First Test Drive

Igino

What do I need for the first test run in my truck - I have the registration, but its not street legal. I just wanna get off-road a bit. I think i need a green sticker, but what about insurance? Is there a way to protect myself if I damage property or hurt someone else? Thanks!

Jack

Yes, you need a green sticker. And yes if you are on state land, you are supossed to have insurance, but most don't ask and don't tell.

3G RACING

theres plenty of insurance guys on here,
what i did was, go to the dmv, get a green sticker, its much cheaper than keeping the plates, if you wanna get the plates, you have to have a windshield and turn signals and i think you cant be wider than 100''?? something like that....
what are your plans for this truck? prerunner? daily driver beat er upper??

Igino

its a completely dedicated race truck. Just getting into racing - gonna try to hit up the MDR sept 26th. My buddy and i have zero off-road racing experience. We've been building this truck for a little over a year now and its about time to put up or shut up.

Igino

while we're on the topic - i would any advice anyone has on both how and what to test, and tips for the first race. We're gonna try to pre-run the lucerne B course on monday.

Wild bill

I personally would get an experienced driver to test the truck first. You will have a steep learning curve on shock setup, etc. An experienced driver can dial the truck in much quicker. I took it a step further and let a friend drive the truck in the first race so that I could see how fast was safe. I learned more in 150 miles in the co-drive seat than I ever would of driving.

Igino

here's a pic of the truck from about a month ago. Got a lot of progress since then - but no pics.

Attachments

Igino

what happens if you get caught without a green sticker? DMV is closed today (budget cuts)

Tacochase

ugh - do you know how much the fine is?
Nope, never had the displeasure of getting one. I friend of mine got a ticket on BLM land and he had to go to the Marine Corps base to pay the fine. It's a federal thing.

O-sider

They can impound it if they want to. We went out one time and the Ranger came over to us and said if the truck even touches the dirt they would take it(it was on the trailer). Also had one time where they gave us a warning and let us test. Go with your gut, if you feel good then do it. Just be ready if you don't have that sticker.:D

Btw good luck with the new truck!

Igino

thanks for the tip. If they take the truck - how hard is it to get it back? lts not that i'm so extremely impatient to hit the dirt - its more of a logistical thing of no other free weekends to test before the race.

O-sider

You would have to go to the DMV and get your paperwork squared away.....pay them money. Then go get your truck from the impound yard....pay more money. If they fine you for not having proper paperwork then....even more money! The thrill of getting to drive your own first race vehicle....priceless!:D

randy s

haul it down to mexico. screw green stickers.

Igino

yeah O-sider, it'll be worth it =)

thats a great call randy - if i weren't trying to pre-run lucerne i'd be down there for sure.

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
go to plaster city i hardly ever seen rangers out there

Test in Parker. In AZ if an OHV weighs more than 1850 lbs, no off road sticker is needed.

Jake88X

Isn't Cal City not BLM land? So no green sticker.

Forty1Racing

Testing may include a... elaborate game of cops and robbers.
that is if your not feelin the green sticker. always good to keep things interesting!