First Ultra4 experience

stephenrjking

Reaction
I actually feel like I should put this in a place with more traffic, but this will have to do.

Caught the Ultra4 race at Crandon Saturday night. I had to leave promptly to drive four hours and be up at 7 Sunday morning, so it took some investment, and I left a bit early on purpose, wanting the experience but conscious of time.

No matter: Wow was that worth it.

So, being aware of the previous Ultra4 races at Crandon, having seen a bit of last year's Saturday race, I went in thinking the night format would be... underwhelming. Harder to see the trucks, etc. And, honestly, a quick climb up some rocks plus some tooling around the short course doesn't seem to really do justice to what these things are built for. But I wanted to see them in action in person, and we headed over to the quarry area to watch.

And it turns out that the experience of hearing the start, waiting, seeing the lights flicker through the trees, and then watching the trucks emerge down the road at full blast, in the dark, is... absolutely amazing. The darkness wasn't a bug, it was a feature. I do, still, wish there were more rocks, because those times we got to see passes on the rocks (Horschel's split of two lapped trucks was great) it was thrilling. It was harder to track the whole race from there without the track audio, and the race itself was kind of a procession, but no matter: the experience of sitting nearby, watching them, listening: Fantastic.

It really does well for the larger world of off road that Dave Cole embraces other disciplines instead of trying to compete with them. I guarantee that Ultra4 has gained thousands of fans from the Midwest by bringing the rock racing up here, and with points on the line next year, it will only get better. I am a big short course fan, but honestly on my drive home it was the Ultra4s on the rocks at night that were running through my mind.

It was a spectacle. I'd love there to be more rocks, enough to really challenge the top vehicles, and I'd love some stuff for them to climb on Sunday (let's face it, short course is not what these things are built for), but those are improvements on an already-solid spectacle. Well done.

Now I *really* need to try to make KOH someday.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I actually feel like I should put this in a place with more traffic, but this will have to do.

Caught the Ultra4 race at Crandon Saturday night. I had to leave promptly to drive four hours and be up at 7 Sunday morning, so it took some investment, and I left a bit early on purpose, wanting the experience but conscious of time.

No matter: Wow was that worth it.

So, being aware of the previous Ultra4 races at Crandon, having seen a bit of last year's Saturday race, I went in thinking the night format would be... underwhelming. Harder to see the trucks, etc. And, honestly, a quick climb up some rocks plus some tooling around the short course doesn't seem to really do justice to what these things are built for. But I wanted to see them in action in person, and we headed over to the quarry area to watch.

And it turns out that the experience of hearing the start, waiting, seeing the lights flicker through the trees, and then watching the trucks emerge down the road at full blast, in the dark, is... absolutely amazing. The darkness wasn't a bug, it was a feature. I do, still, wish there were more rocks, because those times we got to see passes on the rocks (Horschel's split of two lapped trucks was great) it was thrilling. It was harder to track the whole race from there without the track audio, and the race itself was kind of a procession, but no matter: the experience of sitting nearby, watching them, listening: Fantastic.

It really does well for the larger world of off road that Dave Cole embraces other disciplines instead of trying to compete with them. I guarantee that Ultra4 has gained thousands of fans from the Midwest by bringing the rock racing up here, and with points on the line next year, it will only get better. I am a big short course fan, but honestly on my drive home it was the Ultra4s on the rocks at night that were running through my mind.

It was a spectacle. I'd love there to be more rocks, enough to really challenge the top vehicles, and I'd love some stuff for them to climb on Sunday (let's face it, short course is not what these things are built for), but those are improvements on an already-solid spectacle. Well done.

Now I *really* need to try to make KOH someday.
For a long time I thought rock crawling was lame but I had only seen it in videos and online Never live in person. I only took me one event to completely change my mind. I go to A LOT of races and the Ultra 4 events have become my absolute favorites.

lxh0318

Reaction
It will be really cool if 100 ultra 4 trucks show up for Crandon next year. It’s turned into one of my favorite races of the year and I really want to show the awesome fans what we can do. I hope they can find a way to divert us off the short course an into a rock pile like we do in Reno at the Wild West Motorsport Park.

stephenrjking

Reaction
It will be really cool if 100 ultra 4 trucks show up for Crandon next year. It’s turned into one of my favorite races of the year and I really want to show the awesome fans what we can do. I hope they can find a way to divert us off the short course an into a rock pile like we do in Reno at the Wild West Motorsport Park.
Well, there is the rock climb section on Saturday. I wish there were some more challenges in addition to it, but it’s cool and I can attest that it draws a lot of fans over from the main part of the track.