• Forum membership has its advantages....

For DAKAR, Robby SHOULD build :

TRUKTOR

OK,
I'll start.
The main problem with the current rig seems to be top speed (maybe),
But surely speed through the WRC type stages.
I think the NA V-8 is wheezing through the restrictor, and it is certainly choking
When the course gets into high altitude.

The chassis and the other systems seem sorted and reliable, especially
Compared to the last two years.

RG likes the truck, and he has more seat time in it than anybody :
So: leave it alone, and shop for the right Turbo-diesel to replace the gasser.
Since he isn't factory supported, don't feel married to GM , if there is a better
Diesel option. Light, compact, powerful, and Already Sorted . This last part
Is important - don't bog down your program with engine development- find
A diesel that has already been hot-rodded and built to a high standard.
Hopefully, an established engine builder who can supply engines ready to
Go, will work with RGM on the install, the tune, support during the raid, etc.

If the Pugs are running a Ford Diesel, don't rule that out, but I think a U.S.
Based engine builder is probably a good idea, and the more "foreign" the
Diesel, the harder it will be to find an established builder stateside. You want to drop-in
Power, not launch into an engine development project, especially with an engine
That you know nothing about.

The rest of it ? Well, I'd be inclined to leave it. I figure he has the wheelbase
Where he wants it, the Aero seems good,2WD is everybody's new favorite...
He doesn't mind dragging a punkin' through the dirt it seems. He ran IRS
And he didn't keep it, so why push the rig back into the Hub/ CV world of
Maintenance ? You can get stuck with anything - it seems that Loeb has
Gotten stuck more often in the dunes with IRS than RG has with the Ford
9" back there.

By changing only the engine, and tweaking a few things, he would save a ton
Of money over a clean sheet of paper design, and it might be enough to
Push him up front. The Pugs had a junk year with their clean sheet project,
Even with all of their resources.... If RG started all over, it might be 2 years
Of development before "it" was reliable.

This way, you are re-powering a reliable ( with good prep ) rig, tweaking the
Aero, handling etc, and you are back on the road.

IF the diesel pushes it, good, then think about further development
With suspension geometry, wheel base, turning brake, etc, to make it
More nimble in the WRC stuff.
If the Diesel is a lump, and hopeless, and all diesel choices are lumps.....
Then maybe it is time to start all over.
I'd start with the diesel and then take a look around.

If it was a Ford Diesel, he could call it the FORDINI, but since he'd need a
G in there, it could become a FORDINGI...
I know RG loves the V8 / American Noise program, but if it is the hold up
On speed, it has to go.

Last edited:

Bajabones

RG should build a device that blocks RDC from his PC. How about starting your own team then you can use the term "I will" rather than "you should"..

Anaheim Gear

I think a 2WD Cherokee or Grand Cherokee bodied IRS car with the 3.0 Eco-Diesel offered in the Grand (420lbs/ft) mated to the Albins ST6 would be a cool/interesting platform. Definitely not RG's style but itd be cool to see him team up with FCA/Jeep

Suhaib Kiani

I think a 2WD Cherokee or Grand Cherokee bodied IRS car with the 3.0 Eco-Diesel offered in the Grand (420lbs/ft) mated to the Albins ST6 would be a cool/interesting platform. Definitely not RG's style but itd be cool to see him team up with FCA/Jeep
Jeep sounds cool....
Interestingly, to the best of my knowledge, no Jeep has ever finished any Dakar....
Hopefully I am wrong and there is the odd one or two....

On the Topic though, I need to think it through with a clear head, but quickly on the diesel: I dont think RG has the budget or the time at this stage to go for it. Some years ago the Toyota team said it that the cost of maintaining the injectors and fuel pumps is too high for them. There may be more to it, but if Toyota are not able to do it, I don't see RG going down this road anytime soon.

Last edited:

Yumaoffroad

maybe a different trans the 350 hp 427 is blowing them up easy, a pugs ZF trans like pugs would be nce

TRUKTOR

All Computers have selectivity built in - you have to choose to click in and
Join the fray on RDC. I imagine RG has thought of or heard of most anything
We'd come up with here..... Except the Screw-Drive Tractor with the Buffalo
On it. That has Dakar Winner written all over it.
This is all for entertainment . I think RG 'should' do whatever he thinks is best
For his program.

Bull-dust

The BMW factory builds the X models in Spartanburg.
BMW Plant Spartanburg Is Top U.S. Auto Exporter
Get a few of the best new engines removed after they have been run up fully on the final factory test.
(N57S 3 liter triple turbo diesel)
They seem to have no problem changing engine names in Formula 1 e.g the TAG - Heuer (Nissan/ Renault hybrid Power unit)

Anaheim Gear

maybe a different trans the 350 hp 427 is blowing them up easy, a pugs ZF trans like pugs would be nce
Its definitely an option. The ZF is probably more expensive than the Albins setup & harder to get. The ST6i is plenty strong and can handle atleast twice the power the Gordini is putting down, its in his TT with 900+ HP. I may have missed something but i don't recall any trans problems for him or sheldon either.

Turbo-Diesel seems like a must at those altitudes though.

Anaheim Gear

Jeep sounds cool....
Interestingly, to the best of my knowledge, no Jeep has ever finished any Dakar....
Hopefully I am wrong and there is the odd one or two....

On the Topic though, I need to think it through with a clear head, but quickly on the diesel: I dont think RG has the budget or the time at this stage to go for it. Some years ago the Toyota team said it that the cost of maintaining the injectors and fuel pumps is too high for them. There may be more to it, but if Toyota are not able to do it, I don't see RG going down this road anytime soon.
I do now remember hearing that about the injectors. TD seems like a great idea to most all of us on here, but I'm sure there is learning curve running a diesel. I agree that he's probably going to stick to a conventional setup, but if he made good on that threat to rethink the program and not return, i would like to see him take a real long time to test a TD setup and make it work and come back to SA with program thats more competitive.

Car designed after Pro 4 Loors. Except mid engine throuth V drive .twin progressive gas turbo engine Shift on fly 4x4 These trucks are being tested every weekend all summer long

FlyHiFlyLo

Ace Mechanic
5) CHALLENGE NRJ: “ALTERNATIVE ENERGY” a) In the T1, T2 and T3 Groups, there will be a challenge for Cross-Country Vehicles powered by alternative energy (biodegradable fuel, hybrids engines, ethanol, gas, hydrogen, etc.). Vehicles will be accepted in this challenge upon receipt of a detailed file, presented before 1st October 2015. b) These Vehicles must have sufficient range to cover the distance from the Bivouac to the Finish of the Selective Section, except for 100% electric Vehicles which may, upon request, and after approval, ask for a change of battery(ies) / recharge(s) at bike refuelling (refuelling point organised for bikes throughout the Event), at the Start of the Selective Section, the Finish of the Selective Section, and possibly at CPs, with a maximum of one battery / recharge change every 250 km. For Vehicles using biodegradable fuels, the fuel used to travel from the Bivouac to the Start of the Selective Section, as well as the Selective Section itself, must be the fuel declared at Scrutineering. c) Checks may be carried out at the start of the Bivouac and/or at the Selective Section, and/or at the Finish of the Selective Section. As a function of any infractions, penalties will be awarded at the discretion of the College of Sporting Stewards.