Fly-N-Hi Trophy Truck Transmission

jcorsico

Reaction
Does anyone know what kind of transmission Fly-N-Hi is running in their trophy truck? I found this picture on their web site, and notice the paddles behind the steering wheel. Is this trans related to the one that Herbst has been developing?

elcaprerunner

Reaction
That looks like the same kind of shifters alot of the WRC rally cars are using. The way it works is you pull one of the "paddles" and it shifts up, you pull the other one and it shifts down, or push it and it shifts down, I am not quite sure. If you ever watch the WRC rally cars on SpeedChannel they usually show a view from the dash facing the driver on one of the cars and you can see and hear them shifting with it, it also does not have a manual clutch, the clutch os automatic I am pretty sure, like on a small dirt bike or quad. However I am not sure if that is what the Herbst's are developing though. That is a good idea, I never thought of that being in a dezert car or truck, I'm sure it will be alot easier and faster shifting, atleast it seems that way for the rally cars, and it will probably work better in the dezert.

P.S. I like the sandle for the gas peddle, definately a good way to keep your foot on the gas. :)

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

RacerX

Reaction
I could be wrong on this because I heard it along time ago from someone. From what I heard, Robby Gordon tried the paddle shifting on his TT once but got rid of it cause a couple times he went into a whole and grabed both paddles at the same time. I guess he messed up a couple trannies and said screw it. Can anyone confirm this.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Jim Beaver is running a paddle set up I believe on his TT...maybe he can chime in. You can do the paddle shifting to almost any transmission with some switches, solenoids, valves and pneumatics. I cant see how pulling both paddles would destroy the transmission on teh type I am talking about...(same as a shifter kart), but maybe it was set up internally and then I have no idea how it works.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

RacerX

Reaction
Yeah, I dont know what setup he had or if he had anything at all. I just remeber hearing it and it possibly never happend. Im sure if he did it was some stuff he got from CART.

Jimmy8

Reaction
We originally considered looking at several different options but we will be running the standard winters shifter through a Mogi built transmission. There was just too much cost involved for us to do something fancy at this time. I think the trick set up is the 6 speed like Ashley and Smith are running. Always on the pipe with the flick of a video game joystick.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Got an pics of the new TT Jim?

See ya in the dirt!

Jimmy8

Reaction
There is no really up to date pictures right now. The truck is in California getting some fab work done currently, and will be back the beginning of next year. When it gets back I will have a bunch of updated pics, and I will be sure to let you guys know where to find them.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

ntsqd

Reaction
Look carefully at the posted pic again. Look just to the rear of the shifter lever in the console. Sticking out of the console itself is a pnuematic cylinder with a 90* Instant Fitting screwed into it. I'm assuming that's a shifter lever anyway. I can't see why anyone would put a pnuematic cylinder on a steering brake or something else. My bet is that it's normal auto trans with some sort of racheting shifter that is actuated by a cylinder attached to the shifter lever. Pretty common to see a similar up-shift only system in some drag race classes. Typically they use a little CO2 bottle for a pressure source.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

RacerX

Reaction
Whats up with the mouse eared piece with the two red buttons on it. It sits right in front of the middle seat. The only thing i can come up with is it is for radio.