• Forum membership has its advantages....

First timer's guide to participating in the Baja 1000

D-rek

The cage I believe needs to inspected every two years

Agreed, I keep a copy in my truck and read it when ever I have down time at work.

We should be up to date on everything, all of our equipment including harnesses are new as of 2016.

Do the cages need to be recertified?

We have a SCORE tag on ours already but I'm wondering if it will need to be reinspected since it had been a while since our truck has passed through a SCORE tech.

Taquache

We are putting together a few simple videos going over what we do to the truck to show some of the "behind the scenes"

trophygoat

Taquache, I got to say thank you for getting this thread started because I am in the same boat (first generation off road enthusiast) and a scrub in the moto world yet I am determined to compete in the 2017 Baja 1000. I am also using similar preparation strategies and with just a quick scroll through these four pages of replies I have already got 10+ questions answered that I had in the back of my mind.
Instead of starting a thread on here about my journey, I am writing a short journal/docu style book that is going to span our experiences from now until the end of the race in 2017, then I'll post that on here for anyone who is interested.
Congratulations on the new race series in TX (saw an article about the first race earlier) and heres to both of us (and likely many others in the shadows with our same plan) to racing the 50th!

biggjim

Our First Baja 1000 was in 2013. We had raced BITD for a few years prior to that. When we decided to race baja we started asking all of our buddies that we knew had baja experience for help.... We had invited a guy who used to race a 16 car in baja.... he accepted. Then a week later called and told us " Man its been 15 years since I've been in baja....I think you would be better off with a guy who has been more recently than myself." He then gave us his friends number and said he would be interested. To make a long story short.... We were hooked up with Hererra Motorsports... and now Victor Sr, Victor Jr, and their old race buddies have been Solid Members of our team every since.

Find a group that have years of experience down in Baja and it will make Life a whole Lot easier when racing in Baja.

Taquache

Our First Baja 1000 was in 2013. We had raced BITD for a few years prior to that. When we decided to race baja we started asking all of our buddies that we knew had baja experience for help.... We had invited a guy who used to race a 16 car in baja.... he accepted. Then a week later called and told us " Man its been 15 years since I've been in baja....I think you would be better off with a guy who has been more recently than myself." He then gave us his friends number and said he would be interested. To make a long story short.... We were hooked up with Hererra Motorsports... and now Victor Sr, Victor Jr, and their old race buddies have been Solid Members of our team every since.

Find a group that have years of experience down in Baja and it will make Life a whole Lot easier when racing in Baja.
I've been speaking on an off with the "locals" I know that race Baja and have been taking down notes from what they have said about their experiences. I also look forward to the wealth of information I'll have access to when I am down there for NORRA in just a few days. The networking potential will be incredible!

Taquache, I got to say thank you for getting this thread started because I am in the same boat (first generation off road enthusiast) and a scrub in the moto world yet I am determined to compete in the 2017 Baja 1000. I am also using similar preparation strategies and with just a quick scroll through these four pages of replies I have already got 10+ questions answered that I had in the back of my mind.
Instead of starting a thread on here about my journey, I am writing a short journal/docu style book that is going to span our experiences from now until the end of the race in 2017, then I'll post that on here for anyone who is interested.
Congratulations on the new race series in TX (saw an article about the first race earlier) and heres to both of us (and likely many others in the shadows with our same plan) to racing the 50th!
Thanks for the congrats on TORRA! I'm very proud of what we are working to build here to help spread desert racing in the US and Texas. I think we have a great program headed in a direction that will allow racers from all over to compete on challenging courses with great experiences.

I look forward to hearing about your adventure to Baja as well!

Taquache

Here is another video showcasing a unique two into one tool that one of my partners in the race truck created.

AZ7000'

I look forward to a post race report on the jack handle lug wrench.

I'm a fan of the KISS methodology...

Fancy is well..... Fancy

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

nickybobby333

I agree with Trophygoat. My brother, dad, and I are planning on running the 1000 next year but on a bike. We raced the 500 last year and are going to race it again this year along with some BITD races. This thread has been/is/will be a great resource for all racers in a similar situation. Thank you for telling this story! Next year November will be here before we know it!

El Mamito USMC

I agree with Trophygoat. My brother, dad, and I are planning on running the 1000 next year but on a bike. We raced the 500 last year and are going to race it again this year along with some BITD races. This thread has been/is/will be a great resource for all racers in a similar situation. Thank you for telling this story! Next year November will be here before we know it!

quad is the way to go... LOL... cant wait to rip it on the 50th

DRZ_Motorsports_119

Where also going for the 50th Baja 1000 on a bike, good old fashion 2 man team all the way to the tip.

trophygoat

Where also going for the 50th Baja 1000 on a bike, good old fashion 2 man team all the way to the tip.
Same! But we are trying to get a 3rd rider... cuts the costs! :D

I am hoping that the entries will be way up with everybody wanting to do the big 50th running.
I am expecting entries to be through the roof. Maybe even record breaking for some classes (especially UTV)

El Mamito USMC

Taquache

Weeeeeeeeeeell

It's official, I love Baja!

NORRA was awesome! In fact it was so awesome I think we are switching gears a little and planning to attend the 2017 NORRA (also a 50th anniversary) Still planning the same amount of prep and will continue to document here. I have lots of good notes and will be making post about that information in the future.

Here is a link to a recap of my trip to Baja (via Facebook).

I have a video interview I did with a buddy of mine, I'm still trying to get the link for that... (Also on Facebook)

You can find it here: Entitled "On The Curb"

https://www.facebook.com/wickswayauto/

Taquache

Found it!

Mikel97

Hey Everybody, hoping someone can toss up some useful information as I am traveling to the Baja 1000 for the first time.

I have been keeping an eye on the border crossing times. Rule of thumb says not to drive while dark but planning to leave at 4-5AM on November 21st, race ends 20th. I am trying to figure out how long I would be at the border as I am sure the event will increase traffic. I currently have an 11:20AM flight out of San Diego. If I roll from Ensenada at 5AM, chances are hoping worst case in San Diego by 920? Two hours early for a domestic flight? That would suggest I am at the border at 645AM ish, for about 2 hours and 15 minutes, is that in the ballpark?

I just do not want to make a decision based on watching the current crossing times at 6-7AM only to have that double because of the event.

Any information helps! Thanks!

BoscoKID

H

I just do not want to make a decision based on watching the current crossing times at 6-7AM only to have that double because of the event.

Any information helps! Thanks!
There are 3 times when one should consider crossing the boarder. When it's Bad, Real bad, and horrible bad,,,there is real no "good time" to cross. Your time frame is probably OK, but leave by 4:00 am to get you to the boarder by 6:00. That gives you 3 hours,,,hek, even it it only takes you 1 1/2 or 2 hours, go eat breakfast, then head to the airport. GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME

Taquache

Sorry I've been kind of quiet recently. I have not lost any steam on this project just a little down on time due to my job, running a race series, and also racing in a separate series.

I'll be catching up on this thread soon as I'm starting all my official planning and preparation for the rapidly approaching 2017 NORRA Mexican 1000. We will be racing in that event in April and are very excited.

A little recap of the truck and team's current progress.

We've raced 6 races in Texas between two series, podium placing at 5 out of the 6 with 2nd place or higher. My team took their first first at the Butterfield Stage 300. We are extremely impressed with the durability of our truck. One more race with the other series coming up in 2 weeks where I'll be driving the whole 200 mile race and then one more 200 mile race with my series in October.

After that the truck gets a FULL teardown and prep for Mexico.