Fn Dynamics Chikilines Racing Chassis Build

zjohnson

Reaction
In mid 2008 we decided to build a cost effective mini buggy that was a step up from a long travel rhino that was popular at the time. We built 5 vehicles, single and two seat, with motorcycle, VW and ecotec engines. The first vehicle was a motorcycle powered car (R1) and was super fun to drive because of the sequential motorscycle transmission.
Fast forward a couple years, two two seaters racing in sportsman in mexico, several class championships and multiple top 10 overalls in the local series off ESORR and RECORD. Pictured below is the two championship vehicles. The cars turned out to be amazing drivers cars, very fast in technical sections and a winning formula at the 100" wheelbase that the two racecars were.
The next step was to lengthen the wheelbase, the first car proved to be competitive right out of the box with a 2nd in class and 3rd overall at the 2014 El Alamo Record Race. We have been pleased with the interest in the car and have two chassis in progress that will be racing the MORE and BITD series next year.
The amazing thing is 14 chassis later we have decided to laser cut the chassis and offer tacked and weld it yourself kits to save cost on these cars. Following below is the progress of the build with some design images of the chassis, fixture and components, the newest chassis is completely laser cut, and cnc formed. It is a 116" wheelbase and an 80" overall width that can vary depending upon the wheel and tire combinations. Hope you enjoy. I will try to put up a bunch of info and answer as many questions as possible.

Attachments

zjohnson

Reaction
Chassis moving along. We should have it off the fixture in the next week. Can't wait to get this car together and see what she can do!!!

Attachments

zjohnson

Reaction
So I let this thread die . . . but I'm back to revive it. Building another one of these as a play car for a friend and then I'm thinking about finishing the last chassis more along the width of a traditional 10 car, then offering it as a roller for play/race. the car as it currently sits is 116" wheelbase and 76" wide. I'm going to redo the front suspenison to bring the width up to 84" and maybe add 1-2" to the wheelbase of the car by sweeping the front arm forward. Doing this I have also been playing around with a full steering box setup in this car in an attempt to add steering and remove bump steer in turn, we will see how far down this road I travel as its hard to beat the simplicity of the steering box. But back to the car right now. We have a couple driving around as play cars, some racing, and two in progress that will be play cars.
1st/2nd picture is Daniel Nunez racing the prototype car in the more series. The Third picture is the floor going together for another play car.

Attachments