Fitment question

Dezert.riderr

Reaction
I’m 16 and have recently been looking to get a cateye Silverado for my first truck and want to be able to fit 35s and was wondering what would be a good way to go about this suspension, wheel and tire wise to get the “pre runner” look without spending every last penny I have. usually will be used to get to and from work and to take my dirtbike out but will occasionally go off-roading in the truck when we go to dumont, glamis, and around town to some trails. Any answers would help and are appreciated, thanks .

Last edited:
Reaction
Don't do it. Leave it stock. Work on your insides, then the truck's insides. Don't fall for a "look."

The latter is probably good advice for your first marriage, too.

Don't ask me how I know.

Cheap lifts look it, and drive worse.

Get your parents to rent you a SXS when "needed."

Dezert.riderr

Reaction
Don't do it. Leave it stock. Work on your insides, then the truck's insides. Don't fall for a "look."

The latter is probably good advice for your first marriage, too.

Don't ask me how I know.

Cheap lifts look it, and drive worse.

Get your parents to rent you a SXS when "needed."
The trucks interior is already almost perfect for an 05 we’re getting it off of a family friend that rarely used it and was kept in a garage it’s whole life. It has under 100k miles and I want to make it look different that everyone else with a stock cateye. We also have an x3 my parents would let me take out but I want to be able just to go in my truck sometimes without having to pull a trailer with the can am on it just to go off roading

J Burleson

Reaction
Dont beat on your daily driver. Keep it stock. Resist the urge to have "the look" Save your money.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
The front end of that truck is already worn out, so adding a lift or anything else will just multiply the issues. Like others have said, save your money. Use the same money and get a bike/quad and have some fun. It sucks having to walk to school when you break your daily driver.

jon coleman

Reaction
i went for the mteg look back in the day ,low, biggest tire that would fit a stock sr5, four wheel front fenders, poor man s bulged bed sides, it looked cool untill i put bilstiens& sway a ways the look ?, now its time to live ' the dream, ' beat it to pieces, i agree, leave it stock & you wont get urge to see how those35's slide into that hi speed plaster city burm.yes walking to skool sux, my issue was two older sisters that i had to share the 64 1/2 mustang 289, yes, it was scary fast, drum brakes and origenal tires

5280Ranger

Reaction
Don't listen to all these old kooks (except me). DO IT! You're only young once. Just know you'll be spending more money than you want or have to buy and fit the tires and if you don't spend more for gears it will probably suck a little until you do. I had to have 35s, then 38s on my '76 F 150 when I was 16. Gearing sucked, couldn't pass on the highway but it was mine and it looked COOL hauling my quad to the desert! Oh and the chicks dug it.

novaman64

Reaction
That body style you dont need a ton of lift to stuff 35's under it (at least on a 4x4), gonna depend a lot on wheel offset. I will say do a small lift (spindle), i have seen people do torsion keys and upper control arms but it will ride horrible and destroy itself. Small lift, trim the bumper a bit and fender liner dont have crazy 12" wide wheels that stick out of the fender 8" and you will be able to stuff them in their without much issue. As someone else mentioned, gearing is huge. I have a Silverado 1 ton diesel on 35's and I went from the stock 3.73 to a 4.56 gear when I got 35's to keep it happy when towing heavy. Even on a 600hp/1000ft/lb truck those heavy wheel/tire setups suck down power.

BTFfabrication

Reaction
I have a set of 3” spindles I took off my Silverado daily driver, probably 2 years old. $100 and there yours. Just do it!!

Bert is my name

Reaction
My first truck was an 88 s-10 with a spindle lift and fab tech arms. Brake caliper would hit lower arm and cause the caliper to collapse and lose brakes until I pumped the. Back up. I was constantly fixing the truck because I thought it was a prerunner. Unless you have the tools time money and ability to fix what you will break leave it stock. Drivers are meant to be just that. Dual purpose trucks on a high school income rarely work out. Buy a mini truck if you want to have a beater. Leave the driver alone so you can tow your beater.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I am fortunate enough that my parents would help me out when I broke it. But I was constantly working around the house to pay my debt. I was also fortunate I. Tha t my dad knows his way around cars and I learned to fix vehicles myself. That truck helped me build a career as a mechanic.

BTFfabrication

Reaction
Sheesh let the kid, modify his truck. How did we all learn how to work on, build and repair vehicles? By doing just what this kid wants to do with his truck. We all complain about the new sissy generation, but the next generation of “desert folk” have got to start somewhere. Not all of us can afford the TT, trailer and tow vehicle right out of the gate. Let him put too big of tires on his truck, spend all his pizza delivery money on shocks and a front end and he will learn how to work on and fix a truck when it breaks. Maybe in 10-15 years he will be where some of us are and can afford to build something and won’t be like the rest of people his age who can’t tell a door knob from a hole in the ground.

Bert is my name

Reaction
D.i.y. people are a dying breed. I wasn't trying to discourage the kid. Just telling him my experience. My recommendation is to save your money for the good stuff. And don't let some hack shop or your buddies tear up your truck. Do your research and understand what you are changing and why. Stock is best for longevity and reliability. Once you deviate from that it will affect the rest of the truck. If you understand and plan for this you will get maximum enjoyment from your project.

Reaction
That body style you dont need a ton of lift to stuff 35's under it (at least on a 4x4), gonna depend a lot on wheel offset. I will say do a small lift (spindle), i have seen people do torsion keys and upper control arms but it will ride horrible and destroy itself. Small lift, trim the bumper a bit and fender liner dont have crazy 12" wide wheels that stick out of the fender 8" and you will be able to stuff them in their without much issue. As someone else mentioned, gearing is huge. I have a Silverado 1 ton diesel on 35's and I went from the stock 3.73 to a 4.56 gear when I got 35's to keep it happy when towing heavy. Even on a 600hp/1000ft/lb truck those heavy wheel/tire setups suck down power.
What did you do to upgrade your brakes to compensate for all the impact of the larger wheels and tires?

Bigger boots? ;)

BTFfabrication

Reaction
D.i.y. people are a dying breed. I wasn't trying to discourage the kid. Just telling him my experience. My recommendation is to save your money for the good stuff. And don't let some hack shop or your buddies tear up your truck. Do your research and understand what you are changing and why. Stock is best for longevity and reliability. Once you deviate from that it will affect the rest of the truck. If you understand and plan for this you will get maximum enjoyment from your project.
I know it’s best to leave a daily driver alone and if he was my son I’d probably say don’t touch it. But your right, the guys building cars in their garages are getting few and far between these days. I did all the same stupid stuff to my cars when I was 16, but I had fun and most importantly I learned a whole lot. And growing up in the garage watching 2 older brothers and my dad build cars has left a lasting effect on me. You can’t learn much if you buy a TT and race it and then it breaks and you take it back to the shop to get fixed and prepped. Maybe I’m just a little old school compared to people my age.