First of the big boys in EV to tackle the SF250!

cynicwanderer

Reaction
hmm, hub drive, AWD, traction control. you'd think with hub drive they'd be able to max out the suspension since you don't have to worry about CV angles, etc... SCORE does have an experimental class, so they could be their class winner, if they finished.

J Burleson

Reaction
Lithium is the second item on the periodic chart and the 25th most abundant element on earth. It is primarily mined in South America and Australia. The other two main ingredients in Lithium Ion batteries are Iron oxide and/or nickel. Of the three, nickel is the rarest, but really not that rare
Rare earth minerals, or "critical earth elements"(called so because they have become critical to modern industries-EV's being one) are NOT rare at all, as you stated. The reason they are called rare is that large deposits of them are rare. Meaning, you cant just mine them from anywhere. Lithium is the 32nd most abundant element(not 25th). Cobalt is the other main ingredient of lithium ion batteries and is a byproduct of nickel and copper mines, with the bulk of the worlds cobalt coming from The Democratic Republic of the Congo. Its the what is found in the soil in The DRC that has kept region politically unstable. And now that China has started to regulate mining in their own country(because of the environmental/social impacts) they have moved on to regions without regulation. The permanent magnet motors that will be in all long range EV's also have many rare earths that all need to mined from somewhere. Yea, sure, I agree that silently whooshing to speed instantaneously is cool, but the whole motive that is being to sold to consumers is that these things "are good for our planet" And thats just a load of Horse s&^t. The Elons of the world know this, but they are in it for cheddar and nothing else. My 93 f350 with a big block has a net lower footprint than any tesla on the road. This should probably be in Purple at this point, so Ill leave it at that.

jon coleman

Reaction
i like J Leno's take on ev VS gas, he said something to the effect that by keeping his 53 buick on the road all these years and not getting a new car every few years , he has saved a S load in toxic waste , i think diesel is the way to go, read a story somewhere on a 100mpg technology that is under lock& key, why??, hmmmm, i wunder

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
That is absolutely false

It is certainly bad in desert racing and most forms though.

In competition rock crawling we routinely put 300-500 pounds of weight in each front tire.

I get what you meant but there are exceptions

And I put 50 gallons of water in the rear tires on my tractor. So Its a race car right?

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
And I put 50 gallons of water in the rear tires on my tractor. So Its a race car right?

Depends if you drive better than you post on RDC

Come on out to the hammers and I will be happy to show you the error in your judgment.

If you dont think there is engineering, performance and talent in rock crawling then maybe your tractor is the intelligent one...

Plus theres the whole reality that Im just pushing your buttons ;)

Tube ride

Reaction
I’m yanking my Toyota axles for some super duty units , that adds a ton of weight but it puts the weight down low where I need it. When your buggy is so light it keeps you planted, but ya I know what you mean, just some motor sports exceptions

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
I remember way back when a bunch of Brits showed up in their range rovers entering in the unlimited class for the Baja 1000.
After a week of rerunning, they finally figured out they had bit off a whole lot more than they could chew and asked to change classes. They wound up in the class with Rod Hall and his stock H1 Hummer. They would pass him in the fast stuff and Rod would cruise on by them in the rough stuff, still crusing at the same speed. 😂🤣😂

ElectricYota

Reaction
Pretty interesting for sure. This week, going to be working on the car, see what it needs. Haven't been able to touch it since KOH. Would probably need more batteries for more swaps to keep a decent pace for 250 miles. Anyone got any leads on a 62kwh or 40 kwh Leaf pack? 617 717 4597

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63

MTPyle

Reaction
Does it have to be Leaf battery pack? Or can you use any any battery that’s the same voltage?

edit- I answered my own question with a google search. Lots of controller parts in the battery pack. Seems the 24kwh are pretty common but harder to find the larger ones. Some DYI kits out there and some company in Canada that’s making a 62kwa upgrade. Interesting stuff. I kind of went down a rabbit hole. Hehe

Mike

Last edited:

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Pretty interesting for sure. This week, going to be working on the car, see what it needs. Haven't been able to touch it since KOH. Would probably need more batteries for more swaps to keep a decent pace for 250 miles. Anyone got any leads on a 62kwh or 40 kwh Leaf pack? 617 717 4597
If you ever make a build thread, I will 1000% subscribe.
Any youtube channel at all?

Stoked to see EV in the offroad world!

J Prich

Reaction
Funny to me to see people trying to dunk on EV cars on various social media posts, etc. Like, this community embraces dudes who race a snow mobile at V2R in August. At the 1000 everyone was stoked on some dudes running a stock class Mercedes. The sport was always driven by innovators and dreamers who went through a lot of beer thinking up ways to make all sorts of vehicles do all kinds of things they shouldn't be able to do. We embrace that legacy of creativity and innovation, but then want to crap on people who are doing just that with EV's.

Do they sound as cool as a V8? No, but neither does a 1600cc VW motor or a UTV. I personally think it's cool to see people attempt to do unconventional things in our sport and the EV stuff is no exception. This particular vehicle might flop badly. But it's no different than the countless other "legit" race vehicles that will be trashed and DNF'd in the first 50 miles or whatever so who cares? I hope people like the dudes at KOH and these guys at San Felipe keep pushing boundaries and inspire others to rethink what is possible.