• Forum membership has its advantages....

First race

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Just curious, name the first desert race you attended.
Name of the race and the year. As for me, Mint 400 1986.

martininsocal

i can't remember the name! doesn't that suck! it was back in the early '70's up near coalinga/new idriah-i believe it was a california 4x4/buggy event. sand drags, obstacle course, and some shortcourse/timed racing.
first big race was the first frontier 500 in 1982.

If your gonna go, go BIG

PLS

Riverside- 1980or 81. Camped out in the pits along Thompson's ridge(sp). We even got a photo in Hot VW's when we jumped the fence onto the track when the water truck came by! One of the guys with me is still my racing partner today.

Donahoe

1977 Imperial Vally 400 I was 8. I dont rember it except for stickers... I GOT ALOT OF STEEEEKERS...I dont even remember if it was a HRDA race or what?? I know it didnt last long...My Dad was Racing a JEEPSTER CAMANDO................ Frickin NUTCASE...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

martininsocal

hey kreg-was the jeep j-10 that was in nuevo for a few years one of the trucks yur dad raced? i think it was. i used to work at the fire station there and spoke with someone about the truck. they wanted to sell it. just wondering. was it yosten?

If your gonna go, go BIG

Donahoe

Yep Donny Yosten... I think that truck is in Oregen now. We raced that thing for like 8 year...Good truck.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

jimpat

it will date me.but it was the rally from italy to greece.....my dad took me in 1952, in US it was the mexican road race, the old mexican 1000 in 1958, I think, and i helped Dempsey Wilson [my future partner in the Indy 500 car] racing a 1956 Lincloln . We went over a cliff after about 400 miles

spaghetti bender

Terrie_Tavis

Actually, it was quite recently. It was the SCORE Laughlin Challange Jan. 1999. Never heard of off-road racing prior to that. I got sooo hooked that I started racing the following March and have been racing ever since.

[image]www.vorra.com/ttavis.jpg[/image]
The word 'champion' has no gender

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Ok, help me with this. It was the first Stadium race at the LA Coliseum in 198? I think it was 81’ but I’m not sure. Does anyone know what year that was?

Shaun

Junior

I would have to say the first race I ever went to was the 1990 Baja 1000. A relative newbie compared to the lot of you in here but proud to say I was hooked ever since. I have been to every Baja 1000 since.

Junior
EJR Racing #244

mike_hinson

My first race was the Firecracker 250 in Barstow in 1973 or 74. It was put on by AVRRA???, I think. That was before HDRA took over? I worked a checkpoint, stuffing tickets into the beer cans. Had to be real careful not to lose a finger. Have been hooked ever since and luckily still have all my fingers.