Fire systems...

ACME

Reaction
We went from buggies to a TL and with all the recent focus on fires we've decided to install a fire supression system. In talking to the different companies we've become utterly confused in what to get and what makes the most sense so I figured I turn to the "Brain Trust" thus here we are... We've already gone to multi layer Nomex suits, Nomex shoes etc.. and since I'm paranoid of fire I think this is the next step as my wife and son also race the TL...

Halon wouldn't work in a buggy IMO due to the open nature but since the TL has a lot of bodywork thus it makes sense and it seems a dry, O2 starvation type system would work effectively. We've looked at the halon replacement systems and like the idea they are clean but the AFFF systems make sense as well as the foam just clicks in my brain as the best way; maybe it's just the fireman with a hose mindset creeping in. Any thoughts on effectiveness of either? Size/wt are an issue as it's a ltd class car and the spot under the pass seat I have picked to put it is tight. My thoughts on nozzle placement are 2 in the engine area (1 on each side), 1 in the trans tunnel area, 2 in the occupant area in the footwell spraying toward the engine/transmission and 1 behind the seats. The cell is far enough back and well protected and since it's open I feel this is the best wat to protect the occupants, cover the trigger areas and buy them time to get out should something happen. If it saves the truck cool but my primary focus is the occupants... I've been told a 2.5 lb would work, a 3.75 and a 5 lb have also been the "one you need" from another vendor and everyone has a varying opinion on the size and type I should use. So I'm looking for some experience here. There's a AFFF FIA system I found for @ $350.00 that is 2.75 LB that comes with 6 nozzles and all the stuff and I'm leaning that way... Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Gracias!!!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I can get you into a steel 4L Lifeline system in the $350-$450 range... Not at the shop to see exact pricing... This is a close to 10lb system. I would go as big as you can...

Here is a picture of the aluminum lighter system in our TT.... As you can see they are the size of an optima red top...

Reaction
Size/wt are an issue as it's a ltd class car and the spot under the pass seat I have picked to put it is tight.
Are you absolutely sure you have clearance under that seat to clear the bottle if the seat is under full stretch droop during a g-out type situation?

A friend once bottomed out to the floor of a car at a Mint, sat on a hemorrhoid ring for the next couple years. And he was lucky, according to his doc.

joe1369

Reaction
I think those Spearco seats are not a suspension style seat??? :D Roid ring never is a good thing.

Are you absolutely sure you have clearance under that seat to clear the bottle if the seat is under full stretch droop during a g-out type situation?

A friend once bottomed out to the floor of a car at a Mint, sat on a hemorrhoid ring for the next couple years. And he was lucky, according to his doc.

Igino

Reaction
we've got a 4.25L AFFF, Steel Bottle, Mechanical Pull, OMP system in our truck. It was about 500 bucks. Installed easy, etc. The guy that sold it to us said that most of the electric actuated systems get sent back for refills from accidental actuation "What does this button do....?". We had enough space to install it between the seats a little bit back.

The first one we got was a SPA system, and we sent it back - quality just wasn't there. The fittings and nozzles were plastic (What the heck?!?!) and the straps for the bottle didn't hold it tight enough - granted we could have fixed that, but by that point we were already turned off enough.

Fortunately we haven't had to use it yet.

ACME

Reaction
I appreciate all the input! With all the talk RE fires I was surprised this thread took so long to catch (no pun intended).

1)The ONLY seats we run are Mastercraft which was a consideration when buying the TL, thankfully they shared the belief this was the best seat on the market. I believe there should be ample clearance however if not it will be put in another spot. We to had a friend with a seat that bottomed in PC and broke his back...

2)I've heard the same with the electrical actuation systems and want to stay pure mechanical.

3) Jerry, I'll call you RE some questions we have about your system, is that alum mount included?

Thanks again and keep it coming! FYI, the wife just got a new "Lico" 3 layer suit and some shoes from an RDC banner ad company out of Tuscon. Shoes are great, I just passed my crows to my son when I saw hers and the suit is a great buy for the price: $265.00; 3 layer nomex, made by Sparco w/o some of the bells/whistles, used at PP for the first time and loved it. Just passing the info, no commercial...

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
3) Jerry, I'll call you RE some questions we have about your system, is that alum mount included?
Yes the mount is included as well as 2 pull handles. One to mount in the cab and one outside so if you crash and catch fire someone coming to help can pull the second handle...

ACME

Reaction
Yes the mount is included as well as 2 pull handles. One to mount in the cab and one outside so if you crash and catch fire someone coming to help can pull the second handle...

Nice! 2 more questions: How many nozzles are included? Do they make/do you stock various sizes? I'm on the road but will hit you up when I return.

Igino

Reaction
i dunno which system you guys are talking about - but most of them come with 4 or 6 nozzles. The nozzles are all teh same size - as they have to have the appropriate hole diameter given the set pressure in the bottle.