First truck race in desert in a truck....advice needed

Fire1998

Hey guys....Im racing the mint 400 in my rebuilt 30yo Jeepspeed 2700 class Dodge Ram50. Truck is modernized with all new kings and bumpstops, wiring, 2 GPS, seats, new 2.6 motor and 4 speed auto transmission and more. Truck was stored inside for 30 years and was a good platform to start with. Anyway thats background on truck. Background on the driver....me...ive been racing dirtbikes for 25 years. My copilot and I have raced many BITD races on bikes since 2006. Im looking for any advice you can give me for my first race in a 4 wheel vehice. Probably not the best first race but truck is done after 6 months in shop...so why not!!!

Attachments

Blackmutt

I agree with RedRide. Racing is expensive and you'd hate to break in the first few miles over a weak part you could have discovered with a little testing.

Have fun and drive for a finish! Keep that truck sunny side up.

Advantage West

When you get caught, make sure your co rider gives a healthy wave to let the driver behind know that you see them and that your working on getting out of the way. If you cannot find a spot quickly, make sure to give another wave, so they know your not rabbiting but trying to find an opening to move over. Give them room but keep your speed up somewhat. You do not want to pull back on the track going slow in dust and have someone behind them slam into you. IMO, best practice for giving and getting respect as a newbie in a car.

J Prich

Drive within your limits, have realistic expectations based on your skills and the truck's ability, and have fun!

Fire1998

Have a knowledgeable person tune the new shock setup properly. Could make for a long uncomfortable morning.
Heading down to Vegas on monday. Ive looked for someone knowledgeable with shock tuning but have not found anyone willing to set truck up with new shocks. King valved them according to specs we gave them. Hopefully thats close. I know how to setup a dirtbike but not triple bypasses or IBS shocks.

J Prich

Heading down to Vegas on monday. Ive looked for someone knowledgeable with shock tuning but have not found anyone willing to set truck up with new shocks. King valved them according to specs we gave them. Hopefully thats close. I know how to setup a dirtbike but not triple bypasses or IBS shocks.
Contact TJ Flores. Shoot me a PM and I'll connect the dots for you. TJ is local and knows what he's doing. If he's available he'll take good care of you.

Robin Hood

Read all the pit, safety and fueling rules ASAP and start to prepare. There is a lot of stuff you will probably need to buy or borrow. It will make tech hectic if you are not prepared.

J Prich

Read all the pit, safety and fueling rules ASAP and start to prepare. There is a lot of stuff you will probably need to buy or borrow. It will make tech hectic if you are not prepared.
Cheaper just to pay Baja Pits or a similar service, given the circumstances.

Fire1998

We will be pitting with my Fab guy Wayne Demonja whos racing 7100. He'll have a pit crew to help us out.

Fire1998

Have a date with TJ just before Mint!! Feeling at ease now knowing trucks suspension will be setup properly!!

IRONGOOK

Hi Fire1998. Im the other 2700 jeep in your class. Feel free to get ahold of me. The Jeepspeed racers are a great group of people, always around to lend a hand. I'm a firm believer in pooling resources and helping each other out. PM me
Wayne

johndjmix

Take it easy. Don't go by all the videos of guys flying wide open. I came from the quad world and have learned it's better to slow down rather than pound through those rocks and end your day.

From Parker: (destroyed wheel and broke spindle)

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1487484435.250442.jpg

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

Fire1998

Take it easy. Don't go by all the videos of guys flying wide open. I came from the quad world and have learned it's better to slow down rather than pound through those rocks and end your day.

From Parker: (destroyed wheel and broke spindle)

View attachment 178273

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com
Hey...I see your from denver. Im just north of you in Cheyenne Wyoming. Hopefully ill meet ya at race and see your truck and pit stop setup.

Fire1998

Hi Fire1998. Im the other 2700 jeep in your class. Feel free to get ahold of me. The Jeepspeed racers are a great group of people, always around to lend a hand. I'm a firm believer in pooling resources and helping each other out. PM me
Wayne
Theres only 2 of us....2 men enter...one man leaves!!! Ill PM ya.

BANNED4LIFE

good luck in the former team PISTOL machine....that truck was built for class 3 score specs, LONG AGO.....cool that its back racing jeeps where it was first built to do.....GOOD LUCK!!!