First Aid Kits are Worthless

Wendell #527

Reaction
Well, not completely worthless. IMHO having little band-aids, bee sting relief, little cotton swabs, ointment, and stuff isn't what needs to be in a race car's first aid kit. We want to save somebody's life that is badly hurt. We're not going to get out the first aid kit during a race for a scratch that needs a little bandaid. Things like a tourniquet, a diaper (for stopping major bleeding), BIG roll of tape, a small blanket for shock and stuff like that makes more sense to me. Leave the little stuff in the tow rig for minor nuisances. We'll never use it during a race. Just my opinion. What do you guys think?

California MiniTruck

Reaction
Good point man, also a couple things: tampons cut in half for really bloody nose's(I know it sounds gross but its just sterile cotton fellas) something to splint a broken leg or arm, can never have too much duct tape! Maybe even a C collar(as long as the person applying it knows how to use it properly).

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Come by the Fast-Aid booth in Primm next weekend and have our qualified EMT's go through your medical kits. They can make a list of items you should keep with you.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Use sanitary napkins instead of a diaper for bleeding.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Use sanitary napkins instead of a diaper for bleeding.
Yea, that makes sense. They're packaged individually so they'd stay cleaner. I think I used to know that trick but I had forgotten about it. One of my old age things, I guess. Thanks

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
In addition to our little kit of required first aid stuff we carry some survival items: like a compass, signal mirror, magnesium/flint block, small space blanket/stuff sack sleeping bags etc. To supplement the first aid kit we carry Quick-Clot (chemical coagulant) hope to never need it though!

07FJRog

Reaction
don't blame the kit, you should already know what to put in your first aid kit, and it prob is not what you need if you got it at walmart.:eek:

a good kit should be in your pits too not just the race vehicle.

Poor post IMO

jeff

Reaction
Poor post IMO
I respectfully disagree with you. Talking about safety is always a positive if it gets people thinking about safety. I've seen First Aid kits in race cars and chase trucks that must be 10 years old. At that age who knows if anything in the "box" is even viable. If only one person makes an improvement in their onboard medical kit because of this "poor post" it's worth it.

With that said... Lots of racers assume that if their vehicle is deemed race ready (pre-race inspection) they are doing everything they can to be safe. A basic bandaid kit isn't really going to do squat if something bad happens and the sanctioning bodies know this. On the flip side, having a complete medical aid kit that's worth a spit assumes the person in possesion has the skill necessary to put it to good use. My access to an infinite supply of tools and a pile of tube does not make me a talented fabricator. I lack all of finely honed skills necessary to put everything to its best use. I can notch a tube, I can weld, but not very well. The same goes for potentially life saving medical supplies, without the knowledge of how to put them to use properly they aren't much help and can actually make things worse. First response training, even basic training, is probably going to be more beneficial than an upgrade to the supplies stashed away for that time everyone hopes they never encounter.

Aloha

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Correct me if I am wrong but dont we not use tourniquets anymore because more than likely that person will lose that limb and should only be used in life or death situations? Just what I was told in the past.

California MiniTruck

Reaction
Correct me if I am wrong but dont we not use tourniquets anymore because more than likely that person will lose that limb and should only be used in life or death situations? Just what I was told in the past.
You are correct! But you would still need one if all you had left was a stub or a badly mangled limb. Pretty much only use a tourniquet if you are all ready going to loose the limb or the lose of the blood is life threatening. So to sum it up better to have one and not need it, than to not have one and need it.

xjobforacowboyx

Reaction
So to sum it up better to have one and not need it, than to not have one and need it.
I'll second that.

Also, a side note if we have these huge medical kits in our trucks/cars(race or chase) we need to know how to properly use the items in the kits, know when to use items. Not all of it is as easy as it seems. A bit of emergency medical training can't hurt anyone, only help. Just my opinion.

-Keith

California MiniTruck

Reaction
I'll second that.

Also, a side note if we have these huge medical kits in our trucks/cars(race or chase) we need to know how to properly use the items in the kits, know when to use items. Not all of it is as easy as it seems. A bit of emergency medical training can't hurt anyone, only help. Just my opinion.

