Flat Black Paint.

Reaction
Im trying to go for the flat/matte look on my f150. After researching it i found that a few of the rat rod guys used john deere blitz black paint. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Zambo

Reaction
I like the matte look but I think you probably want semi-gloss/ satin rather than a true flat paint.

Reaction
black primer is whats on it now. it scuffs to easy and it shows water spots real bad. the john deere paint is only like 25 bucks a gallon and its supposed to last forever.

craigincali

Reaction
Personally, I love the rattle can "Rustoleum" look. At $25 you cant go wrong with the Deere paint . If it sucks, you are only out a few bucks and a couple hours of your time.

stoprez2006

Reaction
I would check out Kustom Kolors Hot Rod Flatz line of paint. It comes in both flat and matte finishes and is a true solid automotive paint. My brother just did his Camaro with it and said he really liked working with it and it was worth the money. I have to say it came out looking really nice and he did go with the matte finish.

NicksTrix

Reaction
ppg DP90 epoxy primer sealer.
super tough stuff. it's a perfect semi/satin black. not sure on if it will chaulk up after a few years in the UV

another option is SEM makes a satin black as you discribed for the rat rod crowd.
hth

Papá de Azúcar

Reaction
SEM makes the best product on the market for this look! :D

I have used the all the affore mentioned products except the John Deere??? They all suck or don't last, difficult to spray evenly, etc...

The problem is that all these other products are primers or uncatilized bases and they will not survive the "SUNS UV's". They all turn gray or chaulky eventually and they are difficult to maintain that look unless you don't mind touching up every few months. Living in Phoenix AZ I have to admit SEM Hot Rod Black is the best product for this look I have found. I have shot PPG, House of Kolor, Valspar, Sherwin Williams, Martix, RM, DuPont, Sikkens. If there was something better I would be using it! The SEM paint is real easy to shoot and get that true flat (satin) look and is very maintainable.

http://sem.ws/Catalog.asp?prod=272

Attachments

• 272_a_medium.jpg
    272_a_medium.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 228

tim_krueger

Reaction
Krylon Semi-Flat Black, the SY2 was originally painted with that. Use to be available at Walmart, but the one by my house no longer carries Semi-Flat, the replaced it with Satin which is ok a little less dull but doesn't cover as well.

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
Reaction
Im trying to go for the flat/matte look on my f150. After researching it i found that a few of the rat rod guys used john deere blitz black paint. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Once you go Blitz, you'll never go back. Seriosly tough paint, goes on great, but it is a semi-flat paint. I use it on my racecar dash.