First of the big boys in EV to tackle the SF250!

EasyE

RDC Crypto
I think when you start throwing the term "big boys" on this forum, the last thing on anyone's mind will be a start up EV manufacturer, just my opinion.

I do think it's cool AF, I also don't think it will go very far based on what I've read. I posted a pic of an EV 1600 car that raced a SCORE TJ race and a few others a few years ago in another thread. I'd like to see more of them built and tested. Although there's nothing fun about a quiet race vehicle coming by you out in the middle of nowhere.
I disagree, b/c in the EV world they near the front and arguably one of the big players. It's all relative, are they Ford no, but very far along. Call them what you want or pick apart the title, it's still very cool.

trailready

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto
I have virtually nothing good to say about EVs. I will never buy one unless there is literally nothing else to use. And I damn sure don't care about "high performance" electric cars. I want noise, fire, smoke, etc. All that said, Lordstown is heavily backed by GM, who is counting on them to build out their fantasy....uh, EV line. Take that as you will.
If you don't think EV's make noise and smoke, you might be looking at the wrong EV.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Kyles 4 Runner at KOH was so damn cool. I love the idea and it was great to see a small guy build his own and race it. Huge accomplishment and the beginning of a new cool class. I think at some point we will see spec trucks or buggies with crate EV packages.

The reality is that none of these big corporations have any idea what its like to Race or Finish a Baja race. They are in for a rude awaking.

But like Michael just said it would be cool to see Baja become the test bed for these new EV trucks.

Mike

bajafox

Accepted
RDC Crypto
I disagree, b/c in the EV world they near the front and arguably one of the big players. It's all relative, are they Ford no, but very far along. Call them what you want or pick apart the title, it's still very cool.
I was specific in saying that relative to this forum, they are not "big boys"

Maybe it was just me, but I opened the thread thinking I'd see one of the big boys from TT tackling the 250 in an EV...

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Off road racing provided a great proving ground for manufacturers 30 years ago when proving durability was a key selling point. Seems that these days the manufacturers have mostly moved on to things like towing capacity and fancy multi step tail gates, but maybe with the rise of EV's the deserts will again provide a great canvas to showcase how durable and "tough" EV vehicles can be.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
I never thought I'd want an EV until I rode in a Tesla. That thing was cool. And although the sound of a big V8 conjures up thoughts of power, there is something cool about the way that car silently pushes you back in the seat.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
RDC Crypto
Im sure all of the residents of sub-saharan Africa will be glued to the trackers on race day. After all, this is exactly why they gladly give away their land to completely non exploitive developed countries, so that the rare earths found there can power the "future" of planet earth(and cool race cars)! You know what they say, "if you want to save the planet, you need pave the planet!"
Lithium is the second item on the periodic chart and the 25th most abundant element on earth. It is primarily mined in South America and Australia. The other two main ingredients in Lithium Ion batteries are Iron oxide and/or nickel. Of the three, nickel is the rarest, but really not that rare.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
I never thought I'd want an EV until I rode in a Tesla. That thing was cool. And although the sound of a big V8 conjures up thoughts of power, there is something cool about the way that car silently pushes you back in the seat.
My dad has a fairly new 911 Porsche and a model S with the dual motor. The Tesla smokes it and is definitely amazing to drive and be in, but I’d still go for the Porsche if he offered me either keys.

Tesla is the future hands down.

Gadzooks2

RDC Crypto
Website
www.cnse.engr.ucr.edu
I have virtually nothing good to say about EVs. I will never buy one unless there is literally nothing else to use. And I damn sure don't care about "high performance" electric cars. I want noise, fire, smoke, etc. All that said, Lordstown is heavily backed by GM, who is counting on them to build out their fantasy....uh, EV line. Take that as you will.
Bose makes some audio stuff that allows them to pump the sound of whatever motor you want right into your helmet. Problem solved.

bajafox

Accepted
RDC Crypto
Found a little more info. They show where the battery is located, right between the chassis, it doesn't seem like they plan to switch batteries to make the full loop based on where it's placed in this version of the "truck"

A few months ago, Lordstown Motors took the chassis powertrain of an Endurance pickup truck, threw a roll cage on it, and made some fun promo videos showing off the design tackling some rough driving. Things have escalated since then, as the company has now announced that it will be entering a revised version of the that barebones electric truck in the San Felipe 250, a SCORE International Baja race down in Mexico.{/QUOTE}

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Ah yeah, after further reading, they are testing the PLATFORM of the truck. So everything minus the cab/body/luxuries.

Sounds like they mainly want to test the chassis, batteries, and drivetrain.

Atlis is taking a similar approach by focusing development on their XP Platform to be used under their XT Truck.

Neat stuff!

bajafox

Accepted
RDC Crypto
Ah yeah, after further reading, they are testing the PLATFORM of the truck. So everything minus the cab/body/luxuries.

Sounds like they mainly want to test the chassis, batteries, and drivetrain.

Atlis is taking a similar approach by focusing development on their XP Platform to be used under their XT Truck.

Neat stuff!
Yea the video makes much more sense of what they are planning to build (or have built). Chassis, drive train, suspension throw on a roll cage and safety equipment to pass tech and see how far it can go.

I was expecting a class 8S similar build.

Kinda funny how his head bobbles in the beginning of that video with those little bumps, San Felipe is gonna be much much worse lol

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Kinda funny how his head bobbles in the beginning of that video with those little bumps, San Felipe is gonna be much much worse lol

They have no idea. I wish them the best but if they haven't been to SF yet, they are in for a RUDE awakening. Lol

I think their shock package will be the first to fail. Not fail per se, but perform very poorly once up to "temp" (lovely BOILING)
Slap some 3.0's on each corner and now we are talking.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
At least when Ford did the Raptor program for Baja they had guys that had raced and built desert race vehicles to help them. These guys clearly have never talked to anyone with experience building or racing Baja. They probably think the SF250 will be the easy one as its short. LOL

its going to get high centered on the whoops going as slow as they will have to go. Haha They shocks will be gone in 20 miles.

I wish them well but I would not want to be the driver or co driver of that vehicle in SF.

Mike

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm going to attempt to reach out to Lordstown. (wish me luck, LOL)

I want to be sure they realize the challenge they are facing and the obstacles/roadblocks they will need to overcome.