-Keith
I will second second that! ha, yea a lil schooling never hurt no body.

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
I'll second that.

-Keith
I am glad people are seeing the light on this - Although the title of the thread is somewhat misleading, clearly it was effective since it got me to read it.

This is a big reason why Fast-Aid was started. At first we all agreed we wanted to help those racers, crews, families etc in need after a bad wreck/tragedy in the desert.

After talking about it, we came to realize that it would be so much better to work to prevent or minimize tragedies. That is why we will be at Primm offering a CPR/First Aid Class to this interested. Take it from someone who has performed CPR on someone..... there is no reason not to know CPR and basic first aid - I was trained in it for 15 years before I used it - Point being you never know when you'll need or who you might have the chance to save.

Back to the first-aid kits, we will and also have an EMT at our booth who works rescue for desert races. At no charge, he will answer questions for you about what you really need in a good first-aid kit and what you can leave at home.

Please come by our booth at Primm and introduce yourself to us - We at Fast-Aid are excited to meet you and help in any way we can.

Fast-Aid is a non-profit organization - We are racers helping racers and all volunteers.

Jared

www.fast-aid.org

Wendell #527

Reaction
I am glad people are seeing the light on this - Although the title of the thread is somewhat misleading, clearly it was effective since it got me to read it.

This is a big reason why Fast-Aid was started. At first we all agreed we wanted to help those racers, crews, families etc in need after a bad wreck/tragedy in the desert.

After talking about it, we came to realize that it would be so much better to work to prevent or minimize tragedies. That is why we will be at Primm offering a CPR/First Aid Class to this interested. Take it from someone who has performed CPR on someone..... there is no reason not to know CPR and basic first aid - I was trained in it for 15 years before I used it - Point being you never know when you'll need or who you might have the chance to save.

Back to the first-aid kits, we will and also have an EMT at our booth who works rescue for desert races. At no charge, he will answer questions for you about what you really need in a good first-aid kit and what you can leave at home.

Please come by our booth at Primm and introduce yourself to us - We at Fast-Aid are excited to meet you and help in any way we can.

Fast-Aid is a non-profit organization - We are racers helping racers and all volunteers.

Jared

www.fast-aid.org
I'm glad to see all but one of you got my point. Obviously nobody in their right mind would think a first aid kit is worthless. We do need special first aid kits in race cars because they are being used in different situations than what standard first aid kits are made for. Also on the tourniquet, agreed it shouldn't be used except in life/death type situations, but then again that's what we're up against so it is appropriate to have one. Good to see you guys involved, too---see you at Primm. Thanks

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
I'm glad to see all but one of you got my point. Obviously nobody in their right mind would think a first aid kit is worthless. We do need special first aid kits in race cars because they are being used in different situations than what standard first aid kits are made for. Also on the tourniquet, agreed it shouldn't be used except in life/death type situations, but then again that's what we're up against so it is appropriate to have one. Good to see you guys involved, too---see you at Primm. Thanks

Yeah, I got the sarcasm of the title after I read the thread - LOL!...

.... and, you're welcome - Look forward to meeting you at Primm.

f1sleepy

Reaction
Just to clear up the tourniquet issue. If you lose a limb entirely you DO NOT want to use a tourniquet, just pack the end of the limb with gauze, cloth, sanitary napkin, etc.... The ONLY time you should ever consider using a tourniquet is if a major artery has been only partially severed. (Like the femoral artery mainly and possibly the brachial artery) The reason is that if a large blood vessel is completely severed, it will constrict itself in order to control the bleeding. If the vessel is only nicked, it will not do this and the bleeding will be very difficult, if not impossible to stop by applying pressure. As a result, a tourniquet may be necessary, even then I would not apply it overly tight, just enough to drastically slow the bleeding so that the limb has a better chance of surviving the incident.

James

usmcgunrock

Reaction
I just carry my military first aid kit. And I have added extra bandages and quick clot on top of what already came with it. Even though in racing would not really need quick clot. I also carry extra water(other then what I plan on useing), a GPS, an air signaling panel, and a couple other things.

nismogizmo

Reaction
Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit (Adult, 3-Day)
Part #321322

UOM: EA
Now includes a personal hygiene kit!

Whether you are at work or home, be prepared when an emergency strikes with the Deluxe Emergency Preparedness kit designed to include the following items:

Backpack
Battery Powered Flashlight (batteries included)
Battery Powered Radio (batteries included)
Emergency Blanket
Food Bars (4,800 calories total)
Work Gloves (one pair)
Light Sticks (3 each; one lasts 12 hours)
Moist Towelettes (6)
Breathing Mask (NIOSH-N95)
Plastic Sheeting (10'x10')
Rain Poncho
Personal First Aid Kit
Roll of Duct Tape
Water (2 quarts)
Water Container (2.5 gallon)
Whistle
Personal Hygiene Comfort Kit (includes shampoo/body wash, wash cloth, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, and deodorant)
First Aid and Emergency Preparedness Guide
Product Features

Backpack: Constructed with 600 D. high-resolution durable polyester and self-repairable zippers. It has "S" type shoulder straps and a padded back for added comfort. The back has additional pouches to hold a water bottle, cell phone, and pens or pencils.

Radio: The radio is water resistant for added security that it will work in wet conditions. It takes three AA-cell batteries (included) allowing for more power and better reception.

Whistle: The whistle is RINA approved. RINA is the holding society of the RINA Group, and provides assessment, inspection, certification and research activities in accordance with national, EU and international laws relevant to materials, projects, technologies, products and installations, including the performance of work commissioned by Public Administrations and other Authorities.

Plastic Sheeting: Home Guard Barrier Sheeting which was tested in accordance with United States Mil Std 282 (Titled: Filter Units, Protective Clothing, Gas Mask Components and Related Products: Performance Test Methods). The testing protocol tests the permeability of the deadly agents through the plastic sheeting. When using the plastic sheeting as a barrier between the individual and the deadly agents the results of these tests demonstrate how well the product performs.

http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?UniqueItemId=3

i haven't read the rules for kits that need to be in the vehicles but for 70 bucks, not too shabby. there are cheaper ones, also.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit (Adult, 3-Day)
Part #321322

UOM: EA
Now includes a personal hygiene kit!

Whether you are at work or home, be prepared when an emergency strikes with the Deluxe Emergency Preparedness kit designed to include the following items:

Backpack
Battery Powered Flashlight (batteries included)
Battery Powered Radio (batteries included)
Emergency Blanket
Food Bars (4,800 calories total)
Work Gloves (one pair)
Light Sticks (3 each; one lasts 12 hours)
Moist Towelettes (6)
Breathing Mask (NIOSH-N95)
Plastic Sheeting (10'x10')
Rain Poncho
Personal First Aid Kit
Roll of Duct Tape
Water (2 quarts)
Water Container (2.5 gallon)
Whistle
Personal Hygiene Comfort Kit (includes shampoo/body wash, wash cloth, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, and deodorant)
First Aid and Emergency Preparedness Guide
Product Features

http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?UniqueItemId=3
Often, these prefab kits are ones that will have very little as far as useful EMS supplies in a true emergency in my opinion. While it does not list the contents, I am skeptical for the items included that it would have much more than a few bandaids, a single gauze roll and maybe a pad.

The majority of items that are useful for the basic kit should have lots of gauze pags, numerous gauze rolls, tape, large bandages, saline / eyewash, an adjustable cervicle collar, a CPR facemask, BP cuff and Steth are helpful IF you know what to do with them (takes less than 5 minutes to learn the basics) Sam Splints or just some flat cardboard that can be cut and bent to form splints. Keep zip lock bags in there as well. (you can keep the various stuff in them to keep it clean and use it in a pinch to make ice packs as needed. Dont forget latix gloves.

Many of the other things that are helpful have been improvised by many chase teams and spectators over the years:

pickup tailgate for a backboard

longhandled tools as splints

Just a few off the top of my head. I know Fast Aid is considering a kit that will have things useful to off roaders in their own enviorment so that is a big step and hope to see that come about.