• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic First timer MX San Felipe 250

So I'm wondering what I need to race to Sanfilippo 250. I'm 49 years old and have a KTM 500 EXC with desert tank. I've raced a number of district 37 races and thought I would do this before I turn 50. Any advice would be helpful thanks

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

trentk

My advice would be pick a different SCORE race. That course is absolutely brutal and not in a good way. I have seen it said that its only fun if you are in a trophy truck or spectating and I gotta agree with that. I have several hundred miles on the various trails used for SF250 and raced on it several times and 90% of it is awful; unless 3ft deep whoops are your thing. :) Baja 500 is much more fun IMO.

But if you are gonna do it the pitting isn't too bad just get with baja pits or one of the other services and go race. Get the best flat protection system you can, gear the bike accordingly (very little fast sections)

Good luck, I am sure more bike experts will chime in with more advice

AngryShawn

Rough just doesn't accurately describe the course.
I would strongly recommend you invest some time pre-running, especially this year with the added mileage and shorter gap between handlebars and vehicles. It may be impossible to find alt lines around the really bad stuff, but at least you will know what to expect come race day.
You didn't mention which class you would be running, so if you are thinking about IM, be in better shape than you think you need to be :D

redrdr67

It's been 16 years for me and those whoops were endless. Go off line and you quickly learn what choya cactus is. Also never been through silt beds on our west coast as crazy as the ones in SF. I'll second AngryShawns comment on being in better shape. Other than that, it was awesome!

My advice would be pick a different SCORE race. That course is absolutely brutal and not in a good way. I have seen it said that its only fun if you are in a trophy truck or spectating and I gotta agree with that. I have several hundred miles on the various trails used for SF250 and raced on it several times and 90% of it is awful; unless 3ft deep whoops are your thing. :) Baja 500 is much more fun IMO.

But if you are gonna do it the pitting isn't too bad just get with baja pits or one of the other services and go race. Get the best flat protection system you can, gear the bike accordingly (very little fast sections)

Good luck, I am sure more bike experts will chime in with more advice

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

I’ve been pre-running and support in TT and various other classes for 15 years.... I think the whoops are unbelievable. I’m more worried about what to do to my bike other than desert tank.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Not to try and discourage you from trying but to add to the seriousness of the whoops. A few years ago at a Baja 1000 we were in SF spectating and as we were packing up one of the riders on a bike stopped by to ask how many more miles of whoops he had left. I told him he still had a few more miles (think I said 10 or 15) and he said "fk this Im done, do you know where the road is? Ill take the DQ or penalty, Im not doing this fkn **** anynore" So he followed us out to the road to head back to Ensenada and find his crew.

This year SF is even more dangerous because of the 2 hr gap between the bikes and TTs plus its 320 miles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

motoman29

Get your suspension dialed. SF whoops are way worse than anything in D37.

Other than that, standard desert setup. Mousse in front, UHD in rear (or Mousse).

Pre run, and don't forget to have fun. Race day will fly by quicker than you can imagine.

Hopefully you can find another rider to split up the course, as it will be a rough day to solo it (especially with the TT's passing you).

JDDurfey

I raced the complete SCORE series for several years. We usually had a team of 4 guys for the SF 250 and we used 4 guys for the 500. That shows you how much more difficult that course is. I would consider solo riding the 500 before SF.

I handled the logistics for a few years for the team I rode with and help previously with logistics for another team. There were times when race courses went through SF that we would put a guy on the bike for no more than 50 miles. In fact in the 03 1000 while D2G was being filmed that is exactly what we did.

In 04, the lead off rider on our team crashed and broke his pelvis 15 miles into the race.

In the 1000 or 05 I had a guy only ride a 70 mile section and he was completely smoked after.

It is a brutal course and there is no forgiveness in those whoops. You can't get into a rhythm because they are not evenly spaced and they often have rocks in the bottom of them.

But I say "Go for it" Don't let me discourage you. I would suggest finding a few teammate though. It will be much more enjoyable.

San Felipe is a fun town but the 250 blows donkey. It's doable, but it's absolutely no fun- consider the 500 with a partner or two, or solo with the right prep no matter how you decide to tackle it. The 500 has challenging course sections but starts and ends on the Pacific and is a much more enjoyable experience.

Motoman is on point with set-up and AngryShawn gives the most important advice of all, "...be in better shape than you think you need to be :D." If you're just starting prep now for the 2018 250 you're too late. Consider doing this after you turn 50 and crush it. I'm rooting for you, it'll be a blast if done right.

TecateRay

Look at reports from the 2003 San Felipe 250. First time moto racer hit and killed by Trophy Truck. Don’t start at this race. Yes, it was an accident, but this is no race to mix it up with TTs.

Last edited: