in there for 5 minutes. And the door was open the entire time.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Josh mine is a different type. It’s a wet system. Some kind of non toxic fire retardant stuff, not the powder. I think it was about $40 to get filled, although it has been a few years so I might be off on that. We did it outside and we had the seats and body off for the prep so we could see it real well. It squirted for about 10 seconds out of 6 nozzles and worked great. The nozzles just didn’t spray where I thought they would. I have that video someplace. Maybe I’ll dig it up and post it.

Case485

Reaction
I added 2 different systems to my daughter's car recently, would love your opinions. First the
Fire Fight Products - SS30-90-CAG 90 Degree Small-Format Automatic Release Fire Suppression
it is not listed on Amazon anymore but I saw a few retailers that still carry. I have it mounted in the engine bay right to the side of the engine.

The other was one i was skeptical about until i saw the reviews and tested it by throwing into one of our burn barrels:
TENYU AFO Car, Electric or Circuit Box Automatic Fire Extinguisher Ball (Purple)
I bought 2 of these and one in the engine bay and the second in the driver's compartment.

I still carry 2 handheld extinguishers but wanted something automatic.

LRS1972

Reaction
Having been in two motorsports fires, one in a boat and one in a Class 1 car racing in Lucerne, fire safety is very important to me. I've installed numerous ESS fire suppression units into sandrails and prerunners for clients. I've also installed them in both of our Class 1 cars and have one on the shelf ready to be installed in my prerunner.

A few years ago I talked to the inventor/patent holder for ESS and he came up with the idea when he was drag racing and not able to get his system recharged at the track. They are economical and come in two sizes- 2.3 liter (5lb) and 5 liter (10lb). The best feature and selling point for me was the ability to refill them yourself. We had a Firefox system accidentally discharge the night before V2R and we couldn't get a replacement so we ran the race without it.

The source of ignition will most likely be the headers. I point a nozzle at each header and one at the fuel pump(s) location.

ESS Fire Suppression system