Flaired

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Is anyone else un-happy with the way that the open wheel cars are being handled in the us, refering to cart and irl. I used to love indy car racing, thought it was way better than roundy round nascar, but then and now they are lost monkeys in the mist, not knowing what to restric and do next. when Irl was created I would not and still will not watch it, can barly stand the 500, because they are N/A cars, and to me it might as well be a nascar. And now I here that cart is now N/A or will be.

F1 and le mans for LIFE.
Besides where else can you see audi rip the rear of the car apart and have it back togather and out the door with a new pumpkin in like 10 min. That is all I car about with the le mans, to hell with the racing, I want to watch the pitting mayley take place.

"There are a lot of people hoping I fail. But I like that. I need to be hated."

michael_loomis

Reaction
hey .... F1 cars are N/A !

i agree i was a CART fan till this CART/IRL war began .... hated the roundy rounds. i'm a Robby G fan so i kinda follow whatever he's driving. love him or hate him the guy can drive the wheels off anything.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I second the Gordon comment, talk about just about done it all. No, F1 are N/A??, did not know that, ohh well I still take it over CRAP/IRL

michael_loomis

Reaction
true true ..... F1 is the baddest ass form of motorsport on the "pavement" , you never see those guys driving in circles !! (except after a victory!) and the technology is INSANE . the new rule changes are good to keep teams more competitive but kinda suck as far as new developement goes.

00TRDTaco

Reaction
I'm getting tired of always seeing the Michael Shumacher(sp?) winning in F1 though. Don't know if any of you guys heard this already but I read in my new issue of Car Craft, that the CART series is changing big time now. Ford and Bridgestone bought them out and are going to run spec type cars. I could scan the article tomorrow if anyones interested.

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
I hear that. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports as far as I'm concerned. Think about it, what would a guy go and race once he's competed in F1.

Bill Schmitt

martininsocal

Reaction
Well- ask aprnelli Jones...He went as fast as you can go in anything other than a dragster on asphault and came back to the desert. Even the big Nascar drivers spend time during their seasons to sharpen their skills and keep up car control on the dirt during teh year. What does that tell you about the guys who run dirt all year?

If your gonna go, go BIG

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
cmon now F1 is by far the highest level of any motorsports. Near unlimited amout of technology and money can be spent in that series. I like all forms of 4 ond 2 wheel racing no matter what it is usually. Schumaker (sp?) makes like i believe something like $26 million a year to drive a car thats awsome. id love to be able to just get paid or be able to race anything just cause i beleieve it would be fun as hell. my opinion cart/irl crap now a days i usedto like cart more but now its lame to watch. NASCAR winston cup is fun to be apart of in person but watching a race on tv for 5 hours thats not fun same with F1 watching one guy lead the entire race and win by 4 minutes what a joke. WRC and off road are by far the coolest forms of motorsports to watch though.

Gregg

mustafa

Reaction
Jim Patelli is probably the most versatile driver on this board. He's had seat time in just about every race car there is.

He who lives by the sword, gets shot by those who don't.

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm getting tired of always seeing the Michael Shumacher(sp?) winning in F1 though.

<hr></blockquote>

Just goes to show you how good this guy is. Sure the car he drives is one of the best if not THE best out there but driver skill has A LOT to do with it. I just love watching him blow every one away in the last minutes of qualifying. anyways, just my opinion.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
If cart goes spec, they will be cut from the team. Scan that article, I want to see it.

Jimmy8

Reaction
What the whole CART deal boils down to is that CART is in a rebuilding period. It took a big blow over the past 2 years with the deflections to the IRL. Chris Pook is really trying hard to make it the main feeder series to Formula 1, and I think that it is a very smart thing to do. What it amounts to is Honda and Toyota bailed this year to go to the IRL, and took their engine plans with them. The only real motor CART was left with was the Cosworth badged by Ford. It was too late to really attract automotive superpowers to the series for 2003 because it did not give them enough time to put together competitive engine programs. What it amounts to is he signed a 2 year deal with Ford to be the sole engine provider, mainly because it was his smartest option. After 2 years, in 2005, look to him to change motor rules and one of 2 things will happen that I have heard of. The first would be that he will allow 1 to 2 year old Formula 1 motors to run in CART. This makes it substantially easier for teams like Ferrari, BMW, Jaguar (Ford), and others to get involved, because they will not have to develop all new engines. The second thing that could happen would be that he reopens the series to multiple engine providers like it has been with engines in the same format they are now. I have heard rumors that some of the more high profile like Porsche and MG are interested in getting involved in CART because it still has the world coverage without the Formula 1 budget needed. A few things to ponder. Bernie Eclestone (Head honcho of F1), has had numerous meeting with Pook, and rumor is he is interested in buying 51% of CART. Another thing to ponder is that many Formula 1 teams, including Ferrari attended the Miami CART race after the USGP before heading to the Grand Prix of Japan. Another thing to remember is that in the 80's Ferrari was within an eye wink of putting a CART program together. They were fed up with F1 politics, and even built and badged a Ferrari CART car. There are a few pictures of it still floating around I will try and find. The final thing to look at is that CART just added Germany back on its schedule, and Brands Hatch in England, which is synonomys with producing F1 drivers and in my opinion is one of the highest profile road racing facilities in the world. Finally, Pook opted to run the Brands Indy course instead of the Brands GP course at the facility in England, because he says he respects Formula 1 and would never want to step on their toes. The kicker is that F1 has not run the Brands GP course in 20 years. He is adding these European facilities to attract the European Market (Manufacturers, sponsors, and F1) Well, most of you may not understand half of what I said, but that is your CART lesson for the week for those who do. This is all unbiased knowledge of mine because I am an equal fan of the IRL, Cart, and F1, just info I have heard so take it for what its worth. Also if you are interested, CART's ticker symbol is MPH.

Trophy Truck #15
www.JimmyBeaver.com

martininsocal

Reaction
Jimmy- you bring up some good points and answer some questions I have wondered about for years. Like why the U.S. has gone it alone in the world supercar market. Sure we run Australia and have ventured out occasionally to europe or asis, but why haven't we stepped up and become part of the world series? Whu not secure a couple F1 dates here in the U.S. and then support the world with F3 and F-Toyota and Atlantic, etc... Then you could really have true world Champions and reall feeder series to grow with. I think this is one avenue where the U.S. is not #1 and didn't invent motor racing, so why act like everyone else is second step on the ladder? Just because there is a market that almost supports racing here doesn't mean that there isn't a world market.

If your gonna go, go BIG

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Thanks jimmy for the info, that, as martin said, answered many of my questions about the open whell circits, hope they get the us program togather.

Jimmy8

Reaction
Sometime in the next week I will try and get up a post on the IRL and another on Formula 1. I have so much info on open wheel racing from my European sources its amazing, just no one until now really wanted to hear it. Give me until after Parker though, those long posts take a while.

Trophy Truck #15
www.JimmyBeaver.com

Electrons_Rule

Reaction
Here's a personal perspective about F1 and CART/IRL....

There are a ton of former F1/Champ Car/Sports Car engineers developing the Ford GT (GT40) supercar (we are a small group of speedheads addicted to all things that go fast!). We talk racing all day and night - and manage to design a killer road car too. Many of the engineers are Europeans or Kiwis or whatever - not just Americans. One would probably think that these guys would turn their nose up when it comes to off-road trucks. I was really surprised to hear that most of them know what a Trophy Truck is... whenever I get some new Enduro Racing movies/footage - everyone gathers around to watch it - and they really dig the technology of long travel suspensions and different truck architectures (IRS vs. live axle, 2WD vs. 4WD, rear engine V-drive vs. front engine, center seat vs 2 seat, V8 vs. I6 vs. V6) racing each other. In many ways, Trophy Trucks are the ultimate in an "engineer's series" - even more so than F1.

Of course if Trophy Trucks ever had serious development budgets behind them, it too would evolve to an F1 scenario where the best engineering solution wins every time...

martininsocal

Reaction
That is sacrilige! There already is a Ford GT40 and it already is a super car! Ford and Shelby outdid themselves with that program in the '60's. That is the most beautiful car I have seen, regardless of technology and era. And I know, My fatherlaw owned the last real Shelby King Cobra to exist(not that hacked together canadian wanna be running around). The GT40 always will rule in my eyes, you guys need to call it the GT41!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Jimmy8

Reaction
I am only hoping that our Ford Dealership is lucky enough to be one of the few that get the car.

Trophy Truck #15
www.JimmyBeaver.com

hoeker

Reaction
i agree martin, the original kicked everything, but in todays market the new one is just as good. i had first chance to see the one at SEMA , and i was totally impressed.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.