First Truck Build

CliffDynamite

Reaction
I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4wd that I am looking to start building up this spring/summer. I am planning on doing a mid travel setup up as this is my daily driver and I need to retain bed space. At this point I am planning on doing the JD Fab mid travel and coil over kit and put on some kings front and rear. This was the only mid travel kit I have been able to find for my truck. I am looking for any other recommendations or advice. I would love to be able to run 100mph through the desert but I do not have the budget or time to maintain a truck to that level. I mostly do 4wd trails in the Colorado mountains, the western slope, and Moab. I am looking to improve my ride off road and have the ability to drive rocky and washboard roads faster and smoother. Also, what can I actually expect out of a mid travel set up as far performance and reliability?

Thanks Guys.

CliffDynamite

Reaction
I forgot to mention a couple things. The truck has a 4 inch lift on it currently with blocks in the rear and a diff drop in the front. Not sure if I should ditch the lift or keep it on the front end. I plan on doing new rear shocks and ditching the blocks and gaining whatever lift I need for tire clearance with leafs.

biggjim

Reaction
I dont think a mid travel kit will stack into a lift kit. Id say ditch what ever was on there and start fresh with JD kit. I am unfamiliar with that kit but i would assume it is replaces, upper, lower and spindle on the front. There arent many options for 99-06 mid/long travel kits for a 4wheel drive.

CliffDynamite

Reaction
The JD kit replaces the upper control arm, tie rods, converts the torsion bars to coilovers, and taller shock towers. It says it will work with a lift but I do not know if there is any advantage or disadvantage to leaving the lift.

biggjim

Reaction
The JD kit replaces the upper control arm, tie rods, converts the torsion bars to coilovers, and taller shock towers. It says it will work with a lift but I do not know if there is any advantage or disadvantage to leaving the lift.
I would be leery of it "working with a lift" Most lift kits widen your track width which change's the spindle geometry. So for example a spindle off a 4" cognito lift kit wouldn't work on a 4" BDS lift kit. I would take their kit and install on a stock height truck and use ONLY their parts to assemble. Otherwise you are asking for problems that neither company are going to be able to answer for you.

CliffDynamite

Reaction
It does state on their website that it does not widen the track width. However, if there is no advantage to leaving the lift on it makes more sense to me to take it off to avoid any potential unseen problems. As I bought the truck with the lift already installed years ago I do not have the stock spindle. Should I use OEM style spindles or is there aftermarket spindles that may be more ideal for this build? The 4wd market is very small especially for this series of GM trucks.

biggjim

Reaction
Ahhh, now that I looked at it what your getting is a uniball upper control arm with a coil over shock. Id imagine that would be safe to run with a lift kit....only thing I could see getting weird is shock length.