• Forum membership has its advantages....

ford 9" swap

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
ford 9\" swap

im am looking to swap a 9" out of a lincoln versailles into my ranger with an 8.8". i have never done a swap like this before so what are the things i should look out for? my main concern is the braking system. will the brake lines match? will i be able to use the parking brake on the 9" with the ranger cable? what is a good price to pay for a versailles 9" and does anybody know of one for sale in the socal area?

Ryno

Re: ford 9\" swap

You can find a 9" pretty much anywhere in so cal. I know Fontana and IE have tons of wrecking yards. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it though. Be concerned with total width (end to end), then check out the housing, make sure it's not bent, etc. If you can take out the ring and pinion assembly, I would, and check it out as well. Some yards won't let you, others will. Braking wise, you can make it work, with other hardware. Stainless Steel Brakes, TSI, etc all sell parts, ans most of them are pretty cheap. Wilwood and Baer are the others, but high $$$.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Jerry Zaiden

Just buy one from a reputable rear end shop it will save time and head ache. They will do all the work and research. Put it together and it will be done right.

singlehanded

Re: ford 9" swap

Jerry got any shops that you would suggest?in o.c.

local

blind655

Re: ford 9" swap

I had Currie over in Anaheim build the 9" for my suburban. Haven't had any problems with it and their customer service is good.

Here is a link to their web site <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.currieenterprises.com/>http://www.currieenterprises.com/</A>

Later
Mike

ntsqd

I'm a little lost here. Why change out the 8.8" ? It fits, it works, and presumably it has the right ratio in it. May not be quite as strong as a 9", but it also consumes less power to drive than a 9"
If I recall right those are C-clip axles, why not put a C-clip Eliminator kit in it and convert it to Exploder rear disc's ? The Versailles E-brake won't hold a heavy truck on a hill like the Exploder brake can. Not to mention that most Versilles have been scrounged for that part first. If you want to persist in this direction, Mercury Colony Park Wagons of the same general vintage had rear discs, either as an option or std.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Jimmy8

I know one of the problems with the 8.8 in stock full racing applications is that you can't get 40 spline axles for it, but I doubt that you are wanting to do that.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

Greg

There is a pretty good article in this months 5.0 magazine that details the build-up of a Mark Williams 8.8 with 9" "big" bearings and disks. As a side note, I ran 35's and beat the living piss out of my 8.8 and the only problem I has was the axle tubes seperating from the center section. Good point on the efficiency issue too Thom, although it diminishes as the ratio gets bigger, it is certainly a factor using a stock motor.

Greg

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -

ive decided on buying a explorer 8.8 with discs. i found a pretty good deal on one so im going to go ahead and get it. i went the with explorer 8.8 because it will be plenty stong for my aplication, it is 1.5" wider a side, has disc brakes(will be much easier to get parts for with the thousands of explorers on the road compared to a 9" that may or may not have parts in stock at the parts store), and i wont have to make any drive shaft modifications. plus i found one with a factory limited slip that im going to stiffen up by adding extra clutch packs. the ebrake cables and brake lines should be the same as the ones in my ranger 8.8.

ntsqd

True, but I'll bet if you compare the 8.8 to the 9" ratio for ratio, the 8.8 will come out on top every time. That loss of efficiency is the strength trade-off. More pinion centerline offset = stronger but less efficient. Learned that from Dr. Porsche and his non hypoid VW transaxles. :)

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee