Ford 9" help

Project1500

Reaction
Ford 9\" help

When installing a 3rd member into the housing should I use a gasket and black silicone, just a gasket or just black silicone?

Should I pull the axles completely when removing the 3rd member or only about 2-3" and let them hang?

Anything else I might be missing?

UndercoverFab

Reaction
Re: Ford 9\" help

i use silicone most of the time cause the gaskt is usually missing from r+p sets, as far as the axles pulled all the way out or just a few inchs its your choice to, just dont anxious and forget to fill it up and use a bottle of friction modifier if its got a posi.
oh yeah dont forget to slide the retainer plates on before you press the bearings on either

Project1500

Reaction

I just need to pull the 3rd member out and put it back in because the gasket blew out.

There is a gasket on it now with silicon should I install a new gasket with silicon or use just silicon? I was wondering if installing it without a gasket and only silicon the axles wouldnt seat properly and cause problems because of the 3rd member being in farther because of no gasket? I have a locker and there is only 5000 miles on the new currie rear should I replace the axle seals?

Anything else?

hoeker

Reaction

the housings are setup for proper alignment with a gasket, silicone should not be needed, but if you see a large nick in the surface it may be wise. i just clean the surfaces and use a new gasket every time with no problems, save the silicone for "band-aids"

depending in milage, it is always wise to clean the housing out good, this can't be done without pulling the axles.

www.rosshoek.com

tedmales

Reaction

i would change the seals anytime i had it apart, it not that much money to know that its the best it can be, it should work without new seals, but if not your going to do it anyway, so cut to the chase and do it now.
just my opinion

Project1500

Reaction

The rear end only has 5000 miles on it so I didnt change out the seals. I ended up using silicon and a gasket. That was the way it was first assembled so I went the same route. Ill fill it with 3 quarts and see if it still pukes out the vent tube hopefully not!

billymanfroy

Reaction

We had a problem we never had before at Yerington that cost us. We always used just silicone, but this time we used a gasket with nylock nuts and blue loctite. After the first 70 miles (one lap) the crew saw the thing dropping fluid. They tightened the nuts, but there was a tear in the gasket (at the very bottom, of course) so it kept leaking. We had to stop at every pit and add fluid. We are going back to just silicone.

Since you already put it together with a gasket, I would HIGHLY recommend you re-torque the nuts after a little while.

Billy

UndercoverFab

Reaction

thats why i tell people to use silicone, because alot of them rip the gasket sliding over the housing studs, if you want piece of mind you could always drill out the nuts and safety wire them after tightening them.
silicone is great stuff if its used sparingly.

Dave_G

Reaction

Next time you put it together with a gasket try using a light coating of Fuel Lube on the gasket. Works much better than silicone.

Dave

michael_loomis

Reaction

how about .... Gasgacinch (sp?)

Dave_G

Reaction

Fuel lube really is good stuff. We don't use silicone on airplanes as gasket sealers anywhere because the oil and fuel have a tendancy to deteriorate it. You have to remember that airplanes are the worlds most notorious oil leaking sives on the planet and fuel lube is magic stuff.

There is one problem with fuel lube though. Trying to get it off your hands is a nightmare. You have to use acetone or MEK to get it off. Gas or solvent won't even phase it.

Dave