First of the big boys in EV to tackle the SF250!

stephenrjking

Reaction
1. I think encouraging this sort of thing is good for the sport. Make Off Road the standard as the ultimate test of electric vehicles, and get more manufacturers to prove their stuff with it. I doubt it will ever be the "main thing," but making off road races an important goal of alt energy vehicles would be great for the profile of everyone.

2. The way they're describing the effort makes it sound like there are about 10 ways that the thing will break down before the halfway mark.

jon coleman

Reaction
this IS the future of offroad racing,hope they go slow enough to make the check points and finish in time, THAT would be a win, at least it wont be a bad fuel pump excuse..

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Hell yes! Lordstown has been on my radar and now I am really excited to see what they bring to the table!

FYI, these guys are all about hub motors, so overcoming unsprung weight will likely be one of their many challenges.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
hey, I will be the first to say that I have toyed with the idea of building a battery powered buggy to run in Baja. What I do not support is these teams that create a market build up to their successful Baja run before they actually do it, then, when they fail, they still promote their product as 'finished the Baja 1000 course' (not in race time) or 'Won their class at the Baja 1000' when they were the only entrant in class and didn't finish, but by technicality, won. Seen the race whored out this way too many times now. Like to keep it pure.

stephenrjking

Reaction
hey, I will be the first to say that I have toyed with the idea of building a battery powered buggy to run in Baja. What I do not support is these teams that create a market build up to their successful Baja run before they actually do it, then, when they fail, they still promote their product as 'finished the Baja 1000 course' (not in race time) or 'Won their class at the Baja 1000' when they were the only entrant in class and didn't finish, but by technicality, won. Seen the race whored out this way too many times now. Like to keep it pure.
The solution is more contestants and a higher profile for the races, so that they can't get away with it, because the events of the race are widely-enough known that a lot of people will snicker if the OEM tries to pull it off.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
There was a kid that finished/won the E/V class at KOH... yes he was the only entrant but still bad ass to finish that course in time.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
No it wasn't Bailey Cole it was is buddy that bought his old 4Runner and converted it. Bailey drove with Cam Steele in the EMC.
Ah you're right! It was Bailey's old 4runner that he sold to the new owner.

Kyle Seggelin did the EV conversion and raced it with his sister as co-driver.

1613666205634.png

J Burleson

Reaction
Im sure all of the residents of sub-saharan Africa will be glued to the trackers on race day. After all, this is exactly why they gladly give away their land to completely non exploitive developed countries, so that the rare earths found there can power the "future" of planet earth(and cool race cars)! You know what they say, "if you want to save the planet, you need pave the planet!"

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
No offense, but it says "first of the big boys" in the subject title thread and I've never heard of them. Who are they?

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
No offense, but it says "first of the big boys" in the subject title thread and I've never heard of them. Who are they?
They are seemingly much further along than Tesla Cybertruck AND Atlis XT. (all non-hub motor)

Lordstown has been in this for a few years now. They are all about HUB MOTORS.
Rivian isn't too far behind with functioning vehicles. Non-hub motor.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I think when you start throwing the term "big boys" on this forum, the last thing on anyone's mind will be a start up EV manufacturer, just my opinion.

I do think it's cool AF, I also don't think it will go very far based on what I've read. I posted a pic of an EV 1600 car that raced a SCORE TJ race and a few others a few years ago in another thread. I'd like to see more of them built and tested. Although there's nothing fun about a quiet race vehicle coming by you out in the middle of nowhere.

Charlietuna

Reaction
I have virtually nothing good to say about EVs. I will never buy one unless there is literally nothing else to use. And I damn sure don't care about "high performance" electric cars. I want noise, fire, smoke, etc. All that said, Lordstown is heavily backed by GM, who is counting on them to build out their fantasy....uh, EV line. Take that as you will.