First Race Report-Powderpuff 2009 #3031

diirk

Well first off, we'd like to thanks MORE and Damzl for putting on a great race for such a great cause. The entire event was organized well and for our first time, everything went relatively smoothly.

This was not only our first race, but the first race for our car too. A Predator X18S, number 3031. First off the line in the first heat. The driver was Wendy Durkee and co-driver was Shannon Wilson.

They launched off the line like a rocket and were doing well until their CVT belt overheated and shredded near MM4. Much thanks to the guys that towed them off the course to MM4. We headed out to repair the issue, and the girls already had everything apart, so we installed the new belt, and discovered the problem. The CVT cooling fan wasn't on......:mad: We fixed the connection and off they went, unfortunately, 50 minutes behind.

The girls pressed forward, skipping pitting and finished 3 laps, coming in 8th in class. Besides the belt issue, which was totally our fault, the car ran very well. The girls are already looking forward to their next race.

diirk

diirk

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QST0X4ECmFQ&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - 2009 M.O.R.E. Powder Puff - 3031 Durkee Racing[/ame]

s@ndm@n

nice pass on the TL
It was 302 (I think that was the #, but it was a 3 truck), not a TL... :( Woulda been a good race with 2 TLs right behind us if we hadnt had the problem at RM4. Our driver was on it all day. Good job Wendy and Shannon!

Shoyrtt

When is the next race? The car looked GOOD off the line. Sorry I didn't get to meet you at tech (my partners in the truck said they ran into you). Maybe next time.:)
Jim

diirk

Thanks Jim. Would have loved a chance to meet you guys. We did check out the truck at tech. Very nice. I think your partners ran into mine at the buggy.
Anyhow, not sure on the next race. Most likely next year, although I've been eyeballin the T4T race in Dec.

diirk

The drivers report:

I was excited and extremely nervous to be involved in my first PowderPuff Race (first race ever for that matter). As we sat at the starting line in our Predator X-18, I just wanted to go. I was the first one off the line in the first heat and felt all of the pressure. Tons of people were watching. What if I stalled it? What if I didn’t go fast enough? What if I awkwardly hit a whoop? I just wanted to get away from the people and drive the course. I was beginning to feel claustrophobic. The take off went fairly smooth. I felt like we got a good start. We did really well for the first four miles. It seemed like we were traveling fast and I was becoming more confident about actually racing. That’s when things turned bad. As we were crossing the wash I was flooring it and we were slowing down. I had destroyed a belt. It turned out to not be my fault (the belt cooling fan fuse was loose) but it was still terrible. We coasted to the side of the course where a cameraman came and asked why we had stopped. (We were waiting for a manicure of course! Wasn’t that included in our race fees?) After he left, three very nice gentlemen came and towed us off of the course. Thanks for your help guys! We got the belt cover off and were prepared when our pit crew arrived to replace the belt and troubleshoot the fan. Our first lap took one hour and thirty-seven minutes! That has to be a record! J Once we realized that we would be back in the race, I just wanted to finish. During the rest of the first and part of the second lap, I was hesitant about pushing the car. Then I finally decided that we needed to test its limits and just go for it!! I think I became addicted to passing vehicles and getting through all the technical parts of the course as quickly as possible. You can ask my co-driver, Shannon, I was obsessed! Stop to pit, No Way! You have to pee? Too bad! You feel sick? Suck it up!! I know I am not very considerate in this environment. Thanks for being understanding, Shannon. You were a great co-driver! We got through three laps and actually finished the race. I would have loved to see how we would have done without the destroyed belt but I guess things happen. We will get it the next time!

I want to thank Eric and Aaron for encouraging us to race and providing all the support while we were practicing and everything else. Thanks Eamon for providing a great car! I love it! It handles great and rides smoothly! We just need to make it faster! Also thanks to all the Hooligans who came out to help and support us (Buggs & Family, Todster, Princess Buttercup, Buford, JT, Chrome, JWS, Ronnie and Family, Rick and Steph, and anyone else that I may have left out)!!!

OldGreen

Mr. Diirk. . .it looks as though you have your driver of record. Seriously. The force is strong in this one. GREAT write-up.

diirk

I agree completely and thanks for your comments. I already new she had the mindset, but was impressed with her desire to win.