ford 9 inch drop out iron vs. aluminum

chrisrobinson85

RDC Crypto
It's a ford ranger with a stock 302 but eventually will have a built 347 stroker. 33" tires. I've never weighed the truck but its probly 5000lbs.

-GMR-

RDC Crypto
I would never run Alum in an offroad application.... but thats just my preference.

I do however have real world 1000 HP cars with Alum through bolt cases.... running them all the time. Here is one example, 335 tire with 600 ish RWHP and 35 spline axles Wavetrac....
complete-with-GT1.jpg

The one pictured is Moser, rated at 1000HP. Strange has a new one that they just released, they claim the same stats as Moser.

jason

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
The Strange aluminum drop out is stronger than a factory iron one. With the smallish tires, light weight and small motor, the aluminum will be more than up to the job. The reduction in unsprung weight and cooler running temps are an extra bonus.

arqangel67

RDC Crypto
Aluminum, even forged, doesn't fair well against Terra Firma

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Neither does cast iron. I have done several trucks including a TT with aluminum drop outs. Not an issue if your using the right parts.

CRAIG_HALL

RDC Crypto
Website
www.halldesigns.com
Quite a few short course trucks run the strange aluminum case, not the OEM style but the larger bearing unit. "ultra case" I think. I can only think of the mileage being the reason they can run it yet not desert trucks.