Ford 4R70W to E4OD Help!

rlury

I have a 97 F150 witch originaly had a 4.6 in it. I swapped in a 5.4 out of an expedition into my truck. Motor ran fine but blew 2 tranys. Swapped in a E4OD trans from the same expediton. Got the wiring harness for the pcm out of the expediton plugged it in and now running into problems with the trans:mad:.

If shifted manually it shifts perfect, but if put into drive it starts in 3rd or 4th.

ran codes and it is saying the TCS is malfuncioning. We adjusted the trans control switch where it needs to be and still same problem. were thinking that the wiring needs to be changed on the harness but we cant find the diagrams anywhere anybody ever ran into this or have any advice for us. were going now to find the harness out of a 4.6 to ohm test the wires see where they go so that we can match to the 5.4 harness and wire into them that way:confused: that is the only idea we have as of now any help is greatly appreciated.

rlury

we did the wireing harness thing and found the 5.4 harness has 5 more wires than the 4.6 the issue we have come to realize is the TRS trans range sensor. that is the code it pulls everytime. i have read in a f150 forum that you cannot us the 4.6 pcm on the E4OD transmission anybody know any truth in that?

Wahl_7s

we did the wireing harness thing and found the 5.4 harness has 5 more wires than the 4.6 the issue we have come to realize is the TRS trans range sensor. that is the code it pulls everytime. i have read in a f150 forum that you cannot us the 4.6 pcm on the E4OD transmission anybody know any truth in that?
That sounds correct the PCM doesn't know the E4OD is there' i'm not an expert but that could be the problem. p.m. DSRacing Cliff might know, you may have to go with a 5.4 PCM if that's possible

loufish

You original trans has more potential...I'd get that re-built by somebody that knows what they are doing, then the re-install will be plug n' play...

Wahl_7s

You original trans has more potential...I'd get that re-built by somebody that knows what they are doing, then the re-install will be plug n' play...
I disagree if built right E4OD is a really good trans. Find a good transmission guy if needbe and stick with the E4OD,if you can make it work!

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
That sounds correct the PCM doesn't know the E4OD is there' i'm not an expert but that could be the problem. p.m. DSRacing Cliff might know, you may have to go with a 5.4 PCM if that's possible
This is probably your easiest solution, get an ECU for the 5.4L and install it into the F-150. The ECU from the 4.6 doesn't recognize or isn't programmed to control the E4OD. Since you are already using the 5.4 trans and wiring harness, using the ECU from the Expedition should resolve the problem.

rlury

We are running the 4.6 ecm we changed the ecm to run coilpacks instead of coil on plug. I think its going to come down to using the 5.4 ecm and redo the coil stuff. didnt want to go that route but may have to. i have a REALLY good transmission guy and the 5.4 just kept burning the trans. thank you for all the input i will post when we get it all buttoned up.

we realllllly want it to get going the truck misses the dirt...

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Baja Fool

I have a 97 F150 witch originaly had a 4.6 in it. I swapped in a 5.4 out of an expedition into my truck. Motor ran fine but blew 2 tranys. Swapped in a E4OD trans from the same expediton. Got the wiring harness for the pcm out of the expediton plugged it in and now running into problems with the trans:mad:.

If shifted manually it shifts perfect, but if put into drive it starts in 3rd or 4th.

ran codes and it is saying the TCS is malfuncioning. We adjusted the trans control switch where it needs to be and still same problem. were thinking that the wiring needs to be changed on the harness but we cant find the diagrams anywhere anybody ever ran into this or have any advice for us. were going now to find the harness out of a 4.6 to ohm test the wires see where they go so that we can match to the 5.4 harness and wire into them that way:confused: that is the only idea we have as of now any help is greatly appreciated.
Take the truck to a trans shop and he(she?) should be able enable all the solenoids in the trans and also sync up the trans with the shifter. Sounds like they disabled 2 of your solenoids thats why you start off in 3rd gear.
My .02

rlury

Take the truck to a trans shop and he(she?) should be able enable all the solenoids in the trans and also sync up the trans with the shifter. Sounds like they disabled 2 of your solenoids thats why you start off in 3rd gear.
My .02
when you say disabled first and second solenoids how would someone have done that and how would a transmission shop enable them again? is there a probram they plug into the obdII that alows them to acces the solenoids